A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Secrets and Pearls  (Read 14315 times)

Offline rpmfla

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza Secrets and Pearls
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2017, 11:52:51 AM »
salt

I never thought much about salt other than as a flavor component but forgetting to add it recently taught me something important. When I went to my usual method of using gravity to stretch the dough, the saltless batch simply drooped down from my hands to the bench below with zero resistance. There was no elasticity at all. The pizza ended up working ok as I quickly gathered it and flipped it onto the peel (I added additional salt to the toppings too). So what I learned was: Too much salt can make a dough too elastic and hard to spread (less extensible). Too little salt and there is less elasticity and it is too extensible.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:55:31 AM by rpmfla »

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2017, 11:57:37 AM »

43 - When using a food processor, remove the blade before removing dough

How is that even possible? The dough is smothered over the blade. Incidentally, I always dump the bowl out onto the counter so blade and dough ball fall out together. Is that what he meant? Must be 🤔

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2017, 02:27:08 PM »
I can't recalll. In fact, I don't quite remember if I cut myself making pizza dough or something else in there...but I don't use it for dough often. You do, however, raise a good point. Though my dough amount may be far less than yours...I seem to recall there was a ball that had formed and that maybe the blade wasn't embedded in it? Hmmm...Oh well, be careful!

wordpress