A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Today's Bread  (Read 404482 times)

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Today's Bread
« Reply #5080 on: June 11, 2019, 09:06:19 PM »
Thanks for that very helpful info, Barry. I’ve seen these gloves but wasn’t sure what to believe. It’s impressive you could carry the hot pan out to your garage! I thought about stovetop warming but haven’t tried it yet.
-Tony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5081 on: June 11, 2019, 10:05:43 PM »
First bake in my new combo cooker. Thanks everyone for the help. Got a little darker than I intended. Burned the crap out my hand - twice in same place so will be trying the no preheat idea next! Thanks, Hans, for the lame.

Approx 1,050 g dough, 65%, 1/8 tsp LDMP 60L, 6 hr poolish, 48 hr CF, 3 hrs on counter before bake.

Good looking loaf Tony. You're welcome, looks like you used it well!

My bread is no different without preheating the base. It makes it so nice not dealing with a 500° piece of cast iron!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:07:25 PM by HansB »
Hans

Offline vdempsey

• Supporting Member
  • Keep calm and make pizza.
« Reply #5082 on: June 13, 2019, 09:14:47 AM »
Spelt Sourdough Bread
Vida - Naturally leavened pizza made at home electric oven.

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5083 on: June 16, 2019, 01:36:35 PM »
Bread made with leftover Neapolitan pizza dough. Browned just fine, even when using 00 flour (no sugar, malt or oil)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 01:39:51 PM by DoouBall »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5084 on: June 16, 2019, 09:26:57 PM »
Bread made with leftover Neapolitan pizza dough. Browned just fine, even when using 00 flour (no sugar, malt or oil)

Perfect!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PizzAmateur

• There is nothing wrong with pizza 3 times a day.
« Reply #5085 on: June 17, 2019, 01:21:34 AM »

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Beautiful!  If it was whole wheat, it would really remind me of the breads I had in Rome, Italy back in 1976.  Or was it Florence?

Nicely done!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:37:38 AM by PizzAmateur »

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #5086 on: June 17, 2019, 07:59:00 PM »
Two dough balls baked off on a Weber kettle. They are great when then are still warm and the butter melts in, but that goes for pretty much all bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5087 on: June 17, 2019, 10:16:32 PM »
Two dough balls baked off on a Weber kettle. They are great when then are still warm and the butter melts in, but that goes for pretty much all bread.

Wow!   :drool:

Nicely done.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5088 on: June 18, 2019, 09:47:26 PM »
Stopped by The Manufactory Tartine/Bianco in LA today just to try the bread. The assorted plate include the Country, Sesame and Oat breads. Seeing and tasting his bread I could really appreciate his really dark bakes. Tim does a good job at that but I have never baked that dark. It does add great flavor! My Country loaf using his method/formula comes pretty close. His Sesame had much more flavor than mine. The crumb of the Sesame slice here was also much darker than the photo in Tartine 3. The only thing I have done different than his formula is that I have not added Wheat Germ, maybe that makes a difference? Glad I stopped by to finally taste his bread.
Hans

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5089 on: June 18, 2019, 10:14:32 PM »
That is a bucket list type of plate for me (I’m simple)! Glad you got to experience it, Hans. Is there any semolina in that sesame loaf? That is one of my favorite combinations. I agree with you on the darker bakes: Tim does it consistently well — I’d even say bravely — and it does impart a terrific taste. I love the dark crust with that crumb on country loaf.
-Tony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5090 on: June 18, 2019, 10:50:13 PM »
Me too Tony, just bread and butter is one of my favorite things. No semolina in the Sesame loaf.
Hans

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5091 on: June 19, 2019, 01:53:02 AM »
Me too Tony, just bread and butter is one of my favorite things. No semolina in the Sesame loaf.

Hans, have you tried your hand at making your own homemade cultured butter yet? If not, you must!  :drool:
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5092 on: June 19, 2019, 08:45:49 AM »
I’d love to try Tartine’s bread. I actually have never set out to bake the classic Tartine loaf but I read through it a few months ago and realized that it’s pretty much what I do anyway. Welcome to the dark side Hans.
Quote from: HansB on Yesterday at 07:19:39 AM
“You only need to rotate it if it needs to be rotated.“

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5093 on: June 19, 2019, 11:57:23 AM »
Hans, have you tried your hand at making your own homemade cultured butter yet? If not, you must!  :drool:

I have Jon...amazing compared to store bought!
Hans

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5094 on: June 19, 2019, 11:58:10 AM »
I’d love to try Tartine’s bread. I actually have never set out to bake the classic Tartine loaf but I read through it a few months ago and realized that it’s pretty much what I do anyway. Welcome to the dark side Hans.

;D It sure brings a lot of flavor!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:38:39 PM by HansB »
Hans

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5095 on: June 19, 2019, 12:07:50 PM »
I have Jon...amazing compared to store bought!

NOT even in the same dimension!!! I take a little further with the cultured part so it gets a little more of that funky edge, VERY dangerous to have around the house, takes much restraint! When you can find some less processed cream from a co-op or natural food store all the better :drool:
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5096 on: June 19, 2019, 08:10:36 PM »
I bought 50lbs of white flour from a food service place that’s open to the public. It was Bay State Milling Heritage European flour. It was the only unbleached flour that I could see. Figured it was worth a shot at 15 bucks.
The bread came out good. 70% white, 20 whole wheat, 5 rye, 5 spelt, somewhere around 80% hydration.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5097 on: June 19, 2019, 11:09:56 PM »
I bought 50lbs of white flour from a food service place that’s open to the public. It was Bay State Milling Heritage European flour. It was the only unbleached flour that I could see. Figured it was worth a shot at 15 bucks.
The bread came out good. 70% white, 20 whole wheat, 5 rye, 5 spelt, somewhere around 80% hydration.
Tim, if some of that ends up as pizza please point that out the first time. Your bread looks delicious.
-Tony

Online timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5098 on: June 20, 2019, 08:21:30 AM »
Tim, if some of that ends up as pizza please point that out the first time. Your bread looks delicious.

Thanks Tony. I have a pizza dough in the fridge for tomorrow using this flour. I’ll post it, hopefully not in the thread of shame. I also picked up some Grande and a can of 7/11 so I guess I’m making NY style.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5099 on: June 20, 2019, 04:32:05 PM »
Looks great Tim!