A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Today's Bread  (Read 420166 times)

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Today's Bread
« Reply #5160 on: August 23, 2019, 09:50:46 PM »
Thanks Jon!
Quote from: HansB on Yesterday at 07:19:39 AM
“You only need to rotate it if it needs to be rotated.“

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • A sour dough makes a happy me
« Reply #5161 on: August 25, 2019, 01:36:25 AM »
Made three loaves that came out okay, but a bit erratic pattern. They proofed quite fast, just a bit over 2 hours in bulk (hot). Long way ways to go yet with fermentation and handling.
-Heine. Mostly Neapolitan sourdough pizzas in an electric Effeuno P134H.

Offline bregent

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5163 on: August 26, 2019, 02:24:27 PM »
Tartine Basic Country Bread.

Also, a few months ago I had posted about a problem with gummy crumb. Since going back to my normal levant quantity, this has not been a problem.

Bob

Online Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5164 on: August 26, 2019, 04:42:22 PM »
I have decided to make another sourdough starter, this time I rinsed some homegrown blueberries and used that water for the starter water. 24 hours in and the nascent starter smells very yoghurty, more so than my other starter. will see how it goes

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5165 on: August 26, 2019, 05:10:43 PM »
I have decided to make another sourdough starter, this time I rinsed some homegrown blueberries and used that water for the starter water. 24 hours in and the nascent starter smells very yoghurty, more so than my other starter. will see how it goes
What is the purpose of using blueberry water? If for taste, won't that disappear once you feed it with water and flour?

Online Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5166 on: August 26, 2019, 05:55:03 PM »
it's not the flavour of the blueberries i'm after, fruit are covered in wild yeast and lactobacillus. So i'm essentially jumpstarting the fermentation process.  You can use any fresh fruit or even dried fruit like raisins although if buying some i'd only use organic ones to maximise the potential amount of wild yeasts and bacteria.

Some of the best ciders and beers are made using natural fermentation, (and bread and of course pizza!) which is a bit similar. Also some good natural wines too, although I have had some utterly horrific ones as well  :-X
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 05:56:44 PM by Hanglow »

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5167 on: August 27, 2019, 02:07:47 AM »
I see. It was a funny timing shortly after Hans posted the link to SD misconceptions and myth, which had a comment on that topic. Juices seems to do something.

6. The addition of fruits, vegetables, yeast, etc. can help establish starters

On the contrary, the addition of fruits, vegetables, yeast, and so on hinders the growth and stability of starters. The most apt microorganisms for starters are grain-based. Therefore, flour and water is enough to establish a healthy and effective starter.

One exception is the temporary addition of fruit juices. Fruit juices can deter the growth of foul smelling bacteria in newborn starters. However, this is not necessary as regular feedings of the starter will eradicate such bacteria in due time.

Online Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5168 on: August 27, 2019, 11:59:04 AM »
That is interesting, although pane Di matera  is made using sourdough derived from fruit and it's one of the greatest breads  imo. I guess it will depend on what becomes dominant in the culture

Offline bregent

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5169 on: August 27, 2019, 12:07:48 PM »
Seems to me that the microbes you want in your starter are the ones that naturally occur on grain and are in the flour. Adding strains that flourish on fruit seems counter productive even though it may cause the starter to activate faster.
Bob

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5170 on: August 28, 2019, 11:57:38 PM »
Seems to me that the microbes you want in your starter are the ones that naturally occur on grain and are in the flour. Adding strains that flourish on fruit seems counter productive even though it may cause the starter to activate faster.
I don’t disagree. Honestly, I don’t know enough about it to agree or disagree. Interestingly though, a chapter from Bourdain’s “Kitchen Confidential” has always stuck with me: Ch 8 “Adam Real-Last-Name-Unknown” aka the “feed the bitch” chapter. Adam was a gifted baker with many substance and professional discipline problems. When he could not drag himself to work in Bourdain’s kitchen, he would call in to implore Bourdain to feed the bitch, which was his massive starter (mentioned as 250 lbs but I don’t know...). Some of the things mentioned were rotting grapes, mushrooms, and red peppers. It was conventionally refreshed with water and flour though. It’s a hilarious look at the anguish Adam causes Anthony vs the trade off for incredible bread and pizza.

-Tony

Online Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5171 on: August 29, 2019, 12:46:21 PM »
Well I promptly forgot about my new starter untill I smelled some vomit eminating from my corner cupboard where I left it :-[ I'll give it another go at some point though

Butyric acid is really foul
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 12:48:14 PM by Hanglow »

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5172 on: August 29, 2019, 02:24:35 PM »
Sourdough donuts (officially bomboloni I guess, used perfectloaf recipe as guideline).  They were filled on request with pastry cream or jam.  Wish they would keep the crispy exterior longer!  The tiny little bumps (I guess similar to bagel bird's eyes?) are likely result from the high-humid proof - it's difficult adjusting for it with the new-to-me wine fridge proofing chamber.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5173 on: August 30, 2019, 12:45:42 AM »
Sourdough donuts (officially bomboloni I guess, used perfectloaf recipe as guideline).  They were filled on request with pastry cream or jam.  Wish they would keep the crispy exterior longer!  The tiny little bumps (I guess similar to bagel bird's eyes?) are likely result from the high-humid proof - it's difficult adjusting for it with the new-to-me wine fridge proofing chamber.
can you make those with refrigerator dinner rolls?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5174 on: August 30, 2019, 12:29:10 PM »
can you make those with refrigerator dinner rolls?
Not sure what "refrigerator dinner rolls" are (just "dinner rolls" that ferment in the fridge before baking??).  If so, then yes, yes I can.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5175 on: August 30, 2019, 10:41:36 PM »
Not sure what "refrigerator dinner rolls" are (just "dinner rolls" that ferment in the fridge before baking??).  If so, then yes, yes I can.u

🌞.  Canned biscuits dude!  😁
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5176 on: September 02, 2019, 08:31:54 PM »
I threw a few wheat berries in my front yard this spring. This loaf has all the wheat I harvested. I only ended up with 70 grams (I might have planted more than that!) and it was a pain to thresh and winnow the wheat. It looked cool in the yard though so I might do it again next year.

Online HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5177 on: September 02, 2019, 09:08:52 PM »
Very cool Tim!
Hans

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5178 on: September 02, 2019, 09:59:06 PM »
Very cool Tim!
^^^  It sure is. You let me know if you ever need a tractor, Tim! :)
-Tony

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5179 on: September 02, 2019, 10:28:35 PM »
Thanks Hans, Tony!
A tractor’s not a bad idea. My wife could drive it to work!