A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's  (Read 232956 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Re: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's
« Reply #860 on: May 09, 2015, 05:07:42 PM »
Norma,

I'd say that's an excellent show of brute force. I wonder if it will get progressively easier? Maybe put your favorite stone/bricks in for a few bakes?

I'll be chatting with my mother soon and will get the name of that rust stuff. I think she's still out of town until Monday.

- Roy

Roy,

It did get easier after everything was done today.  I banged on the one side really hard with the hammer a few times again.   :P

Thanks for saying you will get that name of the rust stuff from your mother.  I probably will need it the next time the BS rusts. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #861 on: May 09, 2015, 05:10:42 PM »
It was a journey to to fix the Blackstone, but at least it works now.  I even named the BS and that ain't no BS.  Had a couple of Othercellos to celebrate.  Sorry for the painted fingers but I forgot to put the gloves on when using the second can of paint.  I had to run to the hardware store to get another can.  I didn't think the BS was so rusty but it was.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #862 on: May 09, 2015, 05:14:32 PM »
Norma

Offline caymus

« Reply #863 on: May 09, 2015, 07:05:28 PM »
Since I am not a mechanic, and don't really know what I am doing,  I was trying to get the Blackstone in shape this morning so the dome would fit over the body.  I am not sure how good the ratchet strap method worked since the front of the BS isn't round.  It seemed to pulled the front sides in and then there was a bigger gap in the back.  The hammer method seemed to work best.  At least the dome does fit now, but is still tight and I had to use a hammer on the one side where it was bowed before.

I wanted to ask if anyone has any addition ideas.  If not then I will use a hammer each time the dome is taken off and put back on.  :-D I am going to start sanding and wire brushing the rust off before the paint job.

Norma

Norma

How often do you need to take the dome off?  I don't think I ever removed mine.

Thanks

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #864 on: May 09, 2015, 10:05:07 PM »
Norma

How often do you need to take the dome off?  I don't think I ever removed mine.

Thanks

caymus,

I have taken the dome off many times.  I took the BS to market for an event one time and when I went to Steve's (Ev) home and most of the BS was taken apart.  The dome is taken off when checking on the bearing mod and when putting the chauflector in.  When I put the firebricks in instead of the stones the dome is taken off. 

Norma

Offline Simple Man

• Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow
« Reply #865 on: May 10, 2015, 07:15:11 AM »
Norma,

Great job on refurbishing your BS! I love how you have now given her a name.

May I ask what you are using to raise the bottom stone so high off the steel platter? Does that amount of space help to maintain a more even stone temp?
Dave

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #866 on: May 10, 2015, 08:00:55 AM »
Norma, nice work.  I would keep ratcheting it in a few more clicks because it will spring back a little when you take off the strap.  Also, now is a good time to take apart the burner, the one bolt in the top of the burner comes out, and lift out the burner insert and brush out any rust on the underside, then put it back together. The rust will keep the flame from getting full height

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #867 on: May 10, 2015, 08:06:42 AM »
Norma,

Great job on refurbishing your BS! I love how you have now given her a name.

May I ask what you are using to raise the bottom stone so high off the steel platter? Does that amount of space help to maintain a more even stone temp?

Dave,

Thanks!  Yesterday I had thought of calling the BS the red-headed devil >:D because it took so long to get finished and when the BS was purchased I didn't think about sanding and painting.

The stone I had on in the photos is not the original one that came with the BS.  It is the pizza stone I use in my home oven.  Other than that the bearing mod makes the steel platter a little higher.  I am not sure if the little extra amount of space helps to maintain a more even stone temperature.  The reason I am trying the other pizza stone and the firebricks is to get rid of the darker ring that appears sometimes on the bottom outer crust.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #868 on: May 10, 2015, 08:11:40 AM »
Norma, nice work.  I would keep ratcheting it in a few more clicks because it will spring back a little when you take off the strap.  Also, now is a good time to take apart the burner, the one bolt in the top of the burner comes out, and lift out the burner insert and brush out any rust on the underside, then put it back together. The rust will keep the flame from getting full height

Barry,

Thanks!  I don't know if I am not strong enough but could not get the strap tighter.  I will try again before the BS is used.  Your idea is good to take the burner apart.  Thanks for telling me the rust will keep the flame from getting to the full height.  I have to get the propane tank filled before any pizzas are made.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #869 on: May 10, 2015, 08:34:07 AM »

I wanted to ask if anyone has any addition ideas.  If not then I will use a hammer each time the dome is taken off and put back on.
Norma

Hold a piece of wood against any spot that you want to hit with the hammer....strike the wood(instead of the grill directly) and you won't put hammer marks/dents in the Hot Momma. 
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #870 on: May 10, 2015, 08:50:04 AM »
  Hold a piece of wood against any spot that you want to hit with the hammer....strike the wood(instead of the grill directly) and you won't put hammer marks/dents in the Hot Momma.

Thanks Bob about using wood instead of just the hammer!   8)

Norma

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #871 on: May 10, 2015, 09:26:25 AM »
Nice job Norma

Lots of good advice by forum members.  A few comments.  If/when you next winch the oven body to fit the lid, I think you will find it helpful to locate the ratchet mechanism in the front (the air gap between the two sides).  As Barry said, expect some spring back after you release the ratchet.  The suggested process is tighten the cable until the lid fits, then a little more – say 1/4” clearance on each side sides of the oven lid – then release the strap.  You may have to repeat that a few times with increasing the clearance to get the final proper fit.

A little bbq paint from time to time should keep the oven running for years.

Love the sticker.

Happy Mother’s Day

Dave

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #872 on: May 10, 2015, 11:04:03 AM »
Nice job Norma

Lots of good advice by forum members.  A few comments.  If/when you next winch the oven body to fit the lid, I think you will find it helpful to locate the ratchet mechanism in the front (the air gap between the two sides).  As Barry said, expect some spring back after you release the ratchet.  The suggested process is tighten the cable until the lid fits, then a little more – say 1/4” clearance on each side sides of the oven lid – then release the strap.  You may have to repeat that a few times with increasing the clearance to get the final proper fit.

A little bbq paint from time to time should keep the oven running for years.

Love the sticker.

Happy Mother’s Day

Dave

Dave,

Thanks!  I appreciate all the excellent advise that was given by forum members.  I will locate the ratchet strap in the front the next time.  I wasn't sure where to locate the ratchet mechanism the last time.  I can understand how there would be some spring back when the ratchet is released. 

I plan on getting some more bbq paint.  I don't want the BS to get as rusty as before.

Paint markers were used to put the name on the BS.  I had the paint markers from a sign that was made for market this past week. 

Thanks for the happy Mother's Day wish.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #873 on: May 16, 2015, 07:41:09 PM »
There was a dough mixed yesterday with GM Bread flour and Spelt.  The hydration was 70% and the other ingredients were real salt, organic agave nectar and Central Milling malt.  The dough needed different stretch and folds over an hour and a half.  I wasn't sure what the malt and organic agave nectar would do in the bake when baking at a higher temperature.  The dough opened easily.  I really enjoyed the pizza.  The bottom crust was crispy and didn't burn.  A little baby basil from my garden was put on the pie after the bake.  I wasn't sure if I would like the baby basil but it is good.

This is only a short video of part of the bake.  During the first minute of the bake a larger bubble appeared and that bubble was broken.  That is the part of rim crust that doesn't have as much oven spring.  One Hot Mama performed well today.  :P  My smaller scale broke when trying to weight the malt.  At least only a little over 1 gram of malt was needed so I could use my other scale.

Thanks so much to everyone that helped me get the BS up and running again!   ;D

Norma

Edit:  I don't know why the video won't post.  :-\
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 07:46:30 PM by norma427 »

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #874 on: May 16, 2015, 07:45:36 PM »
Nice pie Norma! :chef:  Gotta love the high heat/high hydration!

What is "real salt"?

Paul

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #875 on: May 16, 2015, 07:52:04 PM »
Nice pie Norma! :chef:  Gotta love the high heat/high hydration!

What is "real salt"?

Paul

Lol Paul!  You didn't even see the pie yet.  What if you thought it looked bad?  :-D  I agree it is nice to be able to have higher heat and a higher hydration. 

This is a photo of what the real salt looks like.

Norma

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #876 on: May 16, 2015, 07:54:49 PM »
Lol Paul!  You didn't even see the pie yet.  What if you thought it looked bad?

This is a photo of what the real salt looks like.

Norma

I could tell it would be great, Norma!

So, sea salt?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #877 on: May 16, 2015, 07:56:20 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #878 on: May 16, 2015, 07:57:57 PM »
I could tell it would be great, Norma!

So, sea salt?

Thanks Paul!  This is the link to what real salt is.  http://www.realsalt.com/

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #879 on: May 16, 2015, 08:00:21 PM »
Norma

wordpress