Author Topic: Inexpensive, lightweight WFO  (Read 472 times)

Offline thedaniel

• I Love Pizza!
Inexpensive, lightweight WFO
« on: October 17, 2016, 09:26:12 PM »
Hi all,
I'm researching my first pizza oven build and am attempting to make it lightweight and under $300 for the build. In general, it seems like all that's needed is a well insulated container with good airflow that can withstand temperatures up to 700-900F.

Going with a base of 2.5" firebricks, I was looking to create an air-hangar style design with a front chimney. The hangar would be insulated with 2" ceramic fiber blanket. The interior and exterior of the hangar would be some kind of sheet metal, possibly steel or aluminum. The back would be the same, and the front would have a door most likely with hinges on the bottom so it swings down as opposed to the side. The door will have a controllable vent to control airflow and monitor temperature.

Does this design work, or is an igloo dome required for specific airflow and temperature trapping? So far, it looks like this can be build for under 300 easy and just needs a stand. The heaviest component is the firebrick.

Thoughts?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Inexpensive, lightweight WFO
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 09:40:56 PM »
A couple thoughts:

- you need to use stainless steel for the construction. Aluminium can't take that kind of heat and carbon steel will rust like crazy.
- you don't need a chimney and probably don't want one.
- you need to reduce the size of the opening (dropping down from the top maybe 5-6" or so)  such that you trap a layer of hot air in the top part of the oven. This is why you don't want a chimney - at least not as you have it designed - you don't want it sucking hot air straight out of the dome. In any case, you don't need a chimney on an oven like that (assuming you aren't going to operate it indoors.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline thedaniel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 09:59:15 PM »
Thanks for the notes, Craig! I'd definitely seal the top half of the front to trap air.Do you think it'd be ideal to have a small chimney that acts more like a heat vent to allow for better control? I'm wondering what would happen without a chimney...

Also, any idea how this thing might cook?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 10:02:34 PM by thedaniel »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 10:20:05 PM »
If you are not worried about the front of an outdoor oven getting black, you don't need a chimney. That's the only purpose it serves. You don't want one in the main dome in any scenario.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline thedaniel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 10:38:25 PM »
Not really worried about it I suppose...

Going even further with simplicity and cost...what if it was a square case with 2" ceramic fiber blanket insulation, stainless steel, and had a sliding door with vents on the bottom half? You could slide in a cheap pizza stone and forget the firebricks altogether since the box would retain all the heat.

Example: https://media.giphy.com/media/BiSTqBiXnywXS/giphy.gif

Offline Davydd

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 11:35:51 PM »
You are almost describing duplicating a Pizza Party 70 x 70 discussed a lot here. Of course, one of those can't be had for under $300.  :)
Davydd

Offline thedaniel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 11:56:10 PM »
The hangar design was inspired by the pizza party oven! I've done some digging on this site already ;)

A few more thoughts:
- Could the bottom be a composite of split firebricks (1.5") and a layer of 2" ceramic fiber blanket (sandwiched between two layers of steel) to reduce overall weight and cost?
- Does the shape of a box vs a dome affect air, fire control, etc?

I'm warming up to this sub-$300 pizza party oven challenge :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:21:12 AM by thedaniel »

Offline MartyE

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 09:39:57 PM »
I'm warming up to this sub-$300 pizza party oven challenge :)
I case you haven't see these posts, here are some details on the pizza party internals.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31234.msg310899#msg310899
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31234.msg326319#msg326319

Offline thedaniel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 03:40:58 PM »
Thanks for the details Marty! I've reached out to a local welder to get costs for the steel shell. I'll post once I get further with the project.

Offline sub

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 04:39:34 PM »
you need to reduce the size of the opening (dropping down from the top maybe 5-6" or so)  such that you trap a layer of hot air in the top part of the oven

I agree with Craig, front wide open is not a good idea, the oven will not get hot enough.

look at those two:

Costruzione di un forno in acciaio

Il mio forno... da un bidone!

Offline thedaniel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 07:00:29 PM »
Alright, I've revised the oven design based on some feedback. My changes are below:

- no chimney. I can create sliding vent on the front of the top if needed to control heat
- it wasn't clear in the original image, but the new design shows what I inteded: a front face with a smaller opening for the door
- door may be set in manually or be on a hinge, or be on a slider. Not sure yet. Door will be fabricated in the same manner, or possibly be cast iron.
- going with 2" ceramic fiber on the bottom with 1.5" split firebricks. This will lighten the weight and reduce costs while maintaining overall insulation. I think.
- A hexagonal shape may do the trick. It should be easier to construct and makes material cutting a lot easier. That said, I'm waiting on feedback and quotes from the welding shops.