A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Today's Bread  (Read 420171 times)

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
Re: Today's Bread
« Reply #5220 on: October 13, 2019, 11:30:43 PM »
thanks Hans, I did leave the 2nd one in the oven 5 minutes longer (45 mins total) but it didn't gain much color. next time I'll let it go longer but chad robertson does mention in Tartine that longer fermentation results in deeper color.
What's your process and ferment time. I follow Chad's recipe. Mixing over several hours and cf over night

Jerry

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5221 on: October 14, 2019, 01:09:06 AM »
Too bad about your oven but I think you'll really like the Rofco!
^^^  I had to Google that one. It looks like a serious oven for your bread and maybe pizza. You might be able to get an investment tax credit in the amount of its price. May be worth looking into.
-Tony

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #5222 on: October 14, 2019, 07:02:41 AM »
Tim,  my guess is you had a Jenn Air.  It uses a downdraft that exhaust through the floor.  I had a friend with one that died, and we changed it out and we had to fill in the floor.  Hope you like your Rofco, and looking forward to your review. 

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5223 on: October 14, 2019, 08:19:35 AM »
Too bad about your oven but I think you'll really like the Rofco!

Im looking forward to it! Being able to bake a dozen loaves at once is going to be great.

^^^  I had to Google that one. It looks like a serious oven for your bread and maybe pizza. You might be able to get an investment tax credit in the amount of its price. May be worth looking into.

Im hoping itll work well for pizza too. I will definitely look into the tax credit. Thanks!

Tim,  my guess is you had a Jenn Air.  It uses a downdraft that exhaust through the floor.  I had a friend with one that died, and we changed it out and we had to fill in the floor.  Hope you like your Rofco, and looking forward to your review. 

Thanks Barry. The old stove was an Amana from around 2004. The guy at the store said if we wanted to replace it with another down draft our only option would be a Jenn Air. I figure well have to fill in the floor but we can live with the stove sticking out six inches for now.
Quote from: HansB on Yesterday at 07:19:39 AM
You only need to rotate it if it needs to be rotated.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5224 on: October 14, 2019, 11:45:50 AM »
Tim, the new Jenn Air downdrafts have a top temp of 500. Also, gone is the high temp cleaning cycle. It has been replaced by some water method I have not tried yet. From what I have read you put a couple cups of water in a tray they provide, which is then taken up to (only) 200 degrees. I got mine as a present and am happy to have it. The gas top kicks butt. The electric oven leaves a lot to be desired though imo. It is a huge oven but the slow warmup time, no clean chcle as we knew it, and top temp of 500 makes me thing they undersized the electric elements.
-Tony

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5225 on: October 14, 2019, 12:59:01 PM »
Tim, the new Jenn Air downdrafts have a top temp of 500. Also, gone is the high temp cleaning cycle. It has been replaced by some water method I have not tried yet. From what I have read you put a couple cups of water in a tray they provide, which is then taken up to (only) 200 degrees. I got mine as a present and am happy to have it. The gas top kicks butt. The electric oven leaves a lot to be desired though imo. It is a huge oven but the slow warmup time, no clean chcle as we knew it, and top temp of 500 makes me thing they undersized the electric elements.

Thanks for the info Tony. I didnt really consider it because of the price. I got a Kitchenaid. The size of the oven was what made me want it. I can fit 3 dutch ovens on one shelf.9

It was just installed with no problem at all. It looks like it goes up to 550. Im gonna try some pizza in it tonight with dough made last Monday so well see what happens.
This has the aquaclean function as well.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5226 on: October 15, 2019, 10:19:46 AM »
Thanks for the info Tony. I didnt really consider it because of the price. I got a Kitchenaid. The size of the oven was what made me want it. I can fit 3 dutch ovens on one shelf.9

It was just installed with no problem at all. It looks like it goes up to 550. Im gonna try some pizza in it tonight with dough made last Monday so well see what happens.
This has the aquaclean function as well.
Sorry Tim, it took me a while to search my old posts this morning (when I could have just walked downstairs to the kitchen and looked at it). Although we previously have had 2 Jenn-Air slide-in downdraft ranges in our island spot, the new/current one is a Kitchen-Aid (KSDG950ESS). The MSRP is crazy expensive; i would have never spent this much without considering other brands. My son, however got it for 5% of MSRP on a trade show return, so we are thankful to have it Everything else I wrote above is accurate for the KA model we just got. This one replaced a Jenn-Air duel fuel that had fairly weak cooktop burners with an excellent electric convection oven that did reach 550. The Jenn-Air under-oven on another wall has been in place since before Whirlpool owned the Jenn-Air brand. It is electric and has a top temp of 500 (no convect).
-Tony

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5227 on: October 26, 2019, 02:12:21 PM »
First try with the bottom half of combo cooker at room temp. In the past, I have pre-heated a DO to 550, loaded it and put it back in the oven at 515 covered for 30 min, then 13 min at 485 uncovered.

Taking Hanss advice and encouragement to pre-heat only the top half and noting his bake time of 475 for 22 min, then 450 for about 25 min, I made some changes. Fwiw, I am still learning to work with a new oven that has a top end of 500 rather than 550. My tiles for pizza were in the oven so I left them in, figured it might help heat up that iron bottom piece more quickly. I went with 500 covered for 30 min, after which it was quite pale. I then went 13 min more at 500 uncovered, then added 5 more min at 500. The color improved quite a bit in the final few minutes. Interior temp, which I usually do not check, was 211.6 when I pulled it. Also, used 10% spelt for the first time. Looking forward to trying it tonight with some soup my wife is making.

Edit: to add crumb shot. The taste of the spelt was interesting. I will use it again, maybe for pizza too.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 08:09:07 PM by foreplease »
-Tony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5228 on: October 26, 2019, 02:18:48 PM »
Nice, I bet that will taste great Tony!
Hans

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5229 on: October 26, 2019, 02:21:22 PM »
Nice, I bet that will taste great Tony!
Thanks, Hans, and thank you for your help.
-Tony

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5230 on: November 03, 2019, 01:34:54 PM »
I wont get to taste this one. Bread and salt for a new neighbor.

-Tony

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5231 on: November 11, 2019, 08:47:36 PM »
Baked a ton of bread this week! In addition to the regular subscriptions we also had a pastrami sandwich popup and the food swap at the co-op. I made 6 dozen loaves total.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5232 on: November 11, 2019, 08:51:45 PM »
Very nice! Have you been using the Rofco?
Hans

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5233 on: November 11, 2019, 08:57:39 PM »
Thanks! Ive been using it about 3 weeks now. Im still figuring out times and temps but it is so much less work than using dutch ovens.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5234 on: November 11, 2019, 09:53:10 PM »
I used one when I took a class with Sarah Owens. They are pretty sweet!
Hans

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5235 on: November 11, 2019, 11:56:06 PM »
This is really fun to follow, Tim. Very nice work. Dairy farmers and butter producers should be thanking you!

Im coming in tomorrow a for a couple days of appointments at UC. We are staying with my son and his wife tomorrow night. We talked about going to a place near them that makes their own pastrami but Ive had pastrami (it was good) twice in the past couple weeks so well look for something else. Neither of our wives cares for it but would have found something to like. Well see how late my 4:00 pm runs and what traffic looks like between Hyde Park and Southport.

I would have got a huge kick out of trying one at your pop-up. Sounds like you are working hard and having a great time. Thats a success in my book no matter the dollars attached to it. Great for your daughter too, Im sure.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 11:57:42 PM by foreplease »
-Tony

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5236 on: November 12, 2019, 11:38:51 AM »
I used one when I took a class with Sarah Owens. They are pretty sweet!

Thats really cool Hans! I checked her book out of the library not too long ago. How was the class?

This is really fun to follow, Tim. Very nice work. Dairy farmers and butter producers should be thanking you!

Im coming in tomorrow a for a couple days of appointments at UC. We are staying with my son and his wife tomorrow night. We talked about going to a place near them that makes their own pastrami but Ive had pastrami (it was good) twice in the past couple weeks so well look for something else. Neither of our wives cares for it but would have found something to like. Well see how late my 4:00 pm runs and what traffic looks like between Hyde Park and Southport.

I would have got a huge kick out of trying one at your pop-up. Sounds like you are working hard and having a great time. Thats a success in my book no matter the dollars attached to it. Great for your daughter too, Im sure.

Thanks Tony!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5237 on: November 12, 2019, 11:46:45 AM »
Thats really cool Hans! I checked her book out of the library not too long ago. How was the class?

It was a good and fun 3 day class. She's now moving to CA and will be doing more classes out there.
Hans

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5238 on: November 17, 2019, 08:12:07 PM »
I made 2 today. One was part of a dinner we took to a friend who is recovering from her second knee replacement in the last few weeks. The darker crusted one was the result of me saying to myself I wonder what convect-roast does? We kept that one and loved it. Both had the same interior temp. The darker one actually baked 5 min less than the other one.

20% spelt and I added 1% sugar after having trouble browning last time.

-Tony

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5239 on: November 18, 2019, 07:02:53 PM »
I made 2 today. One was part of a dinner we took to a friend who is recovering from her second knee replacement in the last few weeks. The darker crusted one was the result of me saying to myself I wonder what convect-roast does? We kept that one and loved it. Both had the same interior temp. The darker one actually baked 5 min less than the other one.

20% spelt and I added 1% sugar after having trouble browning last time.
very nice bread Tony.... Is that a no-knead recipe you work with?
Looks great... I'd be happy with either one!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

wordpress