A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's  (Read 219863 times)

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
Re: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's
« Reply #820 on: April 19, 2015, 11:15:48 PM »
I've got the 5 psi regulator. I opened up the front knob full blast, and turned down the regulator until the flame was just lifting away from the burner, so I'd have more control range at the lower end.
Thanks, vtsteve. That's pretty much my set-up going these days except that I added a half-turn back to get the thick bricks up some more. I've got 2-3/4 turns total available, and have it down 1-1/2 turns except the 1 full turn the last time.

Roy,

....I posted about that bake on the Flavour of dough thread. 

I hope your bake goes well if you get to try out the firebricks tomorrow.  When I was using the firebricks I waited until the temperature became stable then backed off on the heat.  The firebricks do hold heat well.  I didn't turn the heat off but watched for a little to see where the temperature was staying almost stable.  I don't think a closeable vent up top would be good.

Norma
My apologies for missing that bake's location. I thought that bake was at market.  My bad.

Thanks, so far so good on the bricks. The thicker bottom is awesome. Great texture. Can't get over how nice. Both new stones wonderful.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #821 on: April 20, 2015, 07:14:55 AM »
Norma,  not sure why the heat shield is not fitting in the grooves, but it is only welded at the top, so you choices are to use a pair of pliers and bend the bottom of the heat shield so it will sit in the grooves, or bend the grooves to make them wider so the heat shield will fit.  I bent the grooves a few weeks after I got it to get the heat shield to sit further back in the BS, which allows more heat to the upper stone.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #822 on: April 20, 2015, 07:58:07 AM »
Norma,  not sure why the heat shield is not fitting in the grooves, but it is only welded at the top, so you choices are to use a pair of pliers and bend the bottom of the heat shield so it will sit in the grooves, or bend the grooves to make them wider so the heat shield will fit.  I bent the grooves a few weeks after I got it to get the heat shield to sit further back in the BS, which allows more heat to the upper stone.

Barry,

I am not sure why the heat shield is not fitting in the groove right either, when it did before.  Thanks for giving me ideas of how to fix the problem.   I didn't know you had to bent your grooves a few weeks after you got it.

Norma

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #823 on: April 21, 2015, 07:23:23 AM »
Norma, to be fair to the BS,  I didn't have to bend them to fit as intended, I just wanted to shift the entire heat shield to the right so that as much hot air would go on the underside of the heat shield.  So I did some patching and bending of the supports and the heat shield to move it so it is sitting as far to the right and the rear as possible. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #824 on: April 21, 2015, 09:11:56 PM »
Norma, to be fair to the BS,  I didn't have to bend them to fit as intended, I just wanted to shift the entire heat shield to the right so that as much hot air would go on the underside of the heat shield.  So I did some patching and bending of the supports and the heat shield to move it so it is sitting as far to the right and the rear as possible.

Barry,

Thanks for clarifying what you did and why.  I wish I would be as handy as your are. 

Norma

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #825 on: April 21, 2015, 09:38:25 PM »
Norma,  I have seen too many photos of pizzas that you have cranked out to have any doubt about your skills.  The heat shield is pretty flexible, and you should be able to bend it, or the brackets, into shape pretty easily.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #826 on: April 21, 2015, 10:27:27 PM »
Norma,  I have seen too many photos of pizzas that you have cranked out to have any doubt about your skills.  The heat shield is pretty flexible, and you should be able to bend it, or the brackets, into shape pretty easily.

Barry,

Thanks for telling me the heat shield is pretty flexible and I should be able to take care of getting it to fit right.  I have my doubts I can do that but will try.  The skills I worry about it getting the BS back into its right shape again. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #827 on: April 30, 2015, 05:13:14 PM »
I purchased a rope to try and straighten out the BS, but then recalled it is still under warranty.  Since the Blackstone is still under warranty (photo 8) (until July 21, 2015) as I posted at Reply 1 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg267405#msg267405   I called Calebla's about if they could do something about the parts that are not fitting right.  I then had to call the 1-866-257-6544 number for Cabela's Xtreme Protection plan.  I explained what was wrong.  They said they would probably pay for the parts that are needed, but they might also decide if the whole unit could be reimbursed or not.  I won't know about any decisions until 3 business days.  I had one person from the Calbela's Xtreme Protection plan hang up on me because he told me no parts can be replaced.  I talked to 4 total people at Calbela Xtreme Protection plan.  I did call Blackstone Products to get the parts numbers that might be needed.  Does anyone think I need a new dome, heat shield and main body to repair the BS?

Norma

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #828 on: April 30, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »
Norma,

if you take some measurements of the body across the top where the dome slides on, I will do the same and we can compare. Maybe do the same with the dome. Perhaps three measurements each, to see if something is warped, and where.

Roy

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #829 on: April 30, 2015, 05:41:21 PM »
Norma,

if you take some measurements of the body across the top where the dome slides on, I will do the same and we can compare. Maybe do the same with the dome. Perhaps three measurements each, to see if something is warped, and where.

Roy

Roy,

I am not that good at taking measurements.  :-[  Here are some.  Where do you want me to take them?  When the heat shield fits flat on the back, and in the front grooves, then the dome won't go on.

Norma

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #830 on: April 30, 2015, 06:25:40 PM »
Sorry, norma. I had to rush things as a storm is bearing down. I got some, though. I'll tell you where I measured. I can measure anything else after the storms pass tonight.

The opening of the frame where the pizza goes in and out is 17-inches. This is about 2-inches down, where the edges go straight instead of tapered in. In your 3rd pic, it's right above the round turn-table.

See the handles in the main unit in your first picture. I measured going straight across like you did, but at the front screw, back screw and middle. Mine were 19-3/4 inches (front), 22-1/4 middle and 20-1/4 at the back screw.

On the dome, upside down as you did, straight across is 22-1/2 inches. (the frame was 22-1/4, so it slides over.)

The brackets that are tack welded into the dome on the inside of the dome is where I measured next, but at the edge of the steel like you did. Both of the distances going straight across at the brackets from weld spot to weld spot are 20-1/2 inches. Assuming yours are at the same spots as mine are, they should be equal. The spot in the dome where it lines up with those weld spots should be equal to each other, too. I think these two sets of measurements would be the best ones to make a judgement with.

Front to back like the last picture you did was 18-3/4 inches. 

Let me know if you want more or different measurements. After the rain, of course. Don't wanna soak my nice fire-bricks.  ;D

Roy

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #831 on: April 30, 2015, 07:14:02 PM »
Sorry, norma. I had to rush things as a storm is bearing down. I got some, though. I'll tell you where I measured. I can measure anything else after the storms pass tonight.

The opening of the frame where the pizza goes in and out is 17-inches. This is about 2-inches down, where the edges go straight instead of tapered in. In your 3rd pic, it's right above the round turn-table.

See the handles in the main unit in your first picture. I measured going straight across like you did, but at the front screw, back screw and middle. Mine were 19-3/4 inches (front), 22-1/4 middle and 20-1/4 at the back screw.

On the dome, upside down as you did, straight across is 22-1/2 inches. (the frame was 22-1/4, so it slides over.)

The brackets that are tack welded into the dome on the inside of the dome is where I measured next, but at the edge of the steel like you did. Both of the distances going straight across at the brackets from weld spot to weld spot are 20-1/2 inches. Assuming yours are at the same spots as mine are, they should be equal. The spot in the dome where it lines up with those weld spots should be equal to each other, too. I think these two sets of measurements would be the best ones to make a judgement with.

Front to back like the last picture you did was 18-3/4 inches. 

Let me know if you want more or different measurements. After the rain, of course. Don't wanna soak my nice fire-bricks.  ;D

Roy

Roy,

Thanks for taking measurements for me.  I will copy what your measurements and go outside probably Saturday because it is supposed to rain here soon. 

These are a few more photos, but no measurements.

I wouldn't want you to get your firebricks wet.  ;) Mine have been wet many times though.  :-D

Norma

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #832 on: April 30, 2015, 10:36:16 PM »
Norma,

I took another look at your measurements. I'll measure again the same, but I think your pictures show us that the oven part is warped. At least that's what I'm seeing. Picture "014" is hard to see. There's some sort of optical illusion thing going on or it looks sort of pushed out right about were you're measuring it.

Picture "013" appears to be taken about where I measured mine. Yours looks like 22-11/16-inch. Mine is 22-1/4 inch. My dome is 22-1/2 inches to yours at 22-3/4-ish. (hard to see, and might have ben off-line.) That makes your oven 7/16ths wider at that spot. Perhaps there's a versioning difference between the two ovens. Perhaps designed for "better " heat reflection or something. Maybe that's why I'm trying to make my flame move away from my cornicione.

Regardless, I'll be curious to hear if they put two different bodies out. 

I'll double check my measurements when things dry out. I'm trying to imagine what set of measurements you could take that would tell you definitively. Geometry was a long, long, long time ago.

-Roy

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #833 on: April 30, 2015, 11:35:01 PM »
Are those painted bear paws?  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #834 on: May 01, 2015, 06:41:36 AM »
Hi Norma,

From what I can see from your pictures, it definitely looks like one of the oven's "circles" (either the top or the base) have warped to a slight "oval" and that is causing your problem. If you can get a second (or even third) set of hands, try squeezing the top dome by pushing from the front and also from the back to change the shape enough to wiggle-fit over base. Wacking the area that is sticking out with a wooden mallet as you push down on the top might help too. Keep us posted and take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #835 on: May 01, 2015, 07:43:23 AM »
Norma,

I took another look at your measurements. I'll measure again the same, but I think your pictures show us that the oven part is warped. At least that's what I'm seeing. Picture "014" is hard to see. There's some sort of optical illusion thing going on or it looks sort of pushed out right about were you're measuring it.

Picture "013" appears to be taken about where I measured mine. Yours looks like 22-11/16-inch. Mine is 22-1/4 inch. My dome is 22-1/2 inches to yours at 22-3/4-ish. (hard to see, and might have ben off-line.) That makes your oven 7/16ths wider at that spot. Perhaps there's a versioning difference between the two ovens. Perhaps designed for "better " heat reflection or something. Maybe that's why I'm trying to make my flame move away from my cornicione.

Regardless, I'll be curious to hear if they put two different bodies out. 

I'll double check my measurements when things dry out. I'm trying to imagine what set of measurements you could take that would tell you definitively. Geometry was a long, long, long time ago.

-Roy

Roy,

Thanks for taking another look at the measurements and the photos, and telling me what measurements you got.  Before I took the BS apart yesterday I did have the top dome on.  I had hammered it on with a regular hammer and made a couple of dings on the one side of the dome doing that.  I had a heck of a time getting the dome off.  I said before the heat shield didn't fit on right but when the dome is off it does fit in the grooves and on the back little ledge.  It would have stuck out too far to get the dome on though.  I have to take my great granddaughter to school this morning and run some errands and when I get home I will try to take some more measurements.  I know it is hard to show in photos what is really going on. 

When I talked to Blackstone yesterday Vanessa told me the body's, dome and heat shields are the same for the 5 psi and 10 psi.  I sent some of the photos to BS since the engineers never heard of something happening to the BS like what happened to mine.

I did pick up some Krylon High Heat paint yesterday but am not going to sand and paint anything until Cabela's decides what they will or will not do.

Are those painted bear paws?  ;D

Bob,

Yep, painted bear claws.   >:D

Hi Norma,

From what I can see from your pictures, it definitely looks like one of the oven's "circles" (either the top or the base) have warped to a slight "oval" and that is causing your problem. If you can get a second (or even third) set of hands, try squeezing the top dome by pushing from the front and also from the back to change the shape enough to wiggle-fit over base. Wacking the area that is sticking out with a wooden mallet as you push down on the top might help too. Keep us posted and take care!

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for your thoughts on thinking the either top or the base might have warped into a slight oval.  I am not going to try to do anything as far as trying to bend anything.  I was told by Cablea's they might need photos of what is wrong if they decide to give a reimbursement or to give me new parts.  Either of those things might not happen though.  If I have time this weekend I would like to fire up the BS and get the dome to at least fit on a little.  I did tell Cablea's that the motor went bad and I purchased a new one, but I knew my the switch of of using different stones might have made the motor go bad. 

Norma

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #836 on: May 01, 2015, 07:52:35 AM »
Norma,

I think Blackstone has been handling warranties themselves, just in case Cabela's doesn't come through. Just don't make my mistake and mention modifications. Not even the bearing.

There have been many things fixed with a hammer over the years. A hammer, duct tape of a simple blowing on the damage will fix 75% of household items.  :-D

- Roy

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #837 on: May 01, 2015, 08:08:06 AM »
Norma,

I think Blackstone has been handling warranties themselves, just in case Cabela's doesn't come through. Just don't make my mistake and mention modifications. Not even the bearing.

There have been many things fixed with a hammer over the years. A hammer, duct tape of a simple blowing on the damage will fix 75% of household items.  :-D

- Roy

Roy,

I also heard Blackstone has been handling some warranties themselves.  I won't make a mistake and mention the modifications.  The weird thing about what I thought was a bad motor is that is works by batteries alone since it has been in my van all winter.  I am glad you helped me get a stronger motor though.  ;D

I know many things have been fixed with a hammer, duct tape and a simple blowing on the damage.  I don't think steel is going to go the duct tape route though.  If my father still was around I know he could help me get the BS back into shape.  He could repair or make new parts for anything.

I don't know if it was luck or not, but I went rummaging through things to try and find the warranty from Cabela's and the receipt from when I purchased it.  I forget where I placed it but know it is still around.  I then recalled I put both of those photos where here on the forum.  The ST number was right here, so I didn't need to look for the receipt anymore.  8)

Norma

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #838 on: May 01, 2015, 08:44:22 AM »
Norma,

that is good luck.

I had that same exact thing go wrong with mine. Bad chord. It was struggling, though. Motor not liking it's plight. Noise. Same with our clothes dryer this week. Oh well. Things break.

- Roy

Offline Henboy

« Reply #839 on: May 01, 2015, 10:57:47 PM »
Norma:
From what I see in the pictures it appears the oven is warped right where the burner is. Did you ever cook with the top off?
Anyway, get a 1 inch "Ratcheting Tie-down Strap" from Ace or HD. Wrap it around the oven about 1" down from the top. Tighten it slowly so as to squeeze the oven into a smaller circle. Occasionally try on the top to see if it will slip over the edge of the oven where it belongs. Loosen the strap and start cookin"!!