A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sloan Stainless NG Pizza Oven Review - Final Installment  (Read 1162 times)

Offline krudawg

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Sloan Stainless NG Pizza Oven Review - Final Installment
« on: August 21, 2016, 12:21:14 AM »
First, let me apologize for taking so long to finish this review on my new Sloan Pizza Oven.  There was a delay in building the new BBQ Island on my Patio and then issues with connection of the Natural Gas line to the BBQ Island (Which the Sloan Oven sits on).  I also had some issues with the final assembly of the Pizza Oven itself but thanks to the EXCELLENT Customer Service of Sloan Outdoors, the issues were resolved.  With final assembly complete, I turned on the gas and lit the lower burner (using the built-in electronic ignition)which sits under the stone that the pizza cooks on.  Then I lit the upper burner which heats the interior of the oven and as a consequence heats the stone located in the ceiling interior which adds to the heating of the interior.  After the burners were lit, I partially closed the doors and then waited 20 minutes (recommended in the Oven Manual) for the oven to heat.  I put on the included silicon gloves and opened the doors to check the internal temperature with the also included laser instant heat thermometer and found the Temperature to be slightly north of 625 Degrees.  I slid my homemade pizza on the stone and with the burners still set to HIGH the pizza cooked very quickly.  In retrospect, I should have turned the lower burner down to a lower setting because I did get some minor burning on the pizza bottom.  The crust had a perfect char on it and the Pizza came out better than I have ever made in our Home oven which I normally set to 500 degrees.
This oven is well made and I highly recommend it.  It also makes a fine addition to the look of my BBQ.

Attached are photo's of pizza I made.  I initially cooked the pizza on the pan because I was afraid the bottom would burn; after 3 minutes I removed pizza from pan and put directly on the stone
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 05:03:30 PM by krudawg »

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Sloan Stainless NG Pizza Oven Review - Final Installment
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 02:21:31 PM »
Thanks for the update, but we need photos of it in operation and the pizza.  BTW,  if you use regular flour on the peel, any that sticks to the pie will burn, semolina will not burn as quickly.

Offline BJR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 05:56:03 PM »
Thank you for the report.  I am currently trying to decide among at Sloan, Alfresco, and Kalamazoo ovens.  What features made you decide the Sloan was the right oven for you?

Offline krudawg

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 10:36:32 PM »
My main requirement was that the Pizza Oven heated with Natural Gas.  I looked at both the Kalamazoo and the Sloan.  The Kalamazoo looked like a well-made pizza oven and in the end, I chose the Sloan because it was nearly $2000 cheaper.  I wish I could have seen both up close but had to rely on the Web for my information.  I would like to hear from anyone who owns the Kalamazoo Oven and have them explain why the Kalamazoo is worth $2000 more than the Sloan.  And as I said in my review, Sloan Outdoors has excellent customer service and they back up their product.

Offline BJR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 04:56:03 PM »
I actually have the original Kalamazoo pizza oven in natural gas with one heat control for the bottom.  It is very well made, attractive,  and I have had no problems with it mechanically.   However,  I can't seem to get the heat right...bottom of pizza burns and top is not cooked.  In comparing the Sloan and second generation Kalamazoo, do you think they are almost identical in features?  BTU's are the same, and they look very similar.  Did you find any specific differences between the two?  I, too, am having trouble justifying the additional price tag on the Kalamazoo.  I agrees that it would be nice to see them both before purchasing.  Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be possible.

Offline krudawg

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 09:24:22 PM »
They both match up pretty well.  One feature that I did like about the Sloan was it had doors on the Front which keeps birds and bee's out when it is not covered with the custom cover.  When I made my first pizza I should have turned the lower burner down because the stone was really too hot - at least in my opinion.

Offline MLWilcox

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 08:44:43 AM »
Great to read your review of the Sloan.  Do you have more pictures of the oven in operation?  More pizza pictures? Have you been able to get to temperatures higher than 650 degrees?

Since there is so little information on the Sloan, I need to rely on your experience.  Thanks.

Offline krudawg

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 10:49:13 PM »
On one of my many conversations with the Sloan folks I asked what Temperatures can I expect from the oven.  Their answer was after 20 minutes I can expect 650 Degrees - I only read 625 after 20 minutes of warm up.  They also said if I heat it up with the doors closed it will heat up to 1200 degrees but I have not played with the oven that much so I can't confirm those claims. 

Offline MLWilcox

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 12:22:16 PM »
Now that you have had many months of experience, are you happy with your Sloan pizza oven? 

How are your pizzas turning out?  Is it easy to get the bottom and top balanced?

Do you use it for more than pizza?  For example, steak using a cast iron pan, casseroles, vegetables, etc.?

You had mentioned previously that you were able to get to 650 degrees in 20 minutes.  How long to get to 750 - 800?

Would you recommend the pizza oven to others?

I know I have a lot of questions but you are only one of 2 people on the forum who own a Sloan.  Thanks.

wordpress