A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's  (Read 220944 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Re: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's
« Reply #740 on: July 27, 2014, 09:56:55 PM »
Norma,

Out of curiosity, dId you get an answer? FYI, most flours inherently have natural sugars. They might not be all sucrose but they are saccharides nonetheless. Most white flours have about 1 gram Sugars per 100 grams of flour. That is more, quantitatively, than what you used. 0.16 grams sugar will have zero impact on your pizza.

Peter

Peter,

What I meant to say is I have to ask Tim on how he decided on such a small percentage of sugar.  I sent Tim a PM after I last posted.  I don't think Tim looks at this thread, so I gave him the link for him to see what is being discussed.  I will let you know what Tim has to say if he doesn't reply himself.   

I know most flours have natural sugars.  But I did not now they are saccharides.  I thought the amount of sugar I used would have zero impact on the pizza.  I went ahead and used it anyway.  :-D

Norma

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #741 on: July 28, 2014, 08:33:08 AM »
I thought the amount of sugar I used would have zero impact on the pizza.  I went ahead and used it anyway.
That's my favorite line, right there. :)

I can't count the number of times that I predicted one thing and produced another.

Norma, in a case like this, I'd start  out with 'I was in a hurry, panicked, and used a spoon from the sugar bowl.  It had a little crust on it and .... I thought the amount of sugar I used would have zero impact on the pizza.'  A good preamble makes all the difference. :chef:

Dave

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #742 on: July 28, 2014, 08:56:25 AM »

I can't count the number of times that I predicted one thing and produced another.

Norma, in a case like this, I'd start  out with 'I was in a hurry, panicked, and used a spoon from the sugar bowl.  It had a little crust on it and .... I thought the amount of sugar I used would have zero impact on the pizza.'  A good preamble makes all the difference. :chef:

Dave

Dave,

I also can not count the number of times that I predicted one thing and then produce another. :-D

I am not usually a “beat around the bush” kind of person, and I usually “tell it like it is” when it comes to making pizza.  I knew if anyone (Peter) questioned what I did Peter would be the one to point out the sugar would have zero impact on the pizza.  I already knew that.  I have made so many flub ups in my pizza making days, so what difference does another one make.  :-D

Norma

Offline Donjo911

« Reply #743 on: July 28, 2014, 02:14:16 PM »
Norma
Another masterpiece, Norma!  I really like the way this one looks!
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #744 on: July 28, 2014, 03:03:24 PM »
^^^   All Norma`s work always look so great it would be impossible for me to pick a favorite but I must say I am partial to those Gouda Crispies. This pie would definitely make a `best of` list.   :drool:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #745 on: July 28, 2014, 05:56:42 PM »

Don,

Thank you very much!

^^^   All Norma`s work always look so great it would be impossible for me to pick a favorite but I must say I am partial to those Gouda Crispies. This pie would definitely make a `best of` list.   :drool:

Bob,

I recalled you liked Gouda cheese on pizzas.  This one was for you.   ;D  I also do like Gouda in a blend.  I took a slice over to my mother last evening.  See what she thinks.

Norma

Offline RockyMountainPie

• Lifetime Member
  • Passionate about Pizza!
« Reply #746 on: July 29, 2014, 04:08:04 AM »
Norma,

The pizza you made on your Blackstone at reply #735 looks amazing!  I agree with CB about the tasty-looking Gouda Crispies and that crust looked perfect, both inside and out.

I've had a huge chuckle though, seeing you refer to it as "Tim's doughball" and "Tim's formulation."  Sooo...now it's my turn to "tell it like it is."

The formula I used was actually one of your Boardwalk formulations that you posted back in March:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg304434#msg304434    I love the look of those blisters you achieved!

All I did was add in the Garlic Romano Sprinkle at 1.5% and up the hydration a little to 63%.  So it would correctly be listed like this
for a 16.5" pizza with a TF of 0.08 and 2% bowl compensation:

Flour (100%): 292.26 g  |  10.31 oz | 0.64 lbs
Water (63%): 184.13 g  |  6.49 oz | 0.41 lbs
IDY (.4%): 1.17 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.39 tsp | 0.13 tbsp
Salt (2%): 5.85 g | 0.21 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.22 tsp | 0.41 tbsp
Olive Oil (1.5%): 4.38 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.97 tsp | 0.32 tbsp
Sugar (0.85%): 2.48 g | 0.09 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.62 tsp | 0.21 tbsp
Cornmeal (Garlic Romano Sprinkle) (1.5%): 4.38 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.32 tsp | 0.44 tbsp
Total (169.25%): 494.65 g | 17.45 oz | 1.09 lbs | TF = 0.0816

The "0.085% sugar" was simply a typo!   :-[  Peter was rightly confused and dubious about the use of that small amount of sugar.  Surely only a madman would list the sugar ingredient as "0.085%" but in you, Norma, we have a "mad woman" who was game enough to try it.  :-D  Heck, you even "improved" upon my huge sugar amount by lowering it as compensation for your higher bake temps. 

Anyway, despite the comedy of errors, the end result was a fantastic pizza and no one here called me a crazy fool, so that's a plus.   Keep up the great work Norma and let me know if you ever need me to create more chaos and confusion. I have a knack for it.   :P

--Tim

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #747 on: July 29, 2014, 06:34:53 AM »
Norma,

The pizza you made on your Blackstone at reply #735 looks amazing!  I agree with CB about the tasty-looking Gouda Crispies and that crust looked perfect, both inside and out.

I've had a huge chuckle though, seeing you refer to it as "Tim's doughball" and "Tim's formulation."  Sooo...now it's my turn to "tell it like it is."

The formula I used was actually one of your Boardwalk formulations that you posted back in March:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg304434#msg304434    I love the look of those blisters you achieved!

All I did was add in the Garlic Romano Sprinkle at 1.5% and up the hydration a little to 63%.  So it would correctly be listed like this
for a 16.5" pizza with a TF of 0.08 and 2% bowl compensation:

Flour (100%): 292.26 g  |  10.31 oz | 0.64 lbs
Water (63%): 184.13 g  |  6.49 oz | 0.41 lbs
IDY (.4%): 1.17 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.39 tsp | 0.13 tbsp
Salt (2%): 5.85 g | 0.21 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.22 tsp | 0.41 tbsp
Olive Oil (1.5%): 4.38 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.97 tsp | 0.32 tbsp
Sugar (0.85%): 2.48 g | 0.09 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.62 tsp | 0.21 tbsp
Cornmeal (Garlic Romano Sprinkle) (1.5%): 4.38 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.32 tsp | 0.44 tbsp
Total (169.25%): 494.65 g | 17.45 oz | 1.09 lbs | TF = 0.0816

The "0.085% sugar" was simply a typo!   :-[  Peter was rightly confused and dubious about the use of that small amount of sugar.  Surely only a madman would list the sugar ingredient as "0.085%" but in you, Norma, we have a "mad woman" who was game enough to try it.  :-D  Heck, you even "improved" upon my huge sugar amount by lowering it as compensation for your higher bake temps. 

Anyway, despite the comedy of errors, the end result was a fantastic pizza and no one here called me a crazy fool, so that's a plus.   Keep up the great work Norma and let me know if you ever need me to create more chaos and confusion. I have a knack for it.   :P

--Tim

Tim,

Thanks about your pizza!  ;) Since you were the person that gave me the formulation I thought it was yours. 

Lol about the typo for the sugar amount in the formulation you gave me.  Yep, I guess I am like a “mad woman” sometimes. 

Nobody here on the forum would ever call you a crazy fool.  I had to chuckle about your reply about causing chaos and confusion if I wanted some more.   :-D

I wanted to ask you if you had any problem mixing the 63% hydration dough.  I had to do some stretch and folds to make the dough okay to be able to ball it.  What kind of flour were you using when you used your formulation?

I am trying something like your formulation on the flavour of dough thread today.  What was the highest amount of Garlic Romano Sprinkles you ever tried in one of your dough formulations? 

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #748 on: July 29, 2014, 08:35:35 AM »
I'm glad to see the clarification of the sugar issue  ;D. The only rational and logical explanation was a typographical error. At least that error was not a harmful one. One of the most common errors of this sort that I see is where someone misstates thickness factors. For example, someone might use 0.85 instead of 0.085. If someone believes that 0.85 is correct, that error can become a problem. Usually when I see these errors I sneak into the posts and fix them, which I am able to do at any time because I am a Moderator (I believe that members have only one day in which to modify their posts). While I am at it, I will usually fix other typos and misspellings and other obvious errors, especially those that render posts unintelligible. Those posts that are filled with errors I ignore. It would be nice if more members used the forum's spell checker, as imperfect as it might be, but that seems to be a lost cause.

As for formatting of dough formulations, especially those that use ingredients that are not included in the selected dough calculating tool, I might use one of the following formats, using Tim's dough formulation as an example:

Flour (100%):
Water (63%):
IDY (0.40%):
Salt (2%):
Olive Oil (1.5%):
Sugar (0.85%):
Garlic Romano Sprinkle (1.5%):
Total (169.25%):
292.26 g  |  10.31 oz | 0.64 lbs
184.13 g  |  6.49 oz | 0.41 lbs
1.17 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.39 tsp | 0.13 tbsp
5.85 g | 0.21 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.05 tsp | 0.35 tbsp
4.38 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.97 tsp | 0.32 tbsp
2.48 g | 0.09 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.62 tsp | 0.21 tbsp
4.38 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs
494.65 g | 17.45 oz | 1.09 lbs | TF = 0.0816

or

Flour (100%):
Water (63%):
IDY (0.40%):
Salt (2%):
Olive Oil (1.5%):
Sugar (0.85%):
Cornmeal Garlic Romano Sprinkle (1.5%):
Total (169.25%):
4.38 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.32 tsp | 0.44 tbsp

The above formats make sure that someone doesn't use cornmeal and that they use the correct amount of the Garlic Romano Sprinkle (by weight). Sometimes, if I know the conversion of an ingredient from weight to volume, for example, using conversion data on the label of the product in question (if provided), or actual conversions done on a scale, I will modify the formulation to show those conversions from weight to volume.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #749 on: July 29, 2014, 08:32:20 PM »
I'm glad to see the clarification of the sugar issue  ;D. The only rational and logical explanation was a typographical error. At least that error was not a harmful one. One of the most common errors of this sort that I see is where someone misstates thickness factors. For example, someone might use 0.85 instead of 0.085. If someone believes that 0.85 is correct, that error can become a problem. Usually when I see these errors I sneak into the posts and fix them, which I am able to do at any time because I am a Moderator (I believe that members have only one day in which to modify their posts). While I am at it, I will usually fix other typos and misspellings and other obvious errors, especially those that render posts unintelligible. Those posts that are filled with errors I ignore. It would be nice if more members used the forum's spell checker, as imperfect as it might be, but that seems to be a lost cause.

As for formatting of dough formulations, especially those that use ingredients that are not included in the selected dough calculating tool, I might use one of the following formats, using Tim's dough formulation as an example:

Flour (100%):
Water (63%):
IDY (0.40%):
Salt (2%):
Olive Oil (1.5%):
Sugar (0.85%):
Garlic Romano Sprinkle (1.5%):
Total (169.25%):
4.38 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs

or

Flour (100%):
Water (63%):
IDY (0.40%):
Salt (2%):
Olive Oil (1.5%):
Sugar (0.85%):
Cornmeal Garlic Romano Sprinkle (1.5%):
Total (169.25%):
4.38 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.32 tsp | 0.44 tbsp

The above formats make sure that someone doesn't use cornmeal and that they use the correct amount of the Garlic Romano Sprinkle (by weight). Sometimes, if I know the conversion of an ingredient from weight to volume, for example, using conversion data on the label of the product in question (if provided), or actual conversions done on a scale, I will modify the formulation to show those conversions from weight to volume.

Peter

Peter,

It is good that we have you to watch after us in what we do sometimes.  I don't know what the forum would do without you.  I did not know all the things that you correct here on the forum. 

Thanks for all of your help!

Norma   

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #750 on: July 30, 2014, 07:24:04 AM »
Norma,

While people come to this forum for a variety of reasons, I think the main reason is for the forum's content. And if that content is not in good shape, or is hard to access through the forum's search functions, I think that is not a good thing for the forum. So, that is why I try to fix things that are broken, such as reorienting misoriented photos, finding replacement or sustitute links for those that no longer work, correcting obvious errors, and so on. In my opinion, not doing these sorts of things is not an option.

On the matter of inoperative links alone, between Steve and me, and with the help of the Wayback Machine, we have fixed literally hundreds of inoperative links. We even have PMQ Think Tank links that work on our forum but don't work at the PMQTT forum itself because PMQ apparently didn't care enough to fix them themselves when they last upgraded their forum software. And the PMQTT links are not archived at the Wayback Machine. We had so many PMQTT links on our forum that finding a solution was imperative in my opinion. Unfortunately, fixing inoperative links globally isn't always an option, as it was with the PMQTT links and in a few other cases. That means having to fix inoperative links manually, one at a time, and only Steve and the Moderators can do this for most of the posts. I have fixed inoperative links this way hundreds of times over the years. It has certainly helped that we now have more Moderators since that has freed up more time for me to devote to maintenance matters such as discussed above.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #751 on: July 30, 2014, 09:16:13 AM »
Norma,

While people come to this forum for a variety of reasons, I think the main reason is for the forum's content. And if that content is not in good shape, or is hard to access through the forum's search functions, I think that is not a good thing for the forum. So, that is why I try to fix things that are broken, such as reorienting misoriented photos, finding replacement or sustitute links for those that no longer work, correcting obvious errors, and so on. In my opinion, not doing these sorts of things is not an option.

On the matter of inoperative links alone, between Steve and me, and with the help of the Wayback Machine, we have fixed literally hundreds of inoperative links. We even have PMQ Think Tank links that work on our forum but don't work at the PMQTT forum itself because PMQ apparently didn't care enough to fix them themselves when they last upgraded their forum software. And the PMQTT links are not archived at the Wayback Machine. We had so many PMQTT links on our forum that finding a solution was imperative in my opinion. Unfortunately, fixing inoperative links globally isn't always an option, as it was with the PMQTT links and in a few other cases. That means having to fix inoperative links manually, one at a time, and only Steve and the Moderators can do this for most of the posts. I have fixed inoperative links this way hundreds of times over the years. It has certainly helped that we now have more Moderators since that has freed up more time for me to devote to maintenance matters such as discussed above.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for explaining more about how you and Steve fix the inoperative links.  I don't think people that come here to the forum to search for something, or even members appreciate all that is done to be able to keep the forum running like it is today.

Norma

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #752 on: July 31, 2014, 04:37:15 PM »
I mixed a bar style dough using the new Lallemand A18 aromatic yeast as the leavening agent.  If anyone is interested in seeing the other photos of the bar style pie baked in the BS they start at Reply 34 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32478.msg324859#msg324859
Norma

Norma, where did you get this yeast? Is it dry or fresh? A pizza tattoo? WOW. Now that is dedication!

Keeping in tune with the thread title Cabelas is running a sale on blackstone pizza oven right now ($399 USD). I think others have found it cheaper with the groupon deal. Anyway, is this the older style? I thought they incorporated a propane tank stand in the bottom of the new ones? Perhaps I have been reading the "blackstone Mods" thread too much.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:38:58 PM by DNA Dan »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #753 on: July 31, 2014, 07:53:50 PM »
Norma, where did you get this yeast? Is it dry or fresh? A pizza tattoo? WOW. Now that is dedication!

Keeping in tune with the thread title Cabelas is running a sale on blackstone pizza oven right now ($399 USD). I think others have found it cheaper with the groupon deal. Anyway, is this the older style? I thought they incorporated a propane tank stand in the bottom of the new ones? Perhaps I have been reading the "blackstone Mods" thread too much.

Dan,

If you are interested in the Lallemand aromatic yeast, Peter started the Lallemand aromatic yeast thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32478.0   The Lallemand aromatic yeast is dry and is a ADY yeast. 

Lol about the pizza tattoo.  The pizza lady is shy and hardly shows herself.

The Blackstone I have is the older model.  I added firebricks on the platter to see how they would work out. 

Norma

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #754 on: August 01, 2014, 08:08:03 AM »
Here is the link to that sale: http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search_catalog_command.cmd?fromProductSearch=true&item1=IK-551256

Indeed, the picture does show the earlier version.  Unless they have old stock, I'm betting this is the newer version w/ tank holder, etc.

Dave

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:10:43 AM by Tampa »

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #755 on: August 01, 2014, 03:49:15 PM »
I noticed the BBQguys dealer has them at the same price. I wonder if they are just trying to clear out older inventory. I'll probably hold out for another Groupon deal in the future.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #756 on: August 03, 2014, 08:35:46 AM »
I was trying a new formulation for the Blackstone, and also wanted to see how a room temperature ferment went.  I used the formula below.  I used GM Neapolitan flour combined with Daisy Organic Bread Flour.  Cold water out of the fridge was used to mix the dough.  The dough mixed nicely, but was a little too sticky.  The dough had 3 stretch and folds and rests in between.  The dough ball was fermenting at the room temperature of about 77 degrees F.  The dough was mixed about 11:00 PM last evening.  As can been seen the dough ball has fermented too much until this morning since I wanted to use it this afternoon to make a pizza.  I am not sure if I want to reball or not.  The dough ball has been placed in the fridge until I can decide what to do.  I don't like to waste cheeses and sauce for a dough ball that might not work out okay.

Norma

EDIT:  I forgot to mention I used real salt and raw sugar in this dough formulation.  I don't know if either of those ingredients made any difference in how the dough fermented or not.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 09:16:25 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #757 on: August 03, 2014, 04:26:16 PM »
I decided to take the dough ball out of the refrigerator after 20 minutes, and then decided to reball the dough.  By the looks of the poppy seed spacings it did not look like the dough ball had fermented too much but I did not trust the poppy seed spacings this time.  After the dough ball was removed from the plastic container the dough felt very slack.  Poppy seeds were then placed on the reball.  The next time I checked the poppy seed spacings was about 12:30 PM.  I then went to run some errands and when I returned at about 2:30 PM the poppy seeds had moved more.  The temperature where the dough ball was room temperature fermented was about 78 degrees F.  The dough ball then looked like it was ready to be used, or a little more than ready to be used to make a pizza. 

The dough ball opened very easily.  I was somewhat surprised about the dough ball opening so easily  because I don't usually have much of any luck with a reball.  The dough ball was a little sticky after coming out of the plastic container but a little bench flour helped the stickiness. 

The pizza was dressed with regular market sauce and Bella Fran mozzarella.  The baked temperature can be seen.  The bake time was quick. 

Even thought the bottom crust was not really brown it still was crispy.  The rim crust did not have a lot of oven spring but it was moist inside.

I really like the taste of the rim crust of this pizza, but I am not sure if it was from using the room temperature ferment, the blend of flours, the reball, or if something else might have contributed to the better tasting crust.  The taste of the crust was a little nutty and had a complex flavor.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #758 on: August 03, 2014, 04:29:38 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #759 on: August 03, 2014, 04:31:38 PM »
Norma