A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: initial wood oven questions  (Read 121 times)

Offline dilby

• I Love Pizza!
initial wood oven questions
« on: Today at 08:32:22 AM »
Hi all -

I'm looking to create an outdoor oven and am after some tips. In short, it's not only Pizza I want to be cooking (but mostly), and I've seen a few pizza ovens that I think are very shallow; designed to slide a pizza in but nor perhaps a roast chicken.

I'm trying to at this stage work out the best design and then move onto how i'll actually do it - so reverse engineering I guess!
The two main designs I see are the ones that are like half a sphere, and many people seem  to use a yoga ball as a form for this.
The second, and the one I'm meaning towards as it's more of a better shape and size for an oven, is what is essentially half a cylinder -
so it has a flat back and arched sides. I've attached an image of one I saw on google images that seems quite simple.

So some initial questions I'd be very grateful if someone could answer:

- What are the differences between these two shapes in the way it actually performs?
- How necessary is a door on the front?
- In the example image there is simply one layer of bricks - is this generally thought to be enough
to hold heat for long enough?

Many thanks!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: initial wood oven questions
« Reply #1 on: Today at 08:41:51 AM »
That is maybe the worst pizza oven design I've ever seen: no mass, no insulation, wide open front, chimney in the top of the dome. Everything about that oven is designed to bleed off heat - not hold it.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:54:10 AM »
- How necessary is a door on the front?

For retained-heat cooking (anything without an open flame), a door is needed. I have an insulated "plug" door (no hinges) that I put in the opening, and lift out to load/unload. Before that I had a flat steel door that merely rested against the opening - anything that blocks the circulation of cold air into the oven will work.

- In the example image there is simply one layer of bricks - is this generally thought to be enough
to hold heat for long enough?

If properly designed and insulated, an oven with a single thickness of brick (about 114mm for mine) will retain enough heat to bake 20+ pizzas or 4 loads of bread at ~9kg per load. With the door on, my oven takes about a week and a half to cool down completely (it rarely gets the chance).

This is the only part of that particular design that's acceptable.    :-D

Have you looked at any of the dry-stack builds on the forum? It's a great way to try-before-you-buy. Links here
« Last Edit: Today at 09:12:19 AM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:21:06 AM »
That is a fireplace, not an oven.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #4 on: Today at 11:08:07 AM »

An optical fireplace at that. All the heat will go right up the chimney.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline hodgey1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza 🍕
    • My WFO project
« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:56:34 PM »
I agree with all of the previous replies.

This is my $.02, research the differences between barrel vault vs igloo/Pompeii style ovens and form an opinion based on what you learn.   

wordpress