A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's  (Read 223909 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Re: Getting the Blackstone oven from Cabela's
« Reply #640 on: June 15, 2014, 06:24:41 PM »
I made another De Lorenzo's tomato pie clone attempt late this afternoon using Peter's #6 clone dough formulation at Reply 745 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25401.msg281529#msg281529  I can say the dough handled/looked like what I saw when I was at De Lorenzo's in Robbinsville.  The dough ball was pounded on and it quickly opened when draping the dough skin over the table edge and sliding it around.  The dough skin could be manipulated like in Reply 1027 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25401.msg319453#msg319453 

I should have added some more of the Red Pack/6-in-1s when I dressed the pizza (I did have more prepared).  In the end though I thought I was really eating a De Lorenzo's tomato pie.  It made me happy that I can finally make a De Lorenzo's clone that I like.  ;D The bottom crust was crispy across the whole bottom crust and the crust was very easy to eat.

Thanks Peter for all of your hard work on the De Lorenzo's clone dough!  :chef: :pizza:

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #641 on: June 15, 2014, 06:29:49 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #642 on: June 15, 2014, 06:32:51 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #643 on: June 15, 2014, 06:33:38 PM »
Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #644 on: June 15, 2014, 08:25:47 PM »
Norma doing the party cut??  The world will never be the same!  ;D

That's really great that you can now make/eat a Delorenzo pie whenever you want Norma. Congratulations!  :chef:

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #645 on: June 15, 2014, 08:41:07 PM »
Norma,

I'm glad the #6 De Lorenzo clone dough formulation worked out for you. However, it would be nice to learn someday whether we were close to what De Lorenzo actually does.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #646 on: June 15, 2014, 10:18:33 PM »
Norma doing the party cut??  The world will never be the same!  ;D

That's really great that you can now make/eat a Delorenzo pie whenever you want Norma. Congratulations!  :chef:

Bob

Bob,

Lol, I did the party cut before when I made some attempts at thin Chicago pies.  I guess that is strange though that De Lorenzo's does a party cut in NJ. 

Thanks!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #647 on: June 15, 2014, 10:29:46 PM »
Norma,

I'm glad the #6 De Lorenzo clone dough formulation worked out for you. However, it would be nice to learn someday whether we were close to what De Lorenzo actually does.

Peter

Peter,

I was glad your #6 De Lorenzo clone dough formulation worked out for me too.  I had made different attempts that were not right in one way or another.  I agree that it would be nice to learn someday whether we were close or to what De Lorenzo actually does.  At least the dough handled like the dough at De Lorenzo.  I think the BS helped too.

I forgot to mention that the dough was mixed this morning and I was going to add more IDY then you had called for in your formulation.  I looked in the freezer and someone must have thrown my IDY away or hid it behind other things.  I was not going to empty the freezer to look for the IDY because it was packed full.  I had ADY in the fridge so I used that instead of the IDY.  The dough was left to room temperature ferment.  That worked out well.  I thought the crust tasted great.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #648 on: June 16, 2014, 09:38:26 AM »
I forgot to mention that the dough was mixed this morning and I was going to add more IDY then you had called for in your formulation.  I looked in the freezer and someone must have thrown my IDY away or hid it behind other things.  I was not going to empty the freezer to look for the IDY because it was packed full.  I had ADY in the fridge so I used that instead of the IDY.  The dough was left to room temperature ferment.  That worked out well.  I thought the crust tasted great.

Norma
Norma,

Did you use more of the ADY than was specified for the IDY and did you prehydrate the ADY?

As you know, I demonstrated that it was possible to come up with a De Lorenzo clone dough and skin that had exceptional handling qualities without any yeast, as I discussed at Reply 850 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25401.msg283298#msg283298. So, yeast seemed to have played a lesser role that I had expected.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #649 on: June 16, 2014, 10:45:32 AM »
Norma,

Did you use more of the ADY than was specified for the IDY and did you prehydrate the ADY?

As you know, I demonstrated that it was possible to come up with a De Lorenzo clone dough and skin that had exceptional handling qualities without any yeast, as I discussed at Reply 850 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25401.msg283298#msg283298. So, yeast seemed to have played a lesser role that I had expected.

Peter

Peter,

I did use more ADY than was specified.  I used a little more than double the amount of ADY, compared to the 0.22 grams of IDY, which was called for in your formulation.  I did prehydrate the ADY in all of the formula water (which I should have not done).  I also added a pinch of sugar.  I think I was lucky that worked as well as it did because that was just a guess of what to do.  I did put the dough ball in the refrigerator for about 1 hrs. because it looked fermented enough and I did not want bubbles to form in the dough skin.  In the end there were no bubbles in the dough skin even though the dough ball looked fermented well.

Sorry to this but I completely forgot about your yeast-free De Lorenzo/Robbinsville clone dough.  I even forgot that you made 22 test dough balls as you posted at Reply 854 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25401.msg283309#msg283309 That sure was a lot of test dough balls.  :o The summary you gave in the last paragraph at Reply 866 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25401.msg283461#msg283461 is very interesting after I read it again.  I think the problem for me when so many things are tried in one thread it is hard for me to remember all what was tried unless I reread the whole thread.

I also wanted to mention that while using the flat beater the mixer bowl shifted off of the 2 attachments 3 times.  It was like that dough wanted to rock and roll.  :-D

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #650 on: June 16, 2014, 12:41:12 PM »
Norma,

Can you tell me what flour you used?

Peter

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #651 on: June 16, 2014, 03:29:20 PM »
Norma,
Nice pictures.  You are an inspiration.
Dave

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #652 on: June 16, 2014, 05:43:14 PM »
Norma,

Can you tell me what flour you used?

Peter

Peter,

I used the Pillsbury Patent 4X flour.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #653 on: June 16, 2014, 05:44:24 PM »
Norma,
Nice pictures.  You are an inspiration.
Dave

Thanks Dave! 

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #654 on: June 16, 2014, 06:06:08 PM »
I used the Pillsbury Patent 4X flour.

Norma
Norma,

Is this the flour?:

http://www.generalmillsfoodservice.com/services/productpdf.ashx?pid=132942000

If so, its protein content is a bit below that for the Pillsbury Best Bakers Patent flour as shown in the specs at http://www.generalmillsfoodservice.com/services/productpdf.ashx?pid=133054000.

Comparing the specs for the two flours, it appears that there is more potassium bromate in the Pillsbury Best Bakers flour than in the Pillsbury XXXX flour.

I forgot to ask you earlier, but did you use one of the dough calculating tools to come up with the entire dough formulation you used, or did you use the original dough formulation that you referenced and just changed the amount and type of yeast (and added a pinch of yeast when prehydrating the ADY)?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #655 on: June 16, 2014, 07:08:23 PM »
Norma,

Is this the flour?:

http://www.generalmillsfoodservice.com/services/productpdf.ashx?pid=132942000

If so, its protein content is a bit below that for the Pillsbury Best Bakers Patent flour as shown in the specs at http://www.generalmillsfoodservice.com/services/productpdf.ashx?pid=133054000.

Comparing the specs for the two flours, it appears that there is more potassium bromate in the Pillsbury Best Bakers flour than in the Pillsbury XXXX flour.

I forgot to ask you earlier, but did you use one of the dough calculating tools to come up with the entire dough formulation you used, or did you use the original dough formulation that you referenced and just changed the amount and type of yeast (and added a pinch of yeast when prehydrating the ADY)?

Peter

Peter,

I think that is the right flour in your first link.  I thought I had posted a photo of the flour bag somewhere here on the forum but I can't seem to find it right now.  Joe Kelley sent me the 50 lb. bag to try.

Am I using the right flour?

I don't know if you recall what Tom Santos told me at Reply 57 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25251.msg255788#msg255788

I did not use one of the dough calculating tools to come up with the entire dough formulation.  I used your original dough formulation I referenced.  I added just a pinch of sugar to the water and ADY.  I posted that I had prehydrated the ADY in the entire formula water.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #656 on: June 16, 2014, 08:23:03 PM »
Norma,

The reason why I have been cross-examining you is because the changes you made altered the original dough formulation as given at Reply 745 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25401.msg281529#msg281529 by increasing the total dough ball weight to 287.97 grams, or 10.16 ounces. Fortunately, the changes did not alter the amounts of the rest of the ingredients (they got lost in the rounding of the numbers in the expanded dough calculating tool), and the changes did not materially change the thickness factor (it went from 0.065 to 0.0664), as you can see from the following revised dough formulation:

Pillsbury XXXX Flour (100%):
Water (56%):
ADY (0.24%):
Salt (1.50%):
Olive Oil (0.20%):
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (0.80%):
Total (158.74%):
181.41 g  |  6.4 oz | 0.4 lbs
101.59 g  |  3.58 oz | 0.22 lbs
0.44 g | 0.02 oz | 0 lbs | 0.12 tsp | 0.04 tbsp
2.72 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.49 tsp | 0.16 tbsp
0.36 g | 0.01 oz | 0 lbs | 0.08 tsp | 0.03 tbsp
1.45 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.32 tsp | 0.11 tbsp
287.97 g | 10.16 oz | 0.63 lbs | TF = N/A
Note: No bowl residue compensation; thickness factor = 0.0664; to the above, add 1/16 teaspoon (a pinch) of sugar for use while prehydrating the ADY.

I neglected to ask you if you scaled the final dough to 10 ounces. I also did not ask you what kind of salt you used.

I don't see any reason why you can't use the Pillsbury XXXX flour. Its rated absorption value might be a bit lower than for the Pillsbury Best Bakers Patent flour but I wouldn't expect it to be materially different. I just wanted to show the effects of the changes you made to the dough formulation set forth in Reply 745 referenced above in case others decide to use the dough formulation as you modified it to achieve the particular results you achieved.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #657 on: June 16, 2014, 09:16:49 PM »
Norma,

The reason why I have been cross-examining you is because the changes you made altered the original dough formulation as given at Reply 745 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25401.msg281529#msg281529 by increasing the total dough ball weight to 287.97 grams, or 10.16 ounces. Fortunately, the changes did not alter the amounts of the rest of the ingredients (they got lost in the rounding of the numbers in the expanded dough calculating tool), and the changes did not materially change the thickness factor (it went from 0.065 to 0.0664), as you can see from the following revised dough formulation:

Pillsbury XXXX Flour (100%):
Water (56%):
ADY (0.24%):
Salt (1.50%):
Olive Oil (0.20%):
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (0.80%):
Total (158.74%):
181.41 g  |  6.4 oz | 0.4 lbs
101.59 g  |  3.58 oz | 0.22 lbs
0.44 g | 0.02 oz | 0 lbs | 0.12 tsp | 0.04 tbsp
2.72 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.49 tsp | 0.16 tbsp
0.36 g | 0.01 oz | 0 lbs | 0.08 tsp | 0.03 tbsp
1.45 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.32 tsp | 0.11 tbsp
287.97 g | 10.16 oz | 0.63 lbs | TF = N/A
Note: No bowl residue compensation; thickness factor = 0.0664; to the above, add 1/16 teaspoon (a pinch) of sugar for use while prehydrating the ADY.

I neglected to ask you if you scaled the final dough to 10 ounces. I also did not ask you what kind of salt you used.

I don't see any reason why you can't use the Pillsbury XXXX flour. Its rated absorption value might be a bit lower than for the Pillsbury Best Bakers Patent flour but I wouldn't expect it to be materially different. I just wanted to show the effects of the changes you made to the dough formulation set forth in Reply 745 referenced above in case others decide to use the dough formulation as you modified it to achieve the particular results you achieved.

Peter

Peter,

Lol, I was wondering why you were cross-examining me.  I know you are very precise in everything you do.  I should have figured out what was up.  If I would have found my IDY yesterday, that would have saved you from having to do the calculations to be able to give a revised dough formulation.  I did not scale the dough ball to 10 ounces.  I used regular salt.

When I try your formulation at Reply 745 again I will make sure I have some IDY at home.

Thanks for showing me the effects of what I did.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #658 on: June 16, 2014, 09:39:27 PM »
When I try your formulation at Reply 745 again I will make sure I have some IDY at home.

Norma
Norma,

If you plan to use the same procedures to achieve a same day dough at room temperature again, you will want to keep in mind that you will have to increase the amount of IDY from what is shown in Reply 745. To achieve the same results as you did with the ADY, I believe that you may need 0.18% IDY, not 0.12%.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #659 on: June 16, 2014, 10:14:30 PM »
Norma,

If you plan to use the same procedures to achieve a same day dough at room temperature again, you will want to keep in mind that you will have to increase the amount of IDY from what is shown in Reply 745. To achieve the same results as you did with the ADY, I believe that you may need 0.18% IDY, not 0.12%.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for telling me if I plan to make a same day dough at room temperature again how much IDY I might need to add.  That is helpful to know. 

I had wanted to make the dough from your formulation and do exactly what you posted.  My daughter had asked me to go away with her and when I returned home I was too tired to make any dough.

Life gets in the way sometimes on what is originally planned. 

Norma 

wordpress