A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Secrets and Pearls  (Read 30790 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Pizza Secrets and Pearls
« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2019, 06:57:08 AM »
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 12:21:04 PM by TXCraig1 »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2019, 08:01:03 AM »
 :-D :-D :-D

THANKS for proving the point! 

:-D :-D :-D

65) Pizza chauvinism says more about the person than the pizza.

Seriously, though, the DD hate is comical.  It's like the pathetic White Sox fans who trash talk the Cubs.  The hate only flows one way.  Chicagoans are more accepting of ALL types of pizza than the narrow minded folks found in many other places.  I guess that's because we have three indigenous styles of pizza and have always been open minded and just look for high quality pizza, lovingly made.  It doesn't have to be my preferred style: it just has to be good. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:22:12 AM by Garvey »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2019, 08:13:19 AM »
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 10:54:28 AM by TXCraig1 »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2019, 08:22:59 AM »
Pure class from the guy calling other people jerks.

I took that down before you posted.  Must have had a non-refreshed window.  Sorry.

And FWIW, I called NO ONE a jerk in my earlier post.  You basically called yourself out.  Nowhere in this thread had anyone addressed the topic of DD before I did.  Go back and read it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:24:48 AM by Garvey »

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2019, 03:17:55 AM »
66)    "pizza is easy, we shouldn't be complicating it".

"That's very true provided that the pizza you try to make and your expectations for it are commensurate with your skill and experience level and that you have adequate equipment for the job"

(reply 25 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=57613.msg578701#msg578701)
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2019, 05:17:32 PM »
I wanna say something too man!!   :pizza:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2019, 07:10:13 PM »
15. Don't buy Caputo or other '00' flour unless you can explain why you need it.
I agree.
I'm using $1/kg plain white flour from the local Aldi supermarket. The difference in a side by side test against an Italian typo 00 is certainly detectable, but I can still make a 60-90 second Margherita that doesn't burn, and is fairly light and tender.
i.e. without having traveled to Naples and tried the real deal, I can't find a reason at my skill level to justify having to search for typo 00 and pay 4 times the price for it.

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2019, 07:24:57 PM »

What's the deal with these articles and videos on the interwebs telling people to season their stone by rubbing it down in oil and then baking it at 450-500° or whatever like you would a pan?
Most of the stones I have seen seem a touch porous, and I'm damn sure my brick floor in my oven is. Not sure I've ever seen a cordierite stone but my sandstone one certainly is porous. I would think oiling it would ruin the performance by making it less porous.

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2019, 07:40:14 PM »
#67 - If you want your pizza to be a perfect circle, you'll have to go to Domino's
#68 - Once you understand what a pizza really is, and how it should be cooked, you can adapt to cooking a pizza in just about anything that gets hot.
May not be your favourite style, but you can always cook something acceptable if you know your stuff. Remember the old saying, "It's a poor tradesman who blames his tools"?

wordpress