A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's  (Read 218939 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Re: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's
« Reply #720 on: July 19, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
This NY style pizza was baked in the Blackstone on firebricks.  The dough was a preferment dough made with the Lallemand aromatic yeast.  Craig mentioned to me about adding molasses to the ADY which I did.  Thanks Craig!  ;D  If anyone is interested in the other photos and write-up they start at Reply 111 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32478.msg326565#msg326565

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #721 on: July 20, 2014, 06:25:50 PM »
I really love the look of that pizza! I think it's one of the prettiest pies ever posted.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #722 on: July 21, 2014, 06:42:34 AM »
I really love the look of that pizza! I think it's one of the prettiest pies ever posted.

Thanks Craig!

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #723 on: July 25, 2014, 09:52:51 PM »
Tim (RockyMountainPie) gave me his formulation to get a better flavor in the crust by using the Durkee Garlic Romano Sprinkle in the dough.  I changed his formulation a little bit.  I thought the dough was sticky for 63% hydration.  I used different methods for mixing and had to do a few stretch and folds.  Tim had give me some of the Durkee Garlic Romano Sprinkle to try when he was at market recently. http://profileshowcase.foodprofile.com/ProductUpc/000280tonebrothers/047600591842?MFR_NUM=000118 

Tim's dough will either be baked in the Blackstone tomorrow or Sunday.  The dough does smell very good. 

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #724 on: July 26, 2014, 08:34:48 AM »
Norma,

Can you tell me how much sugar is used and what the last ingredient is? I couldn't make out those items.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #725 on: July 26, 2014, 09:53:47 AM »
Norma,

Can you tell me how much sugar is used and what the last ingredient is? I couldn't make out those items.

Peter

Peter,

These were the percents for the ingredients.

Flour 100%
Water 63%
IDY 0.40%
Salt Kosher 1.75%
Olive Oil 1.5%
Sugar 0.07%
Cornmeal 1.5%  (Durkee garlic Romano sprinkle)

This is Tim's formulation if anyone wants to compare to what I used.

This formulation is for a 16.5 inch pizza.  Nominal TF of 0.08 and 2% bowl compensation:

Flour (100%):293.5 g  |  10.35 oz | 0.65 lbs 
Garlic Roman Seasoning (1.5%): 4.4 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.33 tsp | 0.44 tbsp
Water (63%):184.91 g  |  6.52 oz | 0.41 lbs 
IDY (0.45%):1.32 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.44 tsp | 0.15 tbsp 
Kosher Salt (2%):5.87 g | 0.21 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.22 tsp | 0.41 tbsp 
Olive Oil (1.5%): 4.4 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.98 tsp | 0.33 tbsp 
Sugar (0.085%): 0.25 g | 0.01 oz | 0 lbs | 0.06 tsp | 0.02 tbsp 
Total (168.535%): 494.65 g | 17.45 oz | 1.09 lbs | TF = 0.0816 

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #726 on: July 26, 2014, 08:48:43 PM »
Switching gears from the last dough ball and formulation I posted.  I am going to bake Tim's dough ball tomorrow.

This was a Lallemand yeast dough I made today.  Used GM Neapolitan flour.  Formulation posted below.  I have been feeding the Lallemand aromatic yeast with organic Daisy bread flour and Daisy organic whole wheat pastry flour.  I used the Lallemand aromatic yeast fed with flours and water as a preferment. 

If anyone is interested the other photos start at Reply 210  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32478.msg328145#msg328145

Norma
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:50:32 PM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #727 on: July 26, 2014, 08:51:25 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #728 on: July 27, 2014, 08:05:06 AM »
Tim's dough ball with the garlic Romano sprinkles smells good this morning, and looks like it is fermenting fine.  The dough ball does have a garlic smell.

Will be interesting to see how the crust tastes after it is baked.

Norma

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #729 on: July 27, 2014, 08:28:37 AM »
Love the rubberband trick to measure sourdough activity.  Simple, inexpensive, works great.  I did a quick search to see the origin of this idea,  I just missed it before.

Always enjoy seeing the results of your creations.

Dave

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #730 on: July 27, 2014, 08:56:20 AM »
Love the rubberband trick to measure sourdough activity.  Simple, inexpensive, works great.  I did a quick search to see the origin of this idea,  I just missed it before.

Dave

Dave,

I got that rubber band thing to measure activity somewhere here on the forum.  I sure don't know what member posted about using a rubber band first.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #731 on: July 27, 2014, 12:07:13 PM »
I got that rubber band thing to measure activity somewhere here on the forum.  I sure don't know what member posted about using a rubber band first.

Norma
Norma,

I don't recall who was the first one to use the rubber band as you used it and reported it on the forum, but I used the rubber band method back in 2005 and described it at Reply 8 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1508.msg13777;topicseen#msg13777. However, I believe that I got the idea from someone else.

I even used two different colored rubber bands to keep an experiment straight, at Reply 96 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=986.msg25896;topicseen#msg25896.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #732 on: July 27, 2014, 12:33:48 PM »
Norma,

I don't recall who was the first one to use the rubber band as you used it and reported it on the forum, but I used the rubber band method back in 2005 and described it at Reply 8 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1508.msg13777;topicseen#msg13777. However, I believe that I got the idea from someone else.

I even used two different colored rubber bands to keep an experiment straight, at Reply 96 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=986.msg25896;topicseen#msg25896.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for providing those links.  In Reply 8 you composed quite a list of “tips and tools”.  I enjoyed reading your post at Reply 96 about your experiments and the two different colored rubber bands to keep the experiment straight. 

Norma

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #733 on: July 27, 2014, 01:27:40 PM »
New Forum rule.  If you wrote about something 9 years ago it is OK, to claim Forum originality.  :)

Thanks for the tips and tricks in that first link.

Dave

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #734 on: July 27, 2014, 01:49:03 PM »
New Forum rule.  If you wrote about something 9 years ago it is OK, to claim Forum originality.  :)

Thanks for the tips and tricks in that first link.

Dave

Dave,

I think Peter even beat Bill (Bill/SFNM) about the rubber bands.  See Reply 19 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3601.msg30635#msg30635  I think that was the first post from Bill about using rubber bands.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #735 on: July 27, 2014, 03:55:25 PM »
In granddaughter, great-granddaughter’s and my opinion we all thought the crust using Tim's dough ball was very tasty.  The garlic or Romano really could not be tasted in the crust but they must have contributed to a better tasting crust. 

I thought it was kind of interesting how the bottom of the dough ball fermented.  There were bigger bubbles on the bottom of the dough ball than when a dough ball normally is cold fermented for two days.  The top of the dough ball did not get any bubbles on the surface even after it warmed-up for 2 hrs. When the dough ball was plopped out of the plastic container then the bottom of the dough ball looked normal.  The dough ball was easy to open.  Scalfani crushed tomatoes (with nothing added) were used as the sauce on Tim's pie.  I used a 3 cheese blend which was cheddar, Bella Fran mozzarella and a little of smoked Gouda.  The smoked Gouda sheds darkened in the bake but we thought the blend was very good.  The smoked Gouda added another dimension of favor to the whole pizza.

The temperature on the firebricks when the pie was slid onto the firebricks was 628 degrees F.  The pizza was not rotated. 

Thanks a lot Tim!

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #736 on: July 27, 2014, 03:58:43 PM »
Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #737 on: July 27, 2014, 05:00:11 PM »
Norma,

That's a good looking pizza. But what surprised me the most about your dough formulation was the 0.07% sugar (or 0.085% sugar for Tim's formulation). I don't know if that is an error but quantitatively it would be around a pinch of sugar. Is that what you used?

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #738 on: July 27, 2014, 06:40:37 PM »
Norma,

That's a good looking pizza. But what surprised me the most about your dough formulation was the 0.07% sugar (or 0.085% sugar for Tim's formulation). I don't know if that is an error but quantitatively it would be around a pinch of sugar. Is that what you used?

Peter

Peter,

Thanks!

I know that was not much of any sugar.  I decided to try even less than Tim's formulation when I was putting numbers in the expanded dough calculation tool because I was going to bake at a higher temperature in the Blackstone.  I used my small scale and measured out 0.16 g of sugar.  I thought at the time what was the use of using such a small amount of sugar.  I had to ask Tim how he decided on such a small amount of sugar in his formulation.

If I find time tomorrow I might make a dough for market with the same formulation.  I am curious if a one-day cold ferment with the garlic Romano sprinkles will taste as good as the 2-day cold ferment baked in the Blackstone. 

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #739 on: July 27, 2014, 07:09:45 PM »
I had to ask Tim how he decided on such a small amount of sugar in his formulation.

Norma
Norma,

Out of curiosity, dId you get an answer? FYI, most flours inherently have natural sugars. They might not be all sucrose but they are saccharides nonetheless. Most white flours have about 1 gram Sugars per 100 grams of flour. That is more, quantitatively, than what you used. 0.16 grams sugar will have zero impact on your pizza.

Peter

wordpress