A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Today's Bread  (Read 449362 times)

Offline dhorst

Re: Today's Bread
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2013, 06:00:22 PM »
Those loaves really are amazing. I bake a fair bit too and its great to find some bread here as well. I love that you use dill seed. It's difficult to get here in the UK but adds great flavour. I made Cheese and Shallots today, had it with wings too and you guessed it Franks.... Woop woop!!!
The loaf pic is the sourdough one I do with dill seed, jalapeno's, cheese and cracked black pepper you can just see a few chilli flakes thrown in for good measure.

I'll bet that is awesome on it's own, but I also think it would make terrific Panini sandwiches.  I love the addition of chili flakes.  Lord knows Aleppo is often added to my bread dough. >:D

Offline Chifunda

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2013, 08:46:01 AM »
Couple of quick iPad shots of our standard boule. 80/10/10 mix of KA bread flour/rye/white whole wheat, 75% hydration. 
Sixteen hour rise, baked in a Lodge cast iron combo cooker, 25 minutes covered, fifteen uncovered, 450*.

Apologies for the poor quality pics, but it was dinner time.  ;D

Offline JD

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2013, 10:23:28 AM »
Couple of quick iPad shots of our standard boule. 80/10/10 mix of KA bread flour/rye/white whole wheat, 75% hydration. 
Sixteen hour rise, baked in a Lodge cast iron combo cooker, 25 minutes covered, fifteen uncovered, 450*.

Apologies for the poor quality pics, but it was dinner time.  ;D

Looks great Chifunda. Can you quickly explain the cast iron process? For example do you preheat it first? How do you move a 75% risen loaf into a cast iron pan? Any additional tips?

I did a cast iron ciabatta this weekend and it was nearly a disaster.
JD's NY Style
JD's Neapolitan using my Pizza Party WFO

Experience cannot be taught.

-Josh

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2013, 10:51:44 AM »
I too have a ton of trouble transferring these risen loafs into the cast iron.

Offline Chifunda

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2013, 11:12:26 AM »
JD,

Here are my notes to myself for the boule:

"Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add water and incorporate by hand or with a dough whisk for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stretch and fold three times at five minute intervals. Lightly coat the inside of a second medium bowl with cooking spray and place the dough in the bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise 12 - 18 hours at room temperature (approx. 65-72F).

Remove the dough from the bowl, gently form into a rectangle and fold from the bottom, then from each side and from the top. Turn the seam side down and let the dough rest for fifteen minutes. Form into a ball.. Line large stainless bowl with parchment paper and spray with Pam. Place dough on paper, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and let rise 1-2 hours at room temperature, until more than doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 500F. Place combo cooker in the oven at least 30 minutes prior to baking to preheat. Once the dough has more than doubled in volume, Remove  the cooker from the oven, grasp the corners of the parchment paper and place the dough in the skillet half of the combination pot. Dust top with flour if desired and score top with a lame or serrated knife. Reduce oven temperature to 450. Cover with the lid and bake 25 minutes. Remove the lid and bake 15-30 minutes uncovered, until the loaf is nicely browned and registers an internal temperature of ~ 200 .
Cool completely before slicing."

There is a bit of a learning curve when transferring the risen dough to the parchment lined bowl. Use wet hands, a bench scraper and handle it gently!

Hope this helps.  :chef:

Offline Chifunda

« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2013, 11:37:41 AM »
Just to be clear, here's a link to the Lodge combo cooker:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31CP27R6KAL.jpg

Offline JD

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2013, 11:59:25 AM »
Thanks for the write-up Chifunda. I'm going to try this next time, maybe this weekend.
JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline Chifunda

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2013, 12:07:11 PM »
Thanks for the write-up Chifunda. I'm going to try this next time, maybe this weekend.

You're welcome. For what it's worth, here's the recipe for the loaf pictured:

340g bread flour
30g rye flour
30g white whole wheat flour
300g water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp yeast

Offline JD

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2013, 02:02:23 PM »
You're welcome. For what it's worth, here's the recipe for the loaf pictured:

340g bread flour
30g rye flour
30g white whole wheat flour
300g water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp yeast

1/4 tsp yeast +12-18 hour first rise and its not over-fermented?
JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline Chifunda

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2013, 04:05:56 PM »
1/4 tsp yeast +12-18 hour first rise and its not over-fermented?

Never been a problem and I've made this loaf probably a dozen times with two different batches of IDY.  Having said that, we generally keep the house pretty cool both summer and winter and I usually end the first rise at between twelve and fourteen hours.  Yea, it is pretty bubbly by then...looks kinda like a poolish.  :)

Let me know how it turns out if you try it. 

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2013, 10:03:01 AM »
Today's loaves-- 90/10, organic BF/WW....French starter, tartine workflow, baked in lodge combo & le creuset #28 pot..
@dhorst, I'm curious about your use of rice flour. What %?
-clay

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2013, 10:12:02 AM »
Very nice and what a beautiful ear and the crumb looks great!!!
Jon

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2013, 10:12:57 AM »
Those loaves look amazing. They tell the story of a baker who knows his craft.  :chef:  Amazing ears on both.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Chifunda

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2013, 01:24:02 PM »
WOW, what a gorgeous ear!  :drool:

What was the hydration?  I'm finding it impossible to get a good ear at 75%.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2013, 01:33:09 PM »
Today's loaves-- 90/10, organic BF/WW....French starter, tartine workflow, baked in lodge combo & le creuset #28 pot..
@dhorst, I'm curious about your use of rice flour. What %?
-clay
Generally I use about 25 to 30% percent rice flour.  It makes for an amazingly moist crumb.  You're in the Syracuse area?  Hey, maybe we should meet up some time!

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2013, 04:17:32 PM »
Just to be clear, here's a link to the Lodge combo cooker:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31CP27R6KAL.jpg

Here's they way I have found makes it extremely easy to get the loaf into the combo cooker without burning yourself! Simple, but effective. You will need a cane banneton or proofing basket to proof the loaf in - it must have a slightly smaller diameter than the lid (skillet part) of the combo cooker. I find that my "standard" (not sure of their size - maybe for a 1Kg loaf?) bannetons are EXACTLY the right size.

So:

1) Proof the boule in the basket until you are ready to bake it. Make sure the combo cooker is preheated in the oven. Have the proofed boule in the basket ready on the workspace by the oven.
2) Remove the lid (skillet part) of the combo from the oven (use a good oven glove and work quickly!). Flip it upside down and put it down over the top of the proofing basket.
3) Quickly slide the skillet and basket towards the edge of the workspace, with your hand ready to hold the basket as you move it off the workspace.
4) Flip it back the right way up. Put it back down on the workspace (a heat proof pad or kitchen towel is really helpful here)
5) Using the fingertips of both hands, lift up the proofing basket. It's easier if it's a cane one with ridges to grasp. Slash loaf.
6) Pull the bottom (pan piece) of the combo cooker out of the oven, put it over the loaf and then stick the whole lot in the oven.

I've never burnt myself using this approach, and no parchment paper or anything else is needed.

Offline JD

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2013, 08:58:42 PM »
Never been a problem and I've made this loaf probably a dozen times with two different batches of IDY.  Having said that, we generally keep the house pretty cool both summer and winter and I usually end the first rise at between twelve and fourteen hours.  Yea, it is pretty bubbly by then...looks kinda like a poolish.  :)

Let me know how it turns out if you try it.

I'm a little embarrassed to post my results after corkd, but I gave your method a shot this weekend, only used straight bread flour though no rye or WWW. Turned out well (for me). Moving the bread to the dutch oven was no sweat using the parchment. Thanks again for the tips Chifunda.

corkd: Those look great, I thought they were by dhorst for some reason.

*edit* Need to learn how to read.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:15:12 AM by JD »
JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2013, 08:42:42 AM »
Generally I use about 25 to 30% percent rice flour.  It makes for an amazingly moist crumb.  You're in the Syracuse area?  Hey, maybe we should meet up some time!
Thanks, I will experiment with some rice flour.. Nice to discover we're neighbors! We are in the university area--if only there was a pizza destination to congregate w/ fellow bakers....but as you are aware most of them around here are just ok.
**There is a new place called Flame on east fayette, doing very thin "Turkish" pizzas w/ 00 flour in a gas brick oven-- unusual style, & pretty tasty.**
I am building a low-budget dry stacked WFO in the yard & would be glad to share when it's done..
-clay

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2013, 09:06:59 AM »
WOW, what a gorgeous ear!  :drool:

What was the hydration?  I'm finding it impossible to get a good ear at 75%.
Thanks for the comments Jackitup & Johnny!
Chifunda--the hydration on those is 72%, including the levain. Judging from your location, (heat & humid?) maybe you should lower yours a bit?
For me, the key to a good ear is 1) folding, knitting, & rolling the dough before the final proof-- creates tighter skin; 2)making the slice not too deep-- I hold my knife blade really close to the tip, & slice at about 45 degrees, not straight down, & less than 1/4" deep, in a ")" shape. Works almost every time. I have found it to work better when I backed off the hydration a bit...

Offline Chifunda

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2013, 10:49:59 AM »

Chifunda--the hydration on those is 72%, including the levain. Judging from your location, (heat & humid?) maybe you should lower yours a bit?
For me, the key to a good ear is 1) folding, knitting, & rolling the dough before the final proof-- creates tighter skin; 2)making the slice not too deep-- I hold my knife blade really close to the tip, & slice at about 45 degrees, not straight down, & less than 1/4" deep, in a ")" shape. Works almost every time. I have found it to work better when I backed off the hydration a bit...

Thanks for the advice; I'll try backing off on the hydration and work on getting a tighter skin.

One more question, please.  Do you bake on a stone or in some kind of vessel? Thanks again for the help.

wordpress