A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Off Topic - Candy Making  (Read 1920 times)

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Off Topic - Candy Making
« on: August 25, 2003, 05:19:07 PM »
Saltwater taffy.

When I find my recipe I'll let you have it.

Haven't found any really good sites.

DKM

Totally off topic

SALT WATER TAFFY

2 cups   Caster Sugar
1 cup   Light Corn Syrup
1 ½ tsp.   Salt
1 ½ cups   Water
2 Tbs.   Butter
¼ tsp.   Extract of choice (i.e. Peppermint, Vanilla, Orange)
7 drops   Food coloring of choice

In a two-quart saucepan combine sugar, salt, corn syrup and water over medium high heat.  Stir constantly until sugar dissolves.  Cook slowly, without stirring, until mixture reaches hard ball stage (250 - 255 Note: Invest in a candy thermometer).  Remove from heat and stir in butter, extract, and food coloring.  Pour into a buttered 15 ½ x 10 ½ x 1” pan.  When taffy is cool enough to handle (but still warm) butter your hands and gather taffy and pull.  When candy is light in color and hard to pull cut into fourths and pull each part into ½" thick strands, then cut into bite size pieces with a pair of scissors.  Wrap each piece in waxed paper.

Credit – This is slight variant of the recipe from the Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2003, 05:19:49 PM by DKM »
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re:Off Topic - Barbecue!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 06:35:31 PM »
Thanks DKM it sounds good.
Randy

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
Off topic#2 - Peanut Brittle
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 08:17:26 AM »
This is hands-down, the best peanut brittle I have ever tasted.
A friend sent it to me and says it's Martha Stewart's.  You don't have to tell anyone that...

Tips before starting:

1) Buy a candy thermometer.  Or, I use a digital meat thermometer that has the wire and probe and it works great.  Also, get a big METAL spoon.

2) Have EVERYTHING pre-measured and ready to go.  I can't stress this enough, as peanut brittle has to be handled quickly for it to set up correctly.

3.) This recipe requires you to stand and stir constantly, so pull up a stool and grab a beer.  It is worth it.

Ingredients:

3 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
4 1/2 cups salted peanuts (I use Costco's Kirkland brand).
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking soda
some Pam

1. spray 2  cookie sheets with Pam.

2. in a heavy 5qt saucepan with lid, combine sugar, corn syrup and 1/2 cup water.  cover and bring to boil over high heat, about 5 min.

3. once you see steam around the edges of lid, remove lid and reduce heat to medium. insert thermometer and continue to boil until it reaches 230 F, about 1 minute.

4. here's the long part:  add 4 1/2 cups peanuts and stir constantly with a METAL spoon until it reaches 300 F, about 13-18 minutes.  By now, it should be fairly thick and brown, but not too brown, kinda golden.  By now, your hand is tired from stirring.

5. here's where you gotta move quick:  remove from heat and quickly add the butter, vanilla and baking soda.  Stir quickly.  Mixture becomes foamy temporarily.  As soon as it's mixed, pour it onto your pre-greased sheets and spread it out evenly, about 1/2" thick.

6. take a break now and crack another beer.  Allow the brittle to cool at least one hour before breaking it up into pieces.

7.  optional, but highly reccomended:  after it's cool and broken, dip half of each broken piece into melted chocolate and let them dry on a greased sheet.  Milk chocolate is my favorite.

***That's it.  Again, have ALL of your ingredients pre-measured, especially the butter, vanilla and soda.  I put them in tiny bowls and dump them in.

ALSO, BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS STUFF!!! IT'S LIKE NAPALM AND WILL BURN YOU LIKE YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE!  IT STICKS TO YOU AND DOESN'T COME OFF UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2003, 08:22:27 AM by pizzaluvr »
"Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke"......
  "And some white toast..."  Jake & Elwood

A D V E R T I S E M E N T