A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's  (Read 226784 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Re: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's
« Reply #840 on: May 02, 2015, 06:31:45 AM »
Norma:
From what I see in the pictures it appears the oven is warped right where the burner is. Did you ever cook with the top off?
Anyway, get a 1 inch "Ratcheting Tie-down Strap" from Ace or HD. Wrap it around the oven about 1" down from the top. Tighten it slowly so as to squeeze the oven into a smaller circle. Occasionally try on the top to see if it will slip over the edge of the oven where it belongs. Loosen the strap and start cookin"!!

Henboy,

Thanks for telling me from what you see in the photos it appears the oven is warped right where the burner is.  You idea to get a 1 inch ratcheting tie-down strap is a good one.  :)  I will see what I can do about that.  Thanks for the instructions on what to do.

No, I never fired up the BS with the cover off.  Dave (Tampa) asked me the same question at Reply 815 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg376606#msg376606 and I replied to Dave's post at Reply 817 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg376693#msg376693 that the last time the BS was fired up was went the motor didn't want to work right.  The last time I fired up the BS to make a pizza was at Reply 782 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg341337#msg341337 I then tired to work on the motor and fired up the BS one last time at Reply 787 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg344576#msg344576  After that I concluded that the motor wouldn't turn the stone right.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #841 on: May 03, 2015, 06:09:10 PM »
Roy,

I tried to take a couple measurements like you did.  Where the opening of the frame is (where the pizza goes in) my measurement was over 17.  You can see what the other measurements were.  Just by looking at the right side (where the flame is)  it looks like that side is warped a little like Henboy posted.  The heat shield also looks like it might stick out a little to far.  A 1 ratchet strap was purchased yesterday but I was too busy yesterday and today to try the ratchet strap.  I also want to wait until I hear from Cabela's. 

My daughter took me to see "The Full Monty" today at the Fulton Theatre and it sure was funny.  That was a lot more fun then trying to get the BS back in shape.  Maybe the BS ate one too many pizzas and that might be why the BS is out of shape.b  :-\

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #842 on: May 04, 2015, 04:48:11 PM »
If anyone is interested, Cabela's called me today and said they are going to give me a complete reimbursement for what I paid for the Blackstone plus the sales tax that was paid.

Norma

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #843 on: May 04, 2015, 05:54:36 PM »
Norma, I'm very please you got a refund. That's nice. Going to get a new one?

I think people under-estimate just how strong that steel body is. Still, it should be possible with that tie strap. Those things can have big force. It will be all about the leverage it gives you and how tight it will let you get to the next "click".

That show sounds like fun. I have not been to one in years. My son's high school put on fantastic productions. Professional one was probably, ohhhhh. 20 years ago.

I'm just now getting to double checking those measurements you posted yesterday. Our two ovens do not match. Not sure if it was like that from the beginning or if it's because of the warping. My distances do not match yours. Mine are equidistant. Same distance from point to point in the front as the back. If, and this is a big "if", the ovens were made exactly the same, then there is no question that there is some warping.

The opening should be the same. it isn't. Yours is almost 1/4 of an inch bigger. Again, made different is a big possibility. I'm thinking probability. That stainless steel looking piece that connects the front together probably did not stretch.  ;D 

So, is curiosity going to get the best of you, meaning you're gonna try the tie-strap thing you bought?

- Roy

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #844 on: May 04, 2015, 06:50:51 PM »
Norma, I'm very please you got a refund. That's nice. Going to get a new one?

I think people under-estimate just how strong that steel body is. Still, it should be possible with that tie strap. Those things can have big force. It will be all about the leverage it gives you and how tight it will let you get to the next "click".

That show sounds like fun. I have not been to one in years. My son's high school put on fantastic productions. Professional one was probably, ohhhhh. 20 years ago.

I'm just now getting to double checking those measurements you posted yesterday. Our two ovens do not match. Not sure if it was like that from the beginning or if it's because of the warping. My distances do not match yours. Mine are equidistant. Same distance from point to point in the front as the back. If, and this is a big "if", the ovens were made exactly the same, then there is no question that there is some warping.

The opening should be the same. it isn't. Yours is almost 1/4 of an inch bigger. Again, made different is a big possibility. I'm thinking probability. That stainless steel looking piece that connects the front together probably did not stretch.  ;D 

So, is curiosity going to get the best of you, meaning you're gonna try the tie-strap thing you bought?

- Roy

Roy,

I will try the ratchet strap at some point in time.  I might botch the shape even more.  :-D If I can't get it fixed I don't think I will purchase a new BS.  The rust and all the other things that can be wrong really aren't appealing to me anymore, even though I would like to make Neapolitan pizzas sometimes.  The Ischia starter was just revived.  It had been in the fridge for so long I thought it might be done for.

Thanks for telling me our ovens don't match.  I know that stainless steel piece probably didn't stretch.   ;D

Norma

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #845 on: May 05, 2015, 12:06:33 PM »
Roy,

I will try the ratchet strap at some point in time.  I might botch the shape even more.  :-D If I can't get it fixed I don't think I will purchase a new BS.  The rust and all the other things that can be wrong really aren't appealing to me anymore, even though I would like to make Neapolitan pizzas sometimes.  The Ischia starter was just revived.  It had been in the fridge for so long I thought it might be done for.

Thanks for telling me our ovens don't match.  I know that stainless steel piece probably didn't stretch.   ;D

Norma
I found myself wondering that situation about whether or not to get a new one. It didn't take me long to think yes, but that's because I don't have near the issues some have. I think folks not from up north under-estimate the damage a long, hard cold Winter can take on things up there. We're using things year round down here and not having moving parts sitting still and degenerating.

The one thing I do wish was that it was easier to get to a NY pie bake than it was for me. That said, I was very green when I got it. It still would have taken me a few months if I had a good deck oven. Hard to blame BS. I do need to explore more genres, though. Especially really hot, blazing genres.  >:D

- Roy

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #846 on: May 05, 2015, 12:18:39 PM »
When you use the strap, you might give the rust a light sanding first and put a bit of shortening on where the two pieces come together to reduce friction a bit.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #847 on: May 05, 2015, 09:49:30 PM »
I found myself wondering that situation about whether or not to get a new one. It didn't take me long to think yes, but that's because I don't have near the issues some have. I think folks not from up north under-estimate the damage a long, hard cold Winter can take on things up there. We're using things year round down here and not having moving parts sitting still and degenerating.

The one thing I do wish was that it was easier to get to a NY pie bake than it was for me. That said, I was very green when I got it. It still would have taken me a few months if I had a good deck oven. Hard to blame BS. I do need to explore more genres, though. Especially really hot, blazing genres.  >:D

- Roy

Roy,

I also thought my BS was working fairly well until the dome fitting problem. 

You are doing a great job in creating a NY style bake in your BS.  ;) Are you going to try Neapolitan pies?  >:D

Vanessa at BS had wanted to let me know what Cabala's did. 

This was the email I got from Cabala's today.

Norma,

I have never seen anything like that.  Have you thought about purchasing our cover?  I live in Utah and use our cover.  My oven stays out in the snow (covered only by the cover) all winter long and it has no signs of rust.

I know you were just refunded by Cabela's, if you were interested in purchasing those parts from us, the pricing is as follows:

2 shelf Dome $20
Heat Shelf $20

I think that was all that you were saying didn't fit.  Let me know if I missed anything and if you are interested in parts.

Thank you!
Venessa P.

What I wonder is why the BS cover would be so much better than the cover I have for rust.  I think it might be too humid where I live, and that is why my BS rusts so much.  I also thought the replacement parts for the BS are very cheap.  I wonder what the 2 shelf Dome is. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #848 on: May 05, 2015, 09:51:39 PM »
When you use the strap, you might give the rust a light sanding first and put a bit of shortening on where the two pieces come together to reduce friction a bit.

Craig,

Thanks for telling me I should do a little sanding first.  Where do you mean I should put a bit of shortening on where the two pieces come together.

Norma

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #849 on: May 06, 2015, 09:05:50 AM »
Roy,

I also thought my BS was working fairly well until the dome fitting problem. 

You are doing a great job in creating a NY style bake in your BS.  ;) Are you going to try Neapolitan pies?  >:D

Vanessa at BS had wanted to let me know what Cabala's did. 

This was the email I got from Cabala's today.

Norma,

I have never seen anything like that.  Have you thought about purchasing our cover?  I live in Utah and use our cover.  My oven stays out in the snow (covered only by the cover) all winter long and it has no signs of rust.

I know you were just refunded by Cabela's, if you were interested in purchasing those parts from us, the pricing is as follows:

2 shelf Dome $20
Heat Shelf $20

I think that was all that you were saying didn't fit.  Let me know if I missed anything and if you are interested in parts.

Thank you!
Venessa P.

What I wonder is why the BS cover would be so much better than the cover I have for rust.  I think it might be too humid where I live, and that is why my BS rusts so much.  I also thought the replacement parts for the BS are very cheap.  I wonder what the 2 shelf Dome is. 

Norma
Norma, that sure does sound affordable. I have no idea what they are calling a two-shelf dome. I don't think that it's the item that is warped. I think that is the main oven compartment, or unit. The online manual, in PDF form, shows this as part #1, the "Main Body". I'm not sure what else is warped. I bet the dome isn't in the best condition, as far as conforming to original shape.

I don't think your cover had anything to do with it. Wasn't something not on there for part of the Winter? I don't recall everything. 

I don't think it's too humid there. It's a harsh environment. We're every bit as humid here. It's like covering a standard grill. If you do it when it's warm or when it's the least bit wet, it will retain moisture and just rust. I won't bake on the BS unless I know for sure that it will not rain for the next 3-4 hours. Well, maybe at the top end of that range, but I would want to take the top off afterwards to let everything dry. I have seen very young grills rusted due to not cooling or otherwise being covered when wet. I understand there is some debate to that end - whether or not to cover them at all.

My mother was bragging up and own about some sort of rust cleaner or removal that she used on parts of her 12 year old car in Upstate NY. I can find out what it was if you end up keeping and cleaning your BS and are interested.

Yup, I will most definitely try a NP pie. I want to get further in my understanding of dough before I attack it. I'll look at Craig's nest NP threads that are stickies at the beginning of that section. Look at them "again", I mean. Some of the videos I've seen of folks ripping into them look oh so good.  :drool:

Detroit is next, though.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #850 on: May 06, 2015, 10:30:35 AM »
Craig,

Thanks for telling me I should do a little sanding first.  Where do you mean I should put a bit of shortening on where the two pieces come together.

Norma

Where the top and body overlap - maybe put a little bit on the outside edge of the top or on the outside edge of the body - or both - just something to make them slide together easier.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #851 on: May 06, 2015, 10:35:59 AM »
I wonder what the 2 shelf Dome is. 

Norma

Your measurements were different, as compared to Roy's, correct?

"2 shelf dome" is the dome for the early model BS that has the 2 lower shelves....newer model only has 1 shelf and uses a different size dome.

"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #852 on: May 06, 2015, 12:41:40 PM »
Norma, that sure does sound affordable. I have no idea what they are calling a two-shelf dome. I don't think that it's the item that is warped. I think that is the main oven compartment, or unit. The online manual, in PDF form, shows this as part #1, the "Main Body". I'm not sure what else is warped. I bet the dome isn't in the best condition, as far as conforming to original shape.

I don't think your cover had anything to do with it. Wasn't something not on there for part of the Winter? I don't recall everything. 

I don't think it's too humid there. It's a harsh environment. We're every bit as humid here. It's like covering a standard grill. If you do it when it's warm or when it's the least bit wet, it will retain moisture and just rust. I won't bake on the BS unless I know for sure that it will not rain for the next 3-4 hours. Well, maybe at the top end of that range, but I would want to take the top off afterwards to let everything dry. I have seen very young grills rusted due to not cooling or otherwise being covered when wet. I understand there is some debate to that end - whether or not to cover them at all.

My mother was bragging up and own about some sort of rust cleaner or removal that she used on parts of her 12 year old car in Upstate NY. I can find out what it was if you end up keeping and cleaning your BS and are interested.

Yup, I will most definitely try a NP pie. I want to get further in my understanding of dough before I attack it. I'll look at Craig's nest NP threads that are stickies at the beginning of that section. Look at them "again", I mean. Some of the videos I've seen of folks ripping into them look oh so good.  :drool:

Detroit is next, though.

Roy,

I wrote to Vanessa this morning and asked what the two shelf dome was.  I don't think it's the item that is warped either.  I did ask Vanessa for the 3 part numbers I thought I needed when Cabela's told me to find out the part numbers.  My dome was really tough to get on and off from the beginning, but nothing like it is now. 

I sent Vanessa photos of the cover I have on the BS and asked her why the BS cover would be better. 

I don't think I ever covered the BS when it was still warm.  Thanks for telling me its every bit as humid where you live.  If you can find out about the rust remover your mother was talking about that would be good.  I have tried many rust removers in the past for various things.  This guy on YouTube even recommends fermented molasses to take off rust.    :-\

The only part that wasn't put on right over the winter was the dome.  It was just put on the top and not fitted on properly.

Good to hear you will try Neapolitan pizzas and Detroit style pizzas in your Blackstone.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #853 on: May 06, 2015, 12:43:41 PM »
Where the top and body overlap - maybe put a little bit on the outside edge of the top or on the outside edge of the body - or both - just something to make them slide together easier.

Thanks for explaining more Craig!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #854 on: May 06, 2015, 12:47:07 PM »
  Your measurements were different, as compared to Roy's, correct?

"2 shelf dome" is the dome for the early model BS that has the 2 lower shelves....newer model only has 1 shelf and uses a different size dome.

Bob,

Yes, my measurements were different than Roy's.  I didn't know the 2 shelf dome was different than the one shelf.  I asked Vanessa if the parts had changed (except the psi and the shelves) at all on the newer Blackstones and she said no.  Maybe I didn't ask enough questions.

Norma

Offline Henboy

« Reply #855 on: May 06, 2015, 07:17:53 PM »
Norma:

The dome on the newer/one shelf model is formed into one piece. The older/two shelf model's dome is 2 piece and welded at the front panel.

I am with others in the opinion that your dome is OK; the body, especially near the burner, appears warped.

Fixing your oven is much easier than it looks! Just go slowly when "squeezing" the oven body, and test frequently until the dome slips over the body.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #856 on: May 06, 2015, 08:06:12 PM »
Norma:

The dome on the newer/one shelf model is formed into one piece. The older/two shelf model's dome is 2 piece and welded at the front panel.

I am with others in the opinion that your dome is OK; the body, especially near the burner, appears warped.

Fixing your oven is much easier than it looks! Just go slowly when "squeezing" the oven body, and test frequently until the dome slips over the body.

Henboy,

Thanks for telling me that the newer/one shelf model is formed into one piece.  Glad to hear you also think that my dome is okay. 

I will take your advise when I find time to work on the body.  I would have tried to work on it today but it kept raining on and off.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #857 on: May 09, 2015, 10:25:53 AM »
Since I am not a mechanic, and don't really know what I am doing,  I was trying to get the Blackstone in shape this morning so the dome would fit over the body.  I am not sure how good the ratchet strap method worked since the front of the BS isn't round.  It seemed to pulled the front sides in and then there was a bigger gap in the back.  The hammer method seemed to work best.  At least the dome does fit now, but is still tight and I had to use a hammer on the one side where it was bowed before.

I wanted to ask if anyone has any addition ideas.  If not then I will use a hammer each time the dome is taken off and put back on.  :-D I am going to start sanding and wire brushing the rust off before the paint job.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #858 on: May 09, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
Norma

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #859 on: May 09, 2015, 04:10:24 PM »
Norma,

I'd say that's an excellent show of brute force. I wonder if it will get progressively easier? Maybe put your favorite stone/bricks in for a few bakes?

I'll be chatting with my mother soon and will get the name of that rust stuff. I think she's still out of town until Monday.

- Roy

wordpress