Author Topic: Building a 42 inch Low Dome Hybrid  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Building a 42 inch Low Dome Hybrid
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 07:01:30 PM »
Been continuing the work whenever I get a chance. I got that arch set and got the dome closed. Once everything was set, some joints were still in need of a little touch up. I employed a little child labor and sent my 10 year old daughter in. This morning I added some cladding. Every time I think I have the entry figured out, I wait 5 minutes and I'm unsure about it again. Getting closer...

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2016, 07:02:53 PM »
continued...

Offline Neopolitan

• Pizza, Pasta Birra e Basta!
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 02:43:40 AM »
Looking good! And clean,

Yes ovenbuilders children better not suffer from claustrophobia!

Once a hightened the floor in my first WFO a got stuck in the oven when I squeezed in to the back with my whole torso and arms to inspect and clean the new floor.
There I was alone (Stupid!) in a garden in the middle of nowhere in Greece, the air was getting stale because of my large or so blocking the airflow......Luckily I have experience in scuba and freediving so I lowered my breathing and refrained from panic, relaxed and slowly squeezed out.
That was a good lesson. Never dive into the sea without a buddy, same for your WFO.

Case

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2016, 06:44:44 AM »
Looking good! And clean,

Yes ovenbuilders children better not suffer from claustrophobia!

Once a hightened the floor in my first WFO a got stuck in the oven when I squeezed in to the back with my whole torso and arms to inspect and clean the new floor.
There I was alone (Stupid!) in a garden in the middle of nowhere in Greece, the air was getting stale because of my large or so blocking the airflow......Luckily I have experience in scuba and freediving so I lowered my breathing and refrained from panic, relaxed and slowly squeezed out.
That was a good lesson. Never dive into the sea without a buddy, same for your WFO.

Case
Wow. I would have freaked out. There probably were some good pictures of me all bent over or twisted trying to reach and do it myself. She's pretty proud of it and has been sending the picture to friends.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 09:59:06 PM »
When I was building Jetdecks oven in my driveway, the neighborhood kids gathered enough courage to come up my driveway one day and ask what I was doing.  I told them I was building a doghouse, and they all had to crawl in and check it out.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2016, 06:46:20 PM »
When I was building Jetdecks oven in my driveway, the neighborhood kids gathered enough courage to come up my driveway one day and ask what I was doing.  I told them I was building a doghouse, and they all had to crawl in and check it out.
She's quite proud of the picture. It's made the cyber rounds with her friends. Weather looks good for tomorrow. I'm going to try to lay out the entry.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2016, 09:40:39 AM »
Got most of the brick laying done. I think any additional bricks would be decorative. I used high temp fire place glue to put a gasket around the opening for a thermal break. I set up two columns to hold the vent arches and put them together in a way that reassured local masons their jobs were safe. The columns left a 1.5 inch reveal. Then I made twin arches to support the chimney. I broke the outer arch and had to do it again. That worked out OK because I think it looks better than the original. The arches also left a 1.5 in reveal for a future door.

To connect the two arches, I started at the top with some bricks cut to fit a chimney anchor plate. A few more bricks and the two arches were connected all the way down to the columns.Going back in time a little- when I laid out the column, I drilled into the slab and glued in a piece of bar. Before I filled the columns with concrete, I put some scrap insulation board to try an slow down heat moving into the columns. I don't think it can, but I had the scrap and figured it couldn't hurt. The columns were filled with concrete after work yesterday. So now I wait a little. Weather permitting I'll attache the anchor plate and light some paper in the oven on Sunday. My plan is to light a few very small paper/twig fires before insulating the dome.

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2016, 04:13:19 PM »
That's looking really good Jon. I like the proportions of the oven. Can't wait to see a fire!

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2016, 11:19:52 PM »
Thanks Larry!. Friday afternoon I filled the vent columns up with concrete. With all the focus on building the oven, I did something pretty stupid: I never got any wood. So Sunday morning I stopped in at a local convenience store and picked up a bag of kiln dried wood. I started with a brown paper bag and slowly moved to tiny pieces of wood and eventually some kindling size pieces. I only had about 2 hours and went through one log that I kept shaving pieces off by tapping a hatchet through with a hammer.

It was a lot of fun. For the most part, the vent worked. Some smoke came out the front. I think it will draw much better when the chimney is installed. when I started, the oven was at about 45 degrees. I slowly brought the walls up to about 200. The inside of the dome peaked at 300. The outside of the dome topped out at 80.

I'm planning to go again Friday afternoon and do a few more like that before wrapping on the insulation and more curing fires.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 11:38:17 AM »
Sweet brickwork. Very impressive. Excited to see it in operation.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jmiliz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 03:57:30 PM »
Looks great! Wish I could do something like that myself.  With the columns coming out in the front have you tried a peel yet to make sure you can angle it into the oven without hitting columns?

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 09:32:32 PM »
Sweet brickwork. Very impressive. Excited to see it in operation.

Thanks, Craig. I'm really looking forward to firing it up.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:38:43 PM by Jon in Albany »

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 09:38:21 PM »
Looks great! Wish I could do something like that myself.  With the columns coming out in the front have you tried a peel yet to make sure you can angle it into the oven without hitting columns?

I've run a peel over the floor plan and moved it around to try and make sure none of the floor brick caught. I haven't tried since the columns were built. I don't expect any problems (I guess that goes without saying). The opening to the dome is 18 inches wide and 9 inches high. Adding the thickness of the dome entry to the depth of the vent/columns is about 15.5 inches.  I plan to cure again Friday afternoon and I'll take a picture with the peels I use in a Blackstone. I don't have any long handled peels yet.