A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Today's Bread  (Read 462564 times)

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: Today's Bread
« Reply #6020 on: November 14, 2020, 01:36:36 PM »
Nice, love the color.
Bruce here... My toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6021 on: November 14, 2020, 02:41:57 PM »
Carl

Offline tennisman03110

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6022 on: November 16, 2020, 10:28:27 AM »
I tried to make my own formula with Tartine Method. 25% Whole Rye, 60% Whole Wheat, 15% KASL. About 85% hydration.

The dough was different, compared to past loaves. Even after 4 hours and 8 stretch/folds, plus a 2 hour autolyse (no levain), it lacked strength and teared quite easily. Seemed to have very minimal fermentation activity also.

Either way -- decently consistent loaf, nice color, good flavor. A bit short and dense. I'd be interested to hear how some bread can incorporate higher percentages of Rye (and not be a loaf bread, etc)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 10:30:32 AM by tennisman03110 »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #6023 on: November 16, 2020, 11:03:24 AM »
The loaf looks like it baked well. The crumb looks like you did have good fermentation, though with rye and WW it may not look like it in the bulk as rye does not have much gluten. Nice loaf.
Hans

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6024 on: November 17, 2020, 01:06:27 AM »
 ^^^  As Hans said, its an excellent loaf.

Offline tennisman03110

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6025 on: November 17, 2020, 06:50:50 AM »
Thanks to both of you. It does make a wonderful piece of toast. I almost wonder now if I fermented too long at RT looking for more dough rise, that might not ever come.

It was about 4 hours after my last stretch and fold that I just decided to quit waiting, when I shaped it and put into fridge.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6026 on: November 17, 2020, 10:40:32 AM »
For me, both the amount of bulk and how far to go with final proof are the "make or break'

I often break :-[ :-D

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #6027 on: November 17, 2020, 12:45:09 PM »
For me, both the amount of bulk and how far to go with final proof are the "make or break'

I often break :-[ :-D

Me too...I think bread is a bit harder than pizza because more structure is required to be built in the dough and the final product is less forgiving of mistakes in handling/shaping/fermentation/scoring. That said, it's very satisfying to make a really nice one, even if it's not every time.
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6028 on: November 20, 2020, 09:58:14 AM »
I don't think I'm too off-topic posting biscuits in this thread (I've done it before!) - I did a quick search and while there are some biscuit related threads, most are old and not really what I was looking for.  Submitted for your approval.
Carl

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6029 on: November 20, 2020, 07:32:49 PM »
Man, Karl, you really got some lift on those! They look so good.

Iím not a biscuit bigot or stickler...glad you posted them here.I think you can expect questions. ;D
-Tony

Online halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6030 on: November 20, 2020, 07:48:37 PM »

Man, Karl, you really got some lift on those! They look so good.

Iím not a biscuit bigot or stickler...glad you posted them here.I think you can expect questions. ;D

Questions no. Recipe yes. They look awesome

Jerry

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6031 on: November 20, 2020, 08:02:17 PM »

Questions no. Recipe yes. They look awesome

Jerry

Thanks!  The recipe was a double batch, so there's another 6 or so biscuits after those pictured.

KAAP Flour 540g
2 Tbsp Baking Powder (aluminum free)
2 tsp Salt
1 1/2 C Whole Milk (cold)
1 1/2 sticks butter (cold - mine were frozen)

Mixed in the food processor.  Combine the dry, cut in the butter, add the milk, pulse, tip out, bring together and fold a few times, roll out.

Key is to "resist the twist" plunge the cutter straight down and pull straight back up.  Lightly buttered pan, about 14 mins at 425F, brush with butter after they come out.  People seem to like them.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 07:39:16 AM by sodface »
Carl

Online halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6032 on: November 20, 2020, 09:14:51 PM »
Thanks!  The recipe was a double batch, so there's another 6 or so biscuits after those pictured.

KAAP Flour 540g
2 TBLS Baking Powder (aluminum free)
2 TSP Salt
1 3/4 C Whole Milk
1 3/4 sticks butter

Mixed in the food processor.  Combine the dry, cut in the butter, add the milk, pulse, tip out, bring together and fold a few times, roll out.

Key is to "resist the twist" plunge the cutter straight down and pull straight back up.  Lightly buttered pan, about 14 mins at 425F, brush with butter after they come out.  People seem to like them.
Thanks. These might be for Thursday Thanksgiving

Jerry

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6033 on: November 21, 2020, 07:35:34 AM »
Thanks. These might be for Thursday Thanksgiving

Jerry

Jerry, it was bugging me and I had to come back and check the recipe I posted, sure enough I messed it up in my original post.  I've corrected it and posting the correction here also:

KAAP Flour 540g
2 Tbsp Baking Powder (aluminum free)
2 tsp Salt
1 1/2 C Whole Milk (cold)
1 1/2 sticks butter (cold - mine were frozen)

Key is to "resist the twist" plunge the cutter straight down and pull straight back up.  Lightly buttered pan, about 14 mins at 425F, brush with butter after they come out.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 07:39:28 AM by sodface »
Carl

Online halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6034 on: November 21, 2020, 11:38:02 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something or my brain slow today but I'm reading your instructions and I'm a bit confused

Is everything mixed in the food processor?  if yes then the cutting in the butter without twisting is confusing

Or after cutting in the butter it is all put in the food processor to combine.  If this is correct how do you cut in frozen butter

Sorry just trying to understand this

Jerry

Online halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6035 on: November 21, 2020, 11:41:21 AM »
One more question. How thick are you rolling out the dough before cutting out the biscuits. Thanks

Jerry

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6036 on: November 21, 2020, 01:00:16 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something or my brain slow today but I'm reading your instructions and I'm a bit confused

Is everything mixed in the food processor?  if yes then the cutting in the butter without twisting is confusing

Or after cutting in the butter it is all put in the food processor to combine.  If this is correct how do you cut in frozen butter

Sorry just trying to understand this

Jerry

Sorry for the confusing write up.  I put the flour, baking powder and salt into the food processor and give it a couple pulses to mix it.  I cut the frozen 1 1/2 sticks of butter into 1/2" cubes and then put those into the food processor with the dry ingredients.  I pulse that pretty good to get the butter broken down a bit and incorporated with the flour.  Then I add all the milk and give that a few more pulses to bring it loosely together and then tip out onto a floured surface and gather it altogether with my hands, compressing it into a ball, then flattening and folding in half onto itself, repeating a couple of times, but not overworking it.

The "resist the twist" comment was meant for the cookie cutter, or whatever you use to cut the biscuits into circles.  Push straight down and pull straight up without twisting the cutter when it's in the dough.

One more question. How thick are you rolling out the dough before cutting out the biscuits. Thanks

Jerry

I flatten it by hand then lightly roll with a pin to get a more uniform surface.  I think the thickness is at least 1/2", maybe even 3/4".

//edit, I use a 2.5" diameter cookie cutter.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 01:11:15 PM by sodface »
Carl

Online halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6037 on: November 21, 2020, 05:17:58 PM »
Sorry for the confusing write up.  I put the flour, baking powder and salt into the food processor and give it a couple pulses to mix it.  I cut the frozen 1 1/2 sticks of butter into 1/2" cubes and then put those into the food processor with the dry ingredients.  I pulse that pretty good to get the butter broken down a bit and incorporated with the flour.  Then I add all the milk and give that a few more pulses to bring it loosely together and then tip out onto a floured surface and gather it altogether with my hands, compressing it into a ball, then flattening and folding in half onto itself, repeating a couple of times, but not overworking it.

The "resist the twist" comment was meant for the cookie cutter, or whatever you use to cut the biscuits into circles.  Push straight down and pull straight up without twisting the cutter when it's in the dough.

I flatten it by hand then lightly roll with a pin to get a more uniform surface.  I think the thickness is at least 1/2", maybe even 3/4".

//edit, I use a 2.5" diameter cookie cutter.
Thanks that helps a lot

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6038 on: November 22, 2020, 11:29:02 AM »
This is the way

Offline loch

« Reply #6039 on: November 22, 2020, 12:17:05 PM »
Elchimi, I've been baking bread since the 1950s and that's about as perfect a looking loaf as I've seen.

Well done, hope it eats as great as it looks!

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

wordpress