A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Today's Bread  (Read 437812 times)

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Today's Bread
« Reply #5300 on: February 15, 2020, 11:40:27 PM »
Sourdough bagels (spiked with a little ADY)!  These were a bit overproofed, hence the slightly breadier structure. Still tasty.  Team caraway FTW!  ;D

Offline bjab

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5301 on: February 25, 2020, 04:24:52 PM »
They do look like bagels . :)

Offline TravisNTexas

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5302 on: February 26, 2020, 09:13:28 AM »
Very nice bagels!  Did you use lye (sodium hydroxide)?
Cheers,
Travis

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5303 on: February 27, 2020, 12:31:13 PM »
Talked my Dad through making this on the phone last night and this morning. He will be 86 soon. He is very happy with this and Iím happy for him. By sunset Sat I guarantee my brother will be over there telling him this is BS and to do something else instead.  :-D

-Tony

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5304 on: February 27, 2020, 07:50:42 PM »
You both should be very proud.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5305 on: February 27, 2020, 08:22:02 PM »
You both should be very proud.
Thanks, Barry.
-Tony

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5306 on: March 02, 2020, 08:56:36 AM »
Pretty.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline wolfamongscrubs

• Slice of Life
« Reply #5307 on: March 02, 2020, 04:31:42 PM »
Tried out some rolls for homemade cheesesteaks. Two had an egg wash.
Slightly denser than I was aiming for, but they held up to the hot griddled meats and melty cheese just fine.
Good pizza takes days to make

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5308 on: March 02, 2020, 06:58:29 PM »
Slightly denser than I was aiming for, but they held up to the hot griddled meats and melty cheese just fine.
nice rolls there 👍🏼  :chef:

Do you think you could copy cat Turano Baking Company's Chicago Italian beef rolls? Gonnella bakery in Chicago makes them too.
Thanks for considering!!  😎
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TravisNTexas

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5309 on: March 03, 2020, 12:03:48 PM »

Those look a lot like the Italian rolls I make for the Italian roast beast sandwiches I have been making a lot lately.  Mine are a little denser than I expected too, but we love them so I have not changed them yet.  Last time the beef was with home made Giardinara too, which sounds like it may be what Bob was asking about.
Cheers,
Travis

Offline wolfamongscrubs

• Slice of Life
« Reply #5310 on: March 03, 2020, 04:38:51 PM »
Those look a lot like the Italian rolls I make for the Italian roast beast sandwiches I have been making a lot lately.  Mine are a little denser than I expected too, but we love them so I have not changed them yet.  Last time the beef was with home made Giardinara too, which sounds like it may be what Bob was asking about.

Those look great!
I think the only thing I will try to do differently next time is to let them proof a little longer for their second proof (after they are formed into the rolls). This round, they didnít quite double in size like I expected...probably due to the cooler room temp and perhaps I didnít let them sit long enough.
My wife had her first Chicago beef sandwich recently and has been bugging me to make some. Just gotta get the rolls right first, then Iíll try making the beef.
Any good recipes for the beef I should try for my first attempt?
Good pizza takes days to make

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5311 on: March 03, 2020, 08:36:51 PM »

Looks awesome there Travis!   The Gonnella and Turano chicago beef rolls have a sheen, sort of waxy looking exterior....lots of folks like to order their beefs "dipped". The whole sandwich is dunked into the gravy and the waxy roll repells the juice so that you can still pick the sandwich up and eat it with your hands!

Do you know how to get this exterior sheen, waxy texture Travis?     I pray that you do.... ;D

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #5312 on: March 04, 2020, 12:11:05 AM »
Starting to experiment on getting a more open crumb on Focaccia. Not what I was looking for but very tasty. The addition of some Acacia Honey made a slightly sweet offset to the Olive Oil. Broke my rule of not eating after dinner by having a bit of a snack. Oh well.

Offline Satyen

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5313 on: March 04, 2020, 02:12:56 AM »
Starting to experiment on getting a more open crumb on Focaccia. Not what I was looking for but very tasty. The addition of some Acacia Honey made a slightly sweet offset to the Olive Oil. Broke my rule of not eating after dinner by having a bit of a snack. Oh well.
The crumb looks great. What hydration do you target for foccacia?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #5314 on: March 04, 2020, 03:34:44 AM »

Pizza_Not_War,

If you dare, here is a 120% hydration ďFocaccia BareseĒ.  It also has honey in the dough. 

Don't think I have ever seen that high of a hydration in a dough.  :o The finished crumb looks really nice and it has it appears to have a nice crunch too.  I thought about trying it, but don't know if my wrist would take all of that mixing.  :-D

Ricetta Focaccia 120% -farina 500 -600 gr. Acqua -4gr. Lievito secco -15gr. Olio -10 gr. Miele -Sale 19gr. Primo riposo 20 nella vaschetta Mix seconda volta Secondo riposo 1:30h in vaschetta a temp ambiente poi mettere in frigo 16 ore Travasare in teglia terzo riposo 30 minuti t. Ambiente Mettere ingredienti quarto riposo 15 minuti Fine infornare e cuocere 35 minuti 180cí

Vito Iacopelli also seems to have other good videos on making doughs, pizza's and other things. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCopxVPFM021dpp8L6euX-qA

Norma

Offline TravisNTexas

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5315 on: March 04, 2020, 09:19:36 AM »
    Looks awesome there Travis!   The Gonnella and Turano chicago beef rolls have a sheen, sort of waxy looking exterior....lots of folks like to order their beefs "dipped". The whole sandwich is dunked into the gravy and the waxy roll repells the juice so that you can still pick the sandwich up and eat it with your hands!

Do you know how to get this exterior sheen, waxy texture Travis?     I pray that you do.... ;D

Thanks Bob!  I'm new to bread baking, but I believe the sheen on the rolls is achieved with steam in the oven while baking and/or egg wash.  The rolls I posted above where my first attempt.  The picture below is either my second or third attempt where I did a heavier egg wash and a lot more steam in the oven.  (I also got better at shaping them I believe)

P.S.  We dipped as we ate as you can see from the picture above.  The jus was just a reduction of the liquid from cooking the beef and was just awesome, BTW.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 09:22:52 AM by TravisNTexas »
Cheers,
Travis

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5316 on: March 04, 2020, 09:49:04 AM »
Thanks Bob!  I'm new to bread baking, but I believe the sheen on the rolls is achieved with steam in the oven while baking and/or egg wash.  The rolls I posted above where my first attempt.  The picture below is either my second or third attempt where I did a heavier egg wash and a lot more steam in the oven.  (I also got better at shaping them I believe)

P.S.  We dipped as we ate as you can see from the picture above.  The jus was just a reduction of the liquid from cooking the beef and was just awesome, BTW.

thank you Travis. I don't do the dip or the dunk... I do the "wet".  ;D   that is done by taking a large spoon or Ladle and drizzling juice over the top of the completed sandwich.  8)

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5317 on: March 04, 2020, 11:15:20 AM »
Today's fresh-milled Whole Wheat Oat Porridge loaves.
Hans

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #5318 on: March 04, 2020, 11:38:06 AM »
The crumb looks great. What hydration do you target for foccacia?
That one was 80%, which seems about right to me. I didn't have any bread flour, so I used a mix of Organic AP & 00.

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #5319 on: March 04, 2020, 11:38:58 AM »
Today's fresh-milled Whole Wheat Oat Porridge loaves.
You are operating at a pro level here. All your breads look great!

wordpress