A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Today's Bread  (Read 406766 times)

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Today's Bread
« Reply #5060 on: June 03, 2019, 06:46:10 PM »
I need some guidance and help with choosing a cast iron pan, please, for bread (and more). This is to replace what was once a nice enameled cast iron pan. Step 2 in this will be to get another enameled one and not trash it making bread. I can figure that part out.

I received this one today. It is too small, particularly in height, for the size I like to make: approx 1 1/2 lb loaves. When I saw the box I thought I wonder when the other half of this thing is coming. My fault. Despite having spent a lot of time looking online, I was not thorough enough. I should have walked in somewhere and bought one as I would have known instantly if I thought it was suitable or not.

Is the second picture more like what many of you like? Or do you know of a better choice? The enameled one I have looks to be about the same size as pic 2. Hans mentioned the Bayou cooker not long ago. Its nice but I am working on problem 1 right now. Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Tony

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5061 on: June 03, 2019, 08:00:04 PM »
I have the one in the bottom picture. With my current setup the pot doesnt fit in the oven with the lid so I use one of those cast iron tortilla griddles as the lid.
Quote from: HansB on Yesterday at 07:19:39 AM
You only need to rotate it if it needs to be rotated.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5062 on: June 03, 2019, 08:36:03 PM »
Thanks Tim. I meant to put the links in to Amazon for each of those and forgot.
-Tony

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #5063 on: June 03, 2019, 09:20:51 PM »
Tony, when you say 1 1/2 pound, are you talking about just the flour, or the flour and the water ?  I have the top one , and make loaves with 450 grams of whole wheat flour, 80% hydration, and find that size is ideal.  I think the next size up is 5 quarts.  To me , the goal is to size the loaf so that when risen, it takes up nearly all the space in the DO, that maximizes the amount of steam that is kept near the loaf. 

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5064 on: June 03, 2019, 10:25:17 PM »
Thanks, Barry, that is good to know. Mine is 1 1/2 lbs (very close) after the bake. Its approx 817g mixed dough. 426 g flour, 384 (90%) water. 817 g dough, a little less than 680 baked.  Its not the only dough I like or bread I make, but the pan needs to work for this one. I dont want to bake one in the new pan then return it. Maybe I should bake one in the old pan and see how it fits in the new one. Thanks for your input.
-Tony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5065 on: June 03, 2019, 10:31:06 PM »
Tony, I use the Combo Cooker in the top photo all the time with 1,000g/2 pound loaves like Reply #5041 above. Never had a problem.
Hans

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5066 on: June 03, 2019, 10:41:07 PM »
Tony, I use the Combo Cooker in the top photo all the time with 1,000g/2 pound loaves like Reply #5041 above. Never had a problem.
Thanks so much, Hans. That settles that. My life just got a lot easier! Beautiful loaf, btw. I loved it when I first saw it but was not thinking about pan sizing then. Still wasnt when I ordered this one  :-D  but it appears I have landed on my feet (again).

-Tony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5067 on: June 03, 2019, 11:05:50 PM »
Thanks so much, Hans. That settles that. My life just got a lot easier! Beautiful loaf, btw. I loved it when I first saw it but was not thinking about pan sizing then. Still wasnt when I ordered this one  :-D  but it appears I have landed on my feet (again).

Yes you have!
Hans

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #5068 on: June 03, 2019, 11:27:31 PM »
I have both of those dutch ovens and use them pretty interchangeably.

Offline vdempsey

• Supporting Member
  • Keep calm and make pizza.
« Reply #5069 on: June 04, 2019, 04:37:09 AM »
Made some Banana bread with discarded starter. Fermented bananas, whole wheat flour, maple syrup and threw in some walnuts, golden raisins and cacao nibs.
Vida - Naturally leavened pizza made at home electric oven.

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5070 on: June 04, 2019, 03:30:28 PM »
Sourdough loaf cooked in a casserole dish. Touch well fired on top and my scoring leaves a lot to be desired still. Was very tasty though. Rye and wholemeal levain.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5071 on: June 04, 2019, 08:16:10 PM »
Sourdough loaf cooked in a casserole dish. Touch well fired on top and my scoring leaves a lot to be desired still. Was very tasty though. Rye and wholemeal levain.
Id like to have a piece of that with some funky cheese. From what I can see in the first picture it looks like you probably had a nice crumb inside.
-Tony

Offline vdempsey

• Supporting Member
  • Keep calm and make pizza.
« Reply #5072 on: June 04, 2019, 10:01:39 PM »
Id like to have a piece of that with some funky cheese. From what I can see in the first picture it looks like you probably had a nice crumb inside.

^^^ and I'll have the same please.
Vida - Naturally leavened pizza made at home electric oven.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #5073 on: June 04, 2019, 10:13:49 PM »
Tony,  I realized that from the photo , the one you bought looks like the one I had, but to be sure, the one I have is the Lodge 3 quart, and I have never had the loaf hit the top of the pan while making bread  -  again using 450 www and 80% hydration.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5074 on: June 04, 2019, 11:42:25 PM »
Tony,  I realized that from the photo , the one you bought looks like the one I had, but to be sure, the one I have is the Lodge 3 quart, and I have never had the loaf hit the top of the pan while making bread  -  again using 450 www and 80% hydration.
Thanks for the follow-up, Barry. Im sure they are the same. This is the link to the one I bought. It says 3 quart but if I remember right the pan itself is stamped 3.2. I put it back in the box to return and have not taken it out again, but plan to soon.

I appreciate everyone's help. I hate retuning things, especially heavy things, and extra especially if the reason is carelessness on my part. I'm convinced it is going to work great. It will be nice to have the smaller of the two pieces for when I need a screaming hot surface and where capacity is not important (although there is more room in there than I first thought).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JKG9M/?tag=pmak-20
-Tony

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5075 on: June 10, 2019, 08:53:53 AM »
I baked a big batch for another food swap at the co-op. 12 loaves at 750 grams and one small one. It was 20% whole grain, a mix of emmer, red fife and rye. Pretty happy with the results.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5076 on: June 10, 2019, 09:58:07 AM »
I baked a big batch for another food swap at the co-op. 12 loaves at 750 grams and one small one. It was 20% whole grain, a mix of emmer, red fife and rye. Pretty happy with the results.
Those are beauties. I think you could make a lot of money if you structure a business how Gillette does things: sell the bread for next to nothing or even give it away, then charge huge bucks for sharp knives.  ;D
-Tony

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5077 on: June 10, 2019, 01:31:38 PM »
Thanks Tony!

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5078 on: June 11, 2019, 08:12:38 PM »
First bake in my new combo cooker. Thanks everyone for the help. Got a little darker than I intended. Burned the crap out my hand - twice in same place so will be trying the no preheat idea next! Thanks, Hans, for the lame.

Approx 1,050 g dough, 65%, 1/8 tsp LDMP 60L, 6 hr poolish, 48 hr CF, 3 hrs on counter before bake.

-Tony

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #5079 on: June 11, 2019, 08:48:24 PM »
Tony,  glad you liked the combo.  So this is a guarded endorsement of https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078WDR6DR/?tag=pmak-20    The good part is that these are the best that I have found for insulating against heat.  I preheat both parts of the combo cooker on my range top burners in my kitchen to around 400.  Put on the gloves, and I pick up the bottom of the combo, invert it, and using the other hand pick up the banneton, bring it up to the combo, then flip back so that the bread is on the combo.  Then I pick up the top and put it on the combo, then carry the whole thing into the garage and load it into my oven in the garage-  my hands don't ever get any sense of the heat.  I used to use the gloves that are advertised 932 F that are woven with strips of silicone on the outside, and at first when I picked up the cast iron it was fine, but it didn't take long for the heat to soak through and get very uncomfortable.   The downside of these gloves is that the lining usually comes loose from the rubber part on one or more of the fingers pretty quickly, so you have to work with them to get the lining to get back in place  ( I use a chopstick and some wiggling around ).   

wordpress