A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Today's Bread  (Read 430424 times)

Offline DoouBall

Re: Today's Bread
« Reply #5540 on: May 22, 2020, 11:07:41 AM »
Alex, I am loving the videos this person makes.   I had stumbled across some very interesting reading about Gérard Rubaud on the farine website (highly recommended), but I had never seen his mixing methods in action.  Very cool stuff.

Scott, if you're interested in Rubaud method, this video by Trevor J Wilson is also very good:

I find the method a bit awkward but it does work well.

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5541 on: May 22, 2020, 12:30:56 PM »
A few more BBE sub rolls and some flour tortillas.  Also, I modded my dough proofing tent using a length of romex I had on hand, clothes pins with holes to accept the end of the wire, and the roasting bags that I've mentioned before.  A bit silly perhaps, but fun!  :P

Looking forward to the next four days off.   Hope you all have a great weekend!
Carl

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Hans

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5543 on: May 22, 2020, 02:50:38 PM »
Also, I modded my dough proofing tent using a length of romex I had on hand, clothes pins with holes to accept the end of the wire, and the roasting bags that I've mentioned before.  A bit silly perhaps, but fun!  :P

Love it!  Sometimes we have to get in touch with our inner MacGyver.

Rolls
Getting old, memory is the second thing to go......Can't remember the first.

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5544 on: May 22, 2020, 04:12:39 PM »
Interesting video but that looks like a lot of work! And in the end, you couldn't make a sandwich with the bread as the holes are too large...

Seems like way too much work to me. I hardly work my dough at all-it gets less sticky as you go along all on its own. I wonder of the huge holes and tunnels were from the amount of bench flour used for shaping.
Quote from: HansB on Yesterday at 07:19:39 AM
“You only need to rotate it if it needs to be rotated.“

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5545 on: May 22, 2020, 06:50:13 PM »
Seems like way too much work to me. I hardly work my dough at all-it gets less sticky as you go along all on its own. I wonder of the huge holes and tunnels were from the amount of bench flour used for shaping.

That or shaping?
Hans

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5546 on: May 22, 2020, 10:30:47 PM »
Nice loaves!  More flour, more, more, more. This was always an issue for me, and I still never got it right.

Yes, yes, yes...  it can be brushed off once it's released.
John

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #5547 on: May 23, 2020, 04:15:45 AM »
Todays overnight tin loaf, used keffir and water instead of milk, also put a lot of soaked sunflower seeds on the base of the tin. And used conventional oven instead of the fan setting.

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5548 on: May 23, 2020, 05:43:54 AM »
Just some fruited rolls to cut in half with butter and jam

Out the oven, I brush them with a mix of golden syrup and hot water mixture

People may have seen me say I bought some mystery bread flour from my supermarket.     Judging by what I made today, and the pan pizza  from yesterday it's clear this isn't regular bread flour but instead it is the same as  what they use in their store bought bread.     First the bread is completely White, when bread flour in UK  is not bleached like in the US.  My bread has always has an off-White colour.  That makes me wonder then how   they make store bought bread so White, when bleaching it is illegal unless there are others ways to make it White?   ??? 
The breads softer,  the texture different and while these are positive  it's absolutely flavourless like store bought bread.
:(

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 05:47:50 AM by MadMatt »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5549 on: May 23, 2020, 07:03:41 AM »
latest bake, using rice flour in the banneton but my dough is still sticking. ideas?

QD, I've gone to using 100% rice flour, really works well.
Hans

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5550 on: May 23, 2020, 07:04:46 AM »
Todays overnight tin loaf, used keffir and water instead of milk, also put a lot of soaked sunflower seeds on the base of the tin. And used conventional oven instead of the fan setting.

That's a beauty. You'd never know it was a tin loaf from the top photo!
Hans

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5551 on: May 23, 2020, 07:45:19 AM »
That's a beauty. You'd never know it was a tin loaf from the top photo!
^^^  I thought the same thing. Thought I mis-read it. Hanglow’s pizzas and breads are always interesting.
-Tony

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #5552 on: May 23, 2020, 07:58:18 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments. I scored it a bit deeper this time and it seemed to work well

I had a slice just now for lunch, it's a decent sandwich loaf

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5553 on: May 23, 2020, 11:03:50 PM »
Another try at some softer hamburger buns. 
Carl

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5554 on: May 23, 2020, 11:32:27 PM »

Beautiful man!  Can you please provide recipe... These are what I've been looking for.   ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline punkrockchris

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5555 on: May 24, 2020, 07:36:12 AM »
Looking good all.  Here's my most recent loaves.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5556 on: May 24, 2020, 07:41:56 AM »

Very nice!
Hans

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5557 on: May 24, 2020, 09:55:02 AM »
Very nice!
Thanks!
  Beautiful man!  Can you please provide recipe... These are what I've been looking for.   ;D

Thanks!  Recipe and method follows below, keep in mind I have no idea _why_ I do most things I do, just trial and error!  Mostly error  ::)

Since recently relaxing my keto/low carb diet, I pulled back out the Best Bread Ever book and besides the standard formula from the book, I've been trying other recipes using the same food processor mixing technique.  My wife approves as it's so much quicker (and quieter) than the regular mixer.

I used bog standard Gold Medal AP flour for these.

The total recipe flour weight is 500g, per the BBE.  I wanted to do a roux (you know, that T word that I have to look up how to spell every time) as hopefully one of the elements of a softer final product, though I used whole milk instead of water.  So 25g flour deducted from the 500 along with 125g of the whole milk to make the roux on the stovetop (I noticed some people use the microwave?) and then put the pan in the fridge while I get the rest setup.

Roux:
AP Flour25g
Whole Milk125g

Remaining formula:
AP Flour475g
Whole Milk234g
Sugar12g
Salt8g
IDY5g
Butter28g
Egg Yolk1

I used the metal blade instead of the dough blade.  I'm still on the fence on which one I prefer.  But I wanted to cut in the butter so I went with the metal blade.  I put the remaining flour, salt, sugar and IDY into the FP and gave it a couple of pulses.  Then added the room temp butter and gave it a couple more longer pulses.  Then added the roux from the fridge and gave it a couple more pulses.  Then the egg yolk and remaining cold milk, pulse for 20 seconds.  15 minute rest.  Finish with 25 more seconds for a total of 45, shooting for a final dough temp between 75-80.

I did turn it out on the counter and knead it by hand for a couple of minutes before it went into the container for the bulk rise.  I used two heavy aluminum round pans I have that have short sides, which is why they are shaped like they are.  Total of 8 buns, I think they were ~112g each?  I forget since I did it yesterday and all.

I let them rise a bit longer than I normally do on the second rise, a good hour and 15 minutes or so.  Brushed with melted butter before going in the oven at 365f for ~17 minutes and then hit with melted butter again when they came out.  Covered with a towel on the cooling rack.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 11:10:18 AM by sodface »
Carl

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5558 on: May 24, 2020, 12:24:52 PM »
Thanks!
Thanks!  Recipe and method follows below, keep in mind I have no idea _why_ I do most things I do, just trial and error!  Mostly error  ::)

Since recently relaxing my keto/low carb diet, I pulled back out the Best Bread Ever book and besides the standard formula from the book, I've been trying other recipes using the same food processor mixing technique.  My wife approves as it's so much quicker (and quieter) than the regular mixer.

I used bog standard Gold Medal AP flour for these.

The total recipe flour weight is 500g, per the BBE.  I wanted to do a roux (you know, that T word that I have to look up how to spell every time) as hopefully one of the elements of a softer final product, though I used whole milk instead of water.  So 25g flour deducted from the 500 along with 125g of the whole milk to make the roux on the stovetop (I noticed some people use the microwave?) and then put the pan in the fridge while I get the rest setup.

Roux:
AP Flour25g
Whole Milk125g

Remaining formula:
AP Flour475g
Whole Milk234g
Sugar12g
Salt8g
IDY5g
Butter28g
Egg Yolk1

I used the metal blade instead of the dough blade.  I'm still on the fence on which one I prefer.  But I wanted to cut in the butter so I went with the metal blade.  I put the remaining flour, salt, sugar and IDY into the FP and gave it a couple of pulses.  Then added the room temp butter and gave it a couple more longer pulses.  Then added the roux from the fridge and gave it a couple more pulses.  Then the egg yolk and remaining cold milk, pulse for 20 seconds.  15 minute rest.  Finish with 25 more seconds for a total of 45, shooting for a final dough temp between 75-80.

I did turn it out on the counter and knead it by hand for a couple of minutes before it went into the container for the bulk rise.  I used two heavy aluminum round pans I have that have short sides, which is why they are shaped like they are.  Total of 8 buns, I think they were ~112g each?  I forget since I did it yesterday and all.

I let them rise a bit longer than I normally do on the second rise, a good hour and 15 minutes or so.  Brushed with melted butter before going in the oven at 365f for ~17 minutes and then hit with melted butter again when they came out.  Covered with a towel on the cooling rack.
   Thank you Carl.  How long is the bulk/first rise?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5559 on: May 24, 2020, 01:46:26 PM »
   Thank you Carl.  How long is the bulk/first rise?

About 1.5 hrs.  Here's a crumb shot, just had a burger on one and I thought it was pretty good!
Carl