A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's  (Read 223791 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2013, 08:35:25 PM »
Dang Norma...you are a natural with the BS oven; great temperature control and a beautiful looking pie.  Bravo!!   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #161 on: August 22, 2013, 08:51:13 PM »
Dang Norma...you are a natural with the BS oven; great temperature control and a beautiful looking pie.  Bravo!!   :chef:

Thanks Bob!  :P  I thought I would need to bake the Detroit style longer and at a lower temperature and the BS was up to the task.  It amazes me what the BS can do.  8)  The BS is a sweet honey of a pizza oven. :-D

Norma

Offline Vanilla gorilla

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #162 on: August 22, 2013, 11:34:35 PM »
Man I gotta get one of those pans and the know how to pull that off!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2013, 08:36:28 AM »
Man I gotta get one of those pans and the know how to pull that off!

Vanilla gorilla,

I had thought of putting the dough is a round steel pan, but I wanted to see if a rectangular steel pan would work okay in the Blackstone.  I wondered how the bake would be at the edges since the pan isn't square.  The BS did a good job in my opinion of baking that pizza in a pan that wasn't round.  It wasn't hard at all to pull off making a Detroit style pizza in the BS.  Hope you get a pan to try a Detroit style in the BS. 

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2013, 09:26:57 AM »
  The BS is a sweet honey of a pizza oven. :-D

Norma
Isn't she though Norma....glad to see you doing so well with it!  :chef:  Any future plans for mounting her up on a small trailer maybe?  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2013, 10:22:50 AM »
Isn't she though Norma....glad to see you doing so well with it!  :chef:  Any future plans for mounting her up on a small trailer maybe?  8)

Bob,

I really like the BS and how it bakes the pizzas I have tried so far.  I would try out more formulations, but I can't only eat so much pizza each week.  :-D  I don't have any future plans for mounting the BS on a trailer, but will give the Car, Cycle & Truck Show at market a shot to see what happens.  I do have a tent from another event I did at market.  I have not heard anything about the Art's and Craft's Event at market on Labor Day weekend for charity and me possibly getting into that, so I am going to scratch that for this year.  I would need to purchase the things I would need for that by the end this week and my daughter is going to see her father who had a mild stroke next week.  I will see how well the BS operates when making more pizzas at the other event at market. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2013, 10:25:10 AM »
Trenton Bill sent me a nice gift for my BS.

Norma

Offline slybarman

« Reply #167 on: August 23, 2013, 10:57:09 AM »
Looks pretty similar to what I use norma - the wire brush for my BBQ grill. I then follow it with a good dust off using my electric leaf blower.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #168 on: August 23, 2013, 11:12:38 AM »
Looks pretty similar to what I use norma - the wire brush for my BBQ grill. I then follow it with a good dust off using my electric leaf blower.

Steve,

Good to hear the wire brush that I got from Bill looks similar to what you use.  I messed up my regular BBQ wire brush by trying to brush off the BS while the stone was still hot.  I melted the one part off.  :-D I learned from that experience.  I don't have an electric leaf blower, but that is a good thing to use.

Norma

Offline slybarman

« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2013, 11:13:46 AM »
It definitely gets rid of any left over semolina in a hurry - kind of a big dust cloud.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #170 on: August 23, 2013, 11:16:24 AM »
It definitely gets rid of any left over semolina in a hurry - kind of a big dust cloud.

Steve,

:-D  I can only imagine what that looks like, but it sounds funny.

Norma

Offline slybarman

« Reply #171 on: August 23, 2013, 11:26:51 AM »
It is pretty funny to see.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2013, 11:19:48 AM »
I got a call from the Old Mill Flea Market manager at market about an hour ago.  He said the other pizza man didn't show up and asked if I could come with my BS the rest of the day today and tomorrow for the Art's and Craft Event.  I told him no I could not come because I would have needed to be getting things ready a week ahead of time.  I said I had no doughs ready and would not have enough cheese for Tuesday.  He asked me if still was coming September 14th for the Car, Truck & Cycle show and I said yes.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #173 on: September 01, 2013, 08:28:15 PM »
This boardwalk style pizza was made in the BS with part of a leftover frozen dough ball from market.  The pizza was 15.  I just cut off part of the dough ball when it became defrosted.  The pizza was baked at 579 degrees F. 

I also did make an attempt on a De Lorenzo's/Robbinsville clone pizza, but don't think my the BS was high enough in temperature. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #174 on: September 01, 2013, 08:31:19 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #175 on: September 01, 2013, 08:33:28 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #176 on: September 01, 2013, 08:35:41 PM »
A few photos from the De Lorenzo's/Robbinsville clone attempt.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #177 on: September 08, 2013, 11:28:41 AM »
These a a few photos to show my thrust bearing and how some of the parts inside my BS are rusting.  My D batteries went bad already and I haven't used them at all to turn the platter.  I have been using my extension cord to power the motor that turns the bottom platter.  I also cleaned off my bottom stone this morning.

This is short video I uploaded on YouTube to show the bottom platter height and how the Blackstone Oven works if anyone is interested.  In the video I fiddled around with the front dial and also the red dial.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50p1EwOxwYg&feature=youtu.be   

I like the roar of the flames when the BS is turned up higher in heat.  If anyone thinks I have my BS set-up wrong let me know. 

Norma
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 11:34:00 AM by norma427 »

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #178 on: September 08, 2013, 12:48:12 PM »
Hi Norma,
Unfortunately, plain carbon steels like the Blackstone parts are made from will rust. Adding heat to the mix accelerates that oxidation process.  Even stainless steels will oxidize faster when subjected to high heat.  Stainless steel will form a gray flakey scale, much like plain carbon steels.  It just happens more slowly with Stainless steels.

Some of the guys like Jackie T are seeing the same things.  He made a heat shield for some of the areas.  We can slow it down, but eventually, these inexpensive ovens will rust away.

I just fired mine up yesterday for the first time.  My only mod is the bearing and a heat shield for the bearing.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #179 on: September 08, 2013, 01:12:46 PM »
Hi Norma,
Unfortunately, plain carbon steels like the Blackstone parts are made from will rust. Adding heat to the mix accelerates that oxidation process.  Even stainless steels will oxidize faster when subjected to high heat.  Stainless steel will form a gray flakey scale, much like plain carbon steels.  It just happens more slowly with Stainless steels.

Some of the guys like Jackie T are seeing the same things.  He made a heat shield for some of the areas.  We can slow it down, but eventually, these inexpensive ovens will rust away.

I just fired mine up yesterday for the first time.  My only mod is the bearing and a heat shield for the bearing.

Chuck,

Thanks for explaining more how plain carbon steel rusts.  I know it is humid in our area in the summertime and expected the BS to rust some.  I just wonder how safe that rust is when baking a pizza if some rust somehow gets on the pizza.  I am supposed to take my BS to an event this coming Saturday. 

I think I am going to put my BS in my one shed over the wintertime. 

Thanks for telling me about your mods.  I am not that DIY inclined to make a heat shield for the bearing.

Norma