A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's  (Read 222526 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Re: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's
« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2013, 07:12:06 AM »
Very nice pies there Chickee!

jon

Thanks Jon!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2013, 07:33:29 AM »
Norma,

You know, I've only run it below about 700F one  or two times.  A week or so ago I did a Sicilian style for lunch for my wife and a friend of hers.  (I only got the left overs the next day!)  It seemed to hold 475F (is) pretty well.   That is a temperature taken with an IR gun.  The 2Stone doesn't have a air temp thermometer like your BS. I like a "Hybrid" style at about 725 or so.

It'll get up to 1000F+, or at least peg out my IR gun, if I let it.  I've cleaned its Fibrament stone that way before.....not sure if I should really be doing that!

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for telling me what range of temperatures you can achieve in your 2stone.  Interesting that you can do a Sicilian pizza at 475 degrees F.  The air temperature thermometer on the BS doesn't really show accurate bottom stone temperatures.  1,000 F+ is very hot on your 2 stone.   >:D

I just wanted to post that Trenton Bill tried my formulation that I tried last week for the NY style pizza in the BS yesterday, but he made a 13 pizza.  He said that was the best pizza he ever made.  He was elated that he could make such a good pizza in the BS.  I helped him over the phone in how to use the Lehmann dough calculation tool.  Bill never used any of the dough calculation tools before, but he is glad he can use the Lehmann dough calculation tool now.  I told Bill when he is ready to use the preferment dough calculation tool for Neapolitan pizzas I would help him.  I had told Bill before how easy the dough calculation tools were to use if someone posts a formulation and he wanted to change the pizza size.  Bill said before he had been using too high of a hydration and too much olive oil in his recipes.  At least we can talk in baker's percentages now.  Before I would try to explain something about a formulation in baker's percentages and Bill would not understand.  Bill said he threw out his quarry tiles in his home oven after he made that pizza yesterday. :-D   I said why did he do that if he wanted to make pizzas in the winter.  He said he would rather stand out in the snow now since he has a BS.  Bill has been making pizzas for many years. 

Norma 

Edit:  I forgot to post that when Bill received his BS the first time his bottom stone was broke and also a few other things were wrong with his BS.  Griddle Guru did replace the bad parts.  Bill asked me yesterday if my bottom plate looks like it rotates unevenly and I said no I didn't notice that with my plate.  I told Bill to get a level and really see if he bottom plate is not level.  Bill said his shaft is straight and not bent.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 07:59:06 AM by norma427 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #142 on: August 12, 2013, 08:55:25 AM »
Norma,
Tell Bill that the shaft can be straight but if it is welded to the platter crooked it will look uneven when it is turning on the grill. Folks on the BS thread slip a piece of pipe about 3 feet long over the shaft and pull on it to straighten things out.    Put the platter on the ground and stand on it...then pull on the pipe.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #143 on: August 12, 2013, 08:59:37 AM »
Norma,
Tell Bill that the shaft can be straight but if it is welded to the platter crooked it will look uneven when it is turning on the grill. Folks on the BS thread slip a piece of pipe about 3 feet long over the shaft and pull on it to straighten things out.    Put the platter on the ground and stand on it...then pull on the pipe.

Bob,

Thanks for the helpful comments!  I will give Bill your link.

Norma

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2013, 01:19:05 PM »
Nice Pies Norma!

If I'm reading your tape measure correctly, the Gap between the SS front cover and bottom of the steel platter is about 1/2".  If so, it is a bit under the 3/4" - 1" recommended by the factory (not that it affected your pies any).  As a group, I don't think we have found the optimal setup just yet, but I just wanted to give you a heads up.

Dave

Offline scott123

« Reply #145 on: August 12, 2013, 02:25:25 PM »
Bill said he threw out his quarry tiles in his home oven after he made that pizza yesterday. :-D   I said why did he do that if he wanted to make pizzas in the winter.  He said he would rather stand out in the snow now since he has a BS.

If he has an oven that can reach 550 and his broiler isn't in a separate drawer, he can match his NY BS bakes with 1/2" steel and won't have to bake outside in the freezing cold.

Offline redox

« Reply #146 on: August 12, 2013, 02:39:34 PM »
If he has an oven that can reach 550 and his broiler isn't in a separate drawer, he can match his NY BS bakes with 1/2" steel and won't have to bake outside in the freezing cold.
My oven will reach 600 do you think I can do NY pizza with 1/4 or 3/8" steel? My muscles are corded steel but my back is composed mostly of spun glass.  :-D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #147 on: August 12, 2013, 03:16:37 PM »
My oven will reach 600 do you think I can do NY pizza with 1/4 or 3/8" steel? My muscles are corded steel but my back is composed mostly of spun glass.  :-D
Pencil Neck Geek.... :-\

Offline scott123

« Reply #148 on: August 12, 2013, 03:17:15 PM »

Jay, if you can put a typical baking stone on an oven shelf in on one of the oven's top two shelf positions, and, using only the bake function (not the broiler), pre-heat the stone to a surface of temp of 600 (read with an IR thermometer), then, yes, 3/8" steel will work for any possible NY bake time.

Bear in mind, you can cut the plate into two pieces, like JD's done here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26901.msg272341.html#msg272341

which makes 1/2" plate a lot easier on your back. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #149 on: August 12, 2013, 05:53:46 PM »
Nice Pies Norma!

If I'm reading your tape measure correctly, the Gap between the SS front cover and bottom of the steel platter is about 1/2".  If so, it is a bit under the 3/4" - 1" recommended by the factory (not that it affected your pies any).  As a group, I don't think we have found the optimal setup just yet, but I just wanted to give you a heads up.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the heads up on what is recommended for the gap between the SS front cover and the steel platter.  I will try to increase the gap. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2013, 05:59:11 PM »

Scott,

Bill does have a very good oven that can reach 550 degrees F, but I don't think I would be able to convince him to try a steel plate.  He is set in his ways.  :-D  Bill did grow up in NYC though and does recall how those pizzas tasted.  Bill is in his 70's.  I think he is happy to go outside and bake in his BS when he wants a pizza even if it is cold.  He does have a covered screen-in porch where he is keeping his BS.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #151 on: August 12, 2013, 06:01:17 PM »
Norma,

Bob,

Bill did call Griddle Guru and then called me at market today.  Griddle Guru is sending him a new platter and also a cover for his BS when they come out. 

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #152 on: August 12, 2013, 06:44:38 PM »
How nice.  :)

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2013, 06:41:24 PM »
I will try to increase the gap.  Norma

Norma, I don't think we exactly know what the right gap is.  The numbers listed are what BS said, but I'm not exactly clear if they are measuring from the SS to the bottom or the platter, or possibly to the top of the stone.  As long as your pies look like that, I wouldn't mess with much!
Dave

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2013, 09:45:53 PM »
Norma, I don't think we exactly know what the right gap is.  The numbers listed are what BS said, but I'm not exactly clear if they are measuring from the SS to the bottom or the platter, or possibly to the top of the stone.  As long as your pies look like that, I wouldn't mess with much!
Dave

Dave,

Thank you for telling me that the members don't exactly know what the right gap is.  I have to get my BS NY pizzas up to speed because I have an event at Root's outside that I am taking the BS to.  I don't even know how many tanks of propane I will need.  I also might have another 2 day event at Root's over Labor Day weekend.  I better shape up my BS fast. :-D

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #155 on: August 14, 2013, 08:55:42 AM »
Dave,

Thank you for telling me that the members don't exactly know what the right gap is.  I have to get my BS NY pizzas up to speed because I have an event at Root's outside that I am taking the BS to.  I don't even know how many tanks of propane I will need.  I also might have another 2 day event at Root's over Labor Day weekend.  I better shape up my BS fast. :-D

Norma
Good luck with those Events Norma...I hope you knock their socks off!  :chef:

I know you won't forget your advertising tools to set up around where you'll be at with your BS. Maybe consider a one day paper poster placed on your sandwich sign board showing a nice big drawing of your location at the Market.

Don't forget you can get refill exchange tanks at any near by gas station if you find yourself in a jam at the Events. Maybe that way you only need to take one extra one with you.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #156 on: August 14, 2013, 10:14:31 AM »
Good luck with those Events Norma...I hope you knock their socks off!  :chef:

I know you won't forget your advertising tools to set up around where you'll be at with your BS. Maybe consider a one day paper poster placed on your sandwich sign board showing a nice big drawing of your location at the Market.

Don't forget you can get refill exchange tanks at any near by gas station if you find yourself in a jam at the Events. Maybe that way you only need to take one extra one with you.

Bob,

Thank you for the good luck with the one event, or possibly the other one too.  The one event I am confirmed to do is one I will keep the profits if I make any.  I know I said before on this forum I never would do one of those events again, but maybe this is one chance that will give me a little more exposure to more people for my pizza stand.  The only other problems besides me getting too tired from doing an event like this is how many dough balls to make, how to keep them from overfermenting, how to keep the cheese and sauce cold without a refrigeration unit, if it will rain or not and a bunch of other stuff.  I have learned from doing events like this in the past it is a lot more work than most members might think. 

The other event if market management lets me do it would be for charity.  I didn't mention before, but the market masters one daughter passed suddenly years ago.  That was a tragic event for all the vendors at market and especially for the market managements family.  That event would be for Abby's Foundation.  If anyone is interested this is why Abby's Foundation was started.  http://www.abbysfoundation.org/news.asp and http://www.abbysfoundation.org/index.asp Abby liked to volunteer at her young age and was always trying to help other people.

I recall years ago when some vendor at market sent a big card around for standholders to sign and it was then the first time we knew something happened to Abby.  What happen to Abby was so quick and no one excepted that to happen.  It shows life sure can be fragile.

I am going to try to advertize my pizza stand at the event if it doesn't rain.  Hopefully that will help some.

Thanks for the tip about getting a tank at the gas station if I need one!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #157 on: August 22, 2013, 08:23:19 PM »
The BS baked a great Detroit style pizzas too! ;D  I used a leftover dough ball from Tuesday early this evening and quickly tempered it in the oven with the light on.  The dough ball almost look lifeless, but it still rose after pressing it in the steel pan and tempering it.  I should have tempered the dough a little while more in the steel pan, but saw it soon was going to start getting dark outside.  I had started to heat up the BS on a lower temperature for 30 minutes.  The IR gun shows what temperature this Detroit style pizza was baked at.  I did fiddle around with the height of the flames a little while the pizza was baking.

The dressings on this Detroit style pizza was spinach, sausage (under the cheese), cheese and then sauced after the baked.  The bottom crust was nice and crispy and so were the caramelized edges.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2013, 08:25:51 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
I hadn't even eaten any slices of the Detroit style pizzas I make at market for about a month, so this was a special treat for me.

Norma