A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 501790 times)

Offline goosta

• Supporting Member
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #2260 on: November 30, 2017, 03:54:45 PM »
Thanks for posting this Norma! I've never been to Manco & Manco (or NJ for that matter), but this looks like so much fun, so I ordered a Faux Dough and ornament.  ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2261 on: November 30, 2017, 08:56:42 PM »
Thanks for posting this Norma! I've never been to Manco & Manco (or NJ for that matter), but this looks like so much fun, so I ordered a Faux Dough and ornament.  ;D

Anytime goosta,

Let us know if you learn to spin dough with the Faux Dough!  ;D It says to wet it with water and then wring it out. 

Norma

Online MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2262 on: December 03, 2017, 12:51:32 PM »
So fixing to give this a whirl next weekend. If I'm looking to make 14 inch pies vs Pete's 18 and Norma's 16, does anyone know the formula to knock it down those couple inches?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2263 on: December 03, 2017, 04:39:23 PM »
So fixing to give this a whirl next weekend. If I'm looking to make 14 inch pies vs Pete's 18 and Norma's 16, does anyone know the formula to knock it down those couple inches?

MR,

Use the Lehmann Pizza Dough Calculator at

https://www.pizzamaking.com/dough-calculator.html

Or the Expanded Dough Calculating Tool at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded-calculator.html

Enter the size of the pizza at 14

Used the same TF and the percentages of all of the other ingredients.  Also enter how many 14 dough balls you want. If you want a bowl residue compensation also put that percentage in.   If you only want to make one dough that is okay.  Either of those dough calculating tools will figure everything else for you.

Norma

Online MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2264 on: December 03, 2017, 07:33:54 PM »
Thanks, Norma!

Lastly, what temperature do you recommend to keep the cheese in tact? And do you advise all cheddar or a blend??
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 10:16:57 PM by MisterPKM »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2265 on: December 04, 2017, 12:54:45 AM »
Thanks, Norma!

Lastly, what temperature do you recommend to keep the cheese in tact? And do you advise all cheddar or a blend??

MisterPKM,

I use a temperature about 550 degrees F.  I would advise Cracker Barrel Vermont Sharp Cheddar.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cracker-Barrel-Vermont-Sharp-White-Cheese-8-oz/20550648

Norma

Online MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2266 on: December 08, 2017, 08:19:17 AM »
Update: Made the dough ball last night and checked on it this morning and it's rather dense. I'm not used to formulas with this hydration, so was wondering if I did something wrong. Will update later today.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2267 on: December 08, 2017, 10:32:20 AM »
Update: Made the dough ball last night and checked on it this morning and it's rather dense. I'm not used to formulas with this hydration, so was wondering if I did something wrong. Will update later today.

MR,

The dough does feel a little dense because of the lower hydration.  If you watched any of Mack's videos you can see how it it pounded out first before the tossing and twirling.  If you can post a photo of the dough so we can see what it looks like that might be helpful.  If you plan on making the pizza tomorrow the dough might loosen up a bit from fermenting some more, and also loosen up a bit more during the warm-up.

Norma

Online MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2268 on: December 09, 2017, 10:22:23 AM »
Going to have to tackle this one again. Taste was there, but ball was hard to roll out and had trouble getting it off the peel due to some sauce spillage. (Any recommendations of an at home peel?)

Thanks for all the guidance. Will get it right!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2269 on: December 09, 2017, 11:05:46 AM »
Going to have to tackle this one again. Taste was there, but ball was hard to roll out and had trouble getting it off the peel due to some sauce spillage. (Any recommendations of an at home peel?)

Thanks for all the guidance. Will get it right!

MR,

Sorry to hear you will have to tackle this one again.  Did you have to roll out the dough after the warm-up?  Couldn't you open it by pressing on the dough a lot and then gently opening into a full size skin?  If you don't know how to toss a dough like this then opening gently after pressing can work.

What kind of pizza peels do you have?  Usually a pizza like this style is put onto a wooden peel, then dressed and put onto a pizza stone with a wooden peel, then rotated with a metal peel, then taken out of the oven with a metal peel. 

Norma

Online MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2270 on: December 09, 2017, 01:00:19 PM »
Thanks Norma!

I let it warm up for about 1 hour 45 minutes, 2 hours. Warm up is relative as the kitchen was a little chilly when I started. I pressed it out into a disk, then gently stretched it from there.

I think I may have over mixed when putting the dough together. I think I may just bring everything together gently next time until and let it sit longer. I did the method described earlier in this thread with the 3 attachments on the mixer. For a dry dough like this, perhaps minimal handling is best. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2271 on: December 09, 2017, 05:09:35 PM »
Thanks Norma!

I let it warm up for about 1 hour 45 minutes, 2 hours. Warm up is relative as the kitchen was a little chilly when I started. I pressed it out into a disk, then gently stretched it from there.

I think I may have over mixed when putting the dough together. I think I may just bring everything together gently next time until and let it sit longer. I did the method described earlier in this thread with the 3 attachments on the mixer. For a dry dough like this, perhaps minimal handling is best.

MR,

How long did you mix in total minutes if you recall the amount of time it took?

Maybe this video will show you how to open a Mack's clone dough.  As you can see it looks hard to open.  As you can see the dough is pressed on a lot before the dough is tossed and twirled. 

Another good video to watch how the piemen at Mack's open their doughs and dress the pizzas.

Norma

Offline NepaBill

« Reply #2272 on: Yesterday at 07:48:51 AM »
Just curious..  Did you put the sauce on the bottom of the pizza, or on after cheese?  I live in Northeast PA..  Lots of Grotto's and similar style pizza places around me..  I have noticed that they put the sauce on last..  We refer to it as "Bulls-eye" pizza..  Looks like a dart board..  I have been playing with Gangi Bros concentrate, which I believe to be the base for this style pizza, and see the trick is getting the "slump" just right on the sauce..  If it's too thick, it never spreads when cooked..  If it's too thin, you have soup pizza..  i stumbled on this thread looking for inspiration for my sauce..  Love this site!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2273 on: Today at 02:06:13 PM »
Just curious..  Did you put the sauce on the bottom of the pizza, or on after cheese?  I live in Northeast PA..  Lots of Grotto's and similar style pizza places around me..  I have noticed that they put the sauce on last..  We refer to it as "Bulls-eye" pizza..  Looks like a dart board..  I have been playing with Gangi Bros concentrate, which I believe to be the base for this style pizza, and see the trick is getting the "slump" just right on the sauce..  If it's too thick, it never spreads when cooked..  If it's too thin, you have soup pizza..  i stumbled on this thread looking for inspiration for my sauce..  Love this site!

NepaBill,

I put the sauce in the middle like Mack's Pizza.  First put a layer of cheddar down first than a swirl of sauce and then more cheddar.  If you would like me to link a video for you I can.   I think Manco & Manco now puts the spiral of sauce down last and not another layber of cheese.  Gagni is the sauce that Mack's uses as far as I know. 

Norma