A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Carbonara  (Read 806 times)

Online FeCheF

Re: Carbonara
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2020, 04:03:15 PM »
On a long shot, i stopped at a local mom and pop deli that sells D&W deli products. Who would of thunk they carried Pancetta. This is probably the closest im going to get, they only carry thin sliced, not cubed, they said they would ask their rep if D&W sells a cubed version, or if they can buy it as a roll/roast like prosciutto.

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2020, 04:15:44 PM »
The slices should work fine.  I usually buy whole pancetta and cut thick slices and then strips.  Same for guanciale.  Never cubes.
 You might also try your hand at pasta all'amatriciana.

Rolls
Getting old, memory is the second thing to go......Can't remember the first.

Online FeCheF

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2020, 05:14:51 PM »
The slices should work fine.  I usually buy whole pancetta and cut thick slices and then strips.  Same for guanciale.  Never cubes.
 You might also try your hand at pasta all'amatriciana.

Rolls

Cubed was a bad choice of words. More like diced. Not sure why, but your post about buying whole made me think of checking RD. If i like the Pancetta over pork sausage, i might consider buying whole (if RD carries it) and portion and freeze. Hunting this stuff down is a pain, and expensive in these small packages.

Offline ARenko

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2020, 05:45:20 PM »
Guanciale is quite different from pancetta IMO, but I think pancetta is a decent substitute in carbonara if that's what you can get.  Something you could cube would be better than thin slices, but I'm sure you can make something decent if you otherwise have good technique.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T