A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's  (Read 171792 times)

norma427 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's
« Reply #600 on: May 17, 2014, 08:18:31 AM »
At least I got an almost even brown bottom crust bake. 
Norma
Thanks for performing the test Norma and for sharing the results.  That pie looks a lot like the one Bobino made last night & I'm stuffed.

As much as I'd like to type disparaging comments about Scott's opinion and C.Bob's endorsement .... the undercrust results were pretty similar to those on the standard stone - right?  (It seems like i remember reading that prediction somewhere  :chef:)

Yum, crow. :)

Dave

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #601 on: May 17, 2014, 11:15:55 AM »
Thanks for performing the test Norma and for sharing the results.  That pie looks a lot like the one Bobino made last night & I'm stuffed.

As much as I'd like to type disparaging comments about Scott's opinion and C.Bob's endorsement .... the undercrust results were pretty similar to those on the standard stone - right?  (It seems like i remember reading that prediction somewhere  :chef:)

Yum, crow. :)

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for telling me that the pie I made looks a lot like the one Bobino made last night.  The undercrust does look pretty similar to those on the standard stone, but I thought the one I made last evening was a little browner than my other attempts.  Maybe I was dreaming at the time.  :-D  I will have to do a few tests at a lower bake temperature to really see what happens.  Did you or Bobino ever bake a NY style pizza at about 550 degrees F in the BS.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #602 on: May 17, 2014, 11:28:55 AM »
Drill some holes in the platter for your next try Norma.  ;D

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #603 on: May 17, 2014, 12:15:17 PM »
Drill some holes in the platter for your next try Norma.  ;D

CB

Lol Bob,  I don't think I have a drill bit that is strong enough to drill through the platter.  I don't want to mess up the platter either.   :o

Norma

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #604 on: May 17, 2014, 12:24:12 PM »
Dave, Did you or Bobino ever bake a NY style pizza at about 550 degrees F in the BS.
Norma
I have never made NY style pie but Bobino has.  He tends to prefer his commercial electric oven.  Last night's pie looked really good, and he took a photo.  Not a regular photo, mind you, a Dylan-esque photo fit for sharing.  Stay tuned.

I'm pretty disappointed that it is afternoon already and Scott hasn't commented with some ChicagoBob-like quip suggesting that I 'frame my matchbook college diploma'. :-D

Dave

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #605 on: May 17, 2014, 03:24:06 PM »
I have never made NY style pie but Bobino has.  He tends to prefer his commercial electric oven.  Last night's pie looked really good, and he took a photo.  Not a regular photo, mind you, a Dylan-esque photo fit for sharing.  Stay tuned.

I'm pretty disappointed that it is afternoon already and Scott hasn't commented with some ChicagoBob-like quip suggesting that I 'frame my matchbook college diploma'. :-D

Dave

Dave,

I will stay tuned for Bobino's NY style pie.  It will be interesting to see a Dylan-esque photo fit for sharing. 

Lol, after the rest of your post!

Norma

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #606 on: May 17, 2014, 05:42:36 PM »
Oops, Dylan-esque can be interpreted many ways.  I meant that Bobino's photography skills are good (and the NY pie was tasty).
Dave

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #607 on: May 18, 2014, 01:58:00 AM »
My ears were burning :-)

I'm a bit out of the loop with this thread but very cool to see the split bricks experiment Norma, looks like perhaps a more even heat distribution with the bricks?  The underside result certainly looks more even than anything I produce.  Love hearing the familiar idling of the BS in the video.

And I didn't manage to photograph my bake yesterday at all, that's not very Dylan-esque of me!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #608 on: May 18, 2014, 02:13:58 AM »
My ears were burning :-)

I'm a bit out of the loop with this thread but very cool to see the split bricks experiment Norma, looks like perhaps a more even heat distribution with the bricks?  The underside result certainly looks more even than anything I produce.  Love hearing the familiar idling of the BS in the video.

And I didn't manage to photograph my bake yesterday at all, that's not very Dylan-esque of me!

Yes Dylan, your ears should have been burning with Dave mentioning you without you knowing about it.  :-D  I knew what Dave was talking about after awhile because I did see your post about you not taking photos of your pizzas yesterday.

I am not sure if there is more even heat distribution with the spit firebricks.  More tests will needed to be done to find out about that.   

At some point in time I will try some Neapolitan pizzas with the split firebricks.  Right now I am trying to get more even browning on the bottom crusts of NY style pizzas with crispness when the pizza is sliced.

I still wish I could make Neapolitan pizzas like you do in your BS.  Yours look fabulous!  :chef:

Norma 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 02:17:17 AM by norma427 »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #609 on: May 18, 2014, 08:56:13 AM »
Bobino is having technical difficulties with his picture upload, so I'm sharing it here.  I think it is lovely, hope y'all will agree.  (Next time I take apart a Blackstone valve or rotisserie and post about it, I'll add wine and a toadstool to the picture. :P)
Dave

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #610 on: May 18, 2014, 09:54:33 AM »
Bobino is having technical difficulties with his picture upload, so I'm sharing it here.  I think it is lovely, hope y'all will agree.  (Next time I take apart a Blackstone valve or rotisserie and post about it, I'll add wine and a toadstool to the picture. :P)
Dave

Dave,

I also think Bobino's pizza looks lovely and very delicious!  I really like Bobino's monogrammed napkin! 8)  Bobino's pizza looks something like a Neapolitan or Neo Neapolitan to me.  What temperature, or temperatures did Bobino bake that pie at.

Lol about your photo the next time.  I will hold you too that.   >:D

Norma

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #611 on: May 18, 2014, 11:03:30 AM »
Dave,

I also think Bobino's pizza looks lovely and very delicious!  I really like Bobino's monogrammed napkin! 8)  Bobino's pizza looks something like a Neapolitan or Neo Neapolitan to me.  What temperature, or temperatures did Bobino bake that pie at.

Lol about your photo the next time.  I will hold you too that.   >:D

Norma
This could be a setup - that looks neo to me also.  Bobino?

Edit - My lovely wife reminded me that Bobino only took pictures of the neo pies because the NY pies were too large to fit on the plate.  Oops.  :-[

Dave
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 07:06:56 PM by Tampa »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #612 on: May 24, 2014, 08:15:39 PM »
I want to thank Dave and Bobino for helping me get a crisper and more evenly browned bottom crust.  ;D They did experiments at Reply 502 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30641.msg316650#msg316650  Anyone can see how good their pizza looks.  I did say I was going to try their dough formulation next, but there was a dough recipe I had in mind before I tried Dave's and Bobino's dough formulation posted at Reply 516 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30641.msg316766#msg316766  I did use about the temperature they used for their pizza without sugar or oil.

The recipe I tried used Kyrol flour like Dave and Bobino's, but I added lard and sugar and used a different recipe.  The pizza was dressed like a De Lorenzo's pizza, with the cheese put down first and then dollops of pizza sauce where put on top of the cheese.  The bake time was about 8 minutes.  The bake was on the firebricks.  I did not rotate this pizza or turn the heat up or down.

I really pressed on the dough ball to open it.  Then the skin was tossed and twirled.  In my opinion this was a very good pizza.  The rim crust had a nice chew.  The dough weight was cut back because it would have been too much dough for the BS.

This is a short video on some of the bake of this pizza.  There were beautiful clouds in the sky today so it was a perfect day to bake a “tomato pie”.

Norma
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:18:14 PM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #613 on: May 24, 2014, 08:20:34 PM »
Don't mind the paint on my fingers.  I was outside painting before I made this pizza.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #614 on: May 24, 2014, 08:23:54 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #615 on: May 24, 2014, 08:24:51 PM »
Norma

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #616 on: May 24, 2014, 09:09:53 PM »
Norma,  am I right in guessing that you like the firebrick better than the original stone that came with the BS?  It looks like you are launching at a lower temp on the firebricks, if I am remembering correctly.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #617 on: May 24, 2014, 09:18:46 PM »
Norma,  am I right in guessing that you like the firebrick better than the original stone that came with the BS?  It looks like you are launching at a lower temp on the firebricks, if I am remembering correctly.

Barry,

I really don't know if I like the firebricks better than the original stone that came with the BS.  I did do this bake at a lower temperature.  It will remain to be seen how well the firebricks do for different dough formulations and using different temperatures.

Bobino and Dave also baked at a lower temperature on the BS with the original stone.

Norma

Offline Bert

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #618 on: May 25, 2014, 09:20:10 AM »
Norma, Beautiful pie. I never heard of tomato pies till I saw your post. I started making it late last year. I really love the taste regardless of the baking temperature.
Bert

Transform your grill into a well balanced and easy to use pizza oven with the Mighty Pizza Stone - Pre-Order @ http://www.mightypizzastone.com/order/

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #619 on: May 25, 2014, 11:13:18 AM »
Norma, Beautiful pie. I never heard of tomato pies till I saw your post. I started making it late last year. I really love the taste regardless of the baking temperature.

Thanks Bert!  There are different kinds of “tomato pies”.  Your tomato pie looks delicious!  Your MPO is amazing too  8).

Norma

wordpress