A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Breville Updates the Smart Oven™ Pizzaiolo - New Model BPZ820  (Read 3263 times)

Offline Brent-r

• Lifetime Member
  • Love the wood fired oven
Re: Breville Updates the Smart Oven™ Pizzaiolo - New Model BPZ820
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2019, 06:20:21 PM »
the coupon was good for on-line purchases from the Breville Canadian site.

but they are also on special at Hudson's Bay for virtually the same price
see https://www.thebay.com/breville-stainless-steel-4-piece-smart-oven-pizzaiolo-set-bpz800/product/0600090852310?R=21614802439&P_name=Breville&Ntt=breville+pizza+oven&N=0

the quiet add-in to the package is the frying pan / pizza pan that has to be cured like a cast iron pan but
at 750 deg.    That immediately suggested to us that a sous-vide steak could be seared in it.  We tried that the second
day we had the oven.   We pre-heated the oven just like it was for pizza but with the pan in place.  When it was hot we pulled the pan out, dropped in the steaks and seared on each side for about 90 seconds.   They were very close to perfect.  The sear would have looked better in the picture if I had forced the flash

No regrets, especially with snow on the wood oven outside

and a shot of our first pie from this oven.   It rivals the best I've done in the wood oven.

I think you'll like it.  Good luck

Brent

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2019, 09:59:11 PM »

That looks like the best deal around  :)
They don’t ship to the US, but I sent one to a friend in Montreal, and with the conversion, it appears that I paid 665 USD, with the 15% discount and the CA tax, delivered.

Sweet !

Perry

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2019, 10:05:18 PM »
That looks like the best deal around  :)
They don’t ship to the US, but I sent one to a friend in Montreal, and with the conversion, it appears that I paid 665 USD, with the 15% discount and the CA tax, delivered.

Sweet !
Perry

There might be import duties if you try to bring it into the US. Smuggling pizza ovens into the country is a serious crime.  :)

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #63 on: Yesterday at 11:16:10 AM »
Bill,
There should not be any duties incoming from Canada .
I’m counting on a  $40 or so UPS costs,, and it’s supposedly the 4 piece set, including the optional round pan.

I worked  the system in a similar way, many years back, ordering some leather furniture directly from a Paris branch, paying in francs, and winding up saving close to half over the US showroom.

I’m excited !

Perry

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: Yesterday at 11:20:14 AM »
Bill,
There should not be any duties incoming from Canada .
I’m counting on a  $40 or so UPS costs,, and it’s supposedly the 4 piece set, including the optional round pan.

I worked  the system in a similar way, many years back, ordering some leather furniture directly from a Paris branch, paying in francs, and winding up saving close to half over the US showroom.

I’m excited !

Perry

Perry,

Your excitement is well justified. Please post your experiences here with the new model. Larry has done a great job showing us his results, but he could turn out great pizzas in any oven!

Offline Brent-r

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #65 on: Yesterday at 11:34:55 AM »
It is likely that the difference in Canadian and US prices is due to Trump's trade war with China.  Normally Canadian prices are higher than just the exchange rate can justify.  It is different now because of the trade war.  If one was shipped from Canada to the US the export declaration must include "country of origin" which is China and the duty % would be the same that Breville pays when they import direct from China but at wholesale prices.  Shipping one from Canada would mean that the duty is applied at the retail price and the end result would likely be even higher total cost to someone in the USA.
Brent

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #66 on: Yesterday at 12:05:40 PM »
We’ll have to see how it plays out.
I don’t believe that a single item, sent from , and to, an individual will trigger any tariff surcharges.
A pallet of ovens, perhaps.

As far as  I’m concerned, I am the recipient of a gift, from a friend, of an item they purchased in Canada.

Edit.
With some more investigation, it seems like I am exempt, as shipments under $800.00 US are exempt from any duties at all from Canada.
Here’s some more info, and a Canadian company that is lawfully exporting Chinese made goods from Canada to the US, quite legally.

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/firm-helps-u-s-companies-bypass-china-tariffs-via-canada

Perry

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:37:33 PM by pizzaboyfan »

Offline Brent-r

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #67 on: Yesterday at 12:51:56 PM »
good find !!
I hope it works out for you
Brent

Offline mux

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #68 on: Yesterday at 10:45:30 PM »
THey should've took  to opportunity to improve the oven in other ways. Either make the whole oven more compact (keeping internal dimensions the same), increase  pie size, etc. Also it is rather pricey for 1000$. I'm not sure what the markup is, but it feels like it's much more than 3x the actual oven cost.

wordpress