A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's  (Read 218366 times)

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's
« Reply #1040 on: January 17, 2017, 08:27:53 PM »
It will take a few bakes for you to find your optimal launch temp,  but I think you will be much happier with the results once you get your IR gun. 

Offline tdub154420

« Reply #1041 on: January 24, 2017, 09:12:02 PM »
So I got my IR gun and it works very well and is a very helpful tool.  Since getting my Blackstone I've been hoping to use it for NY style rather than Neapolitan.  I've posted a few pictures but unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture of the bottom of my pizza until I had already eaten it lol. 

I have found that using the IR does give a good reference for when to launch the pizza, but I also used it to keep an eye on the temperature of the stone, and in fact mid-bake I moved the pizza to a screen.  I found this pretty effective in preserving the bottom of the pizza.  Another note about my pictures is I sacrificed symmetry on these pizzas (12 inch) for NY-ish slices.  The bottoms did come out pretty nice.  One was a pretty even brown, the other was a bit more spotted with char in places- but far from burnt. 

- Trevor

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #1042 on: January 24, 2017, 10:08:03 PM »
So I got my IR gun and it works very well and is a very helpful tool.  Since getting my Blackstone I've been hoping to use it for NY style rather than Neapolitan.  I've posted a few pictures but unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture of the bottom of my pizza until I had already eaten it lol. 

I have found that using the IR does give a good reference for when to launch the pizza, but I also used it to keep an eye on the temperature of the stone, and in fact mid-bake I moved the pizza to a screen.  I found this pretty effective in preserving the bottom of the pizza.  Another note about my pictures is I sacrificed symmetry on these pizzas (12 inch) for NY-ish slices.  The bottoms did come out pretty nice.  One was a pretty even brown, the other was a bit more spotted with char in places- but far from burnt.

Trevor,

Glad to hear you like your IR gun to measure temperatures of your stone.  Nice looking bakes! :P

Norma

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #1043 on: January 25, 2017, 07:02:47 AM »
Nice pies.  Another thing the IR helps with is that if you are making multiple pies, you can adjust the flame to keep the temp of the stone from rising or falling too much between pies. 

Offline pbc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1044 on: May 18, 2017, 09:26:33 PM »
Hey guys...thinking of moving up to this unit.  Quick question...how many is on a standard propane tank? Any way to utilize my natural gas line attached to my BBQ instead?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #1045 on: May 19, 2017, 06:42:34 AM »
Hey guys...thinking of moving up to this unit.  Quick question...how many is on a standard propane tank? Any way to utilize my natural gas line attached to my BBQ instead?

pbc,

This is one thread that might help. 

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=33752.msg335534#msg335534

Norma

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #1046 on: May 19, 2017, 06:52:48 AM »
As the post that Norma linked to says, you could buy a conversion kit, and a natural gas burner of equivalent BTU's,  but it would not work the same because the BS uses a high pressure burner, the flames go up and around the stone.  A natural gas burner would likely be wider, and not go as high, so you would have more bottom heat, and less top heat.  If you were really dedicated to the idea, you would probably want two natural gas burners, and have one just on the bottom, and one set somewhere so that most of the heat went towards the top.

I thought about doing a conversion, but for me a propane tank lasts a long time.  If I do a full refill  ( not the 75% refill you get if you use one of the exchange services ) I probably get 3 to 4 months per tank, firing it up once per week to cook one pizza .  It would probably last the same cooking 2 or 3 pies at a time, they cook so quickly.  If you did a party, and had it running an hour at a time, the tank would go out quicker. 

wordpress