A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Baker's yeast quantity prediction model - please compare to your results  (Read 177412 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Why ice water?

I don't remember exactly why I started doing it that way. Been doing it for as long as I can remember. I was probably trying to end up with a dough that was near the low-60's fermentation temp.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline pizzainthe6ix

• I Love Pizza!
That doesn't seem right.  If you just have the cold water facuet position open, the cold water temp should drop the longer you run it.  When you start out running the cold water you'll get water from the smaller lines in the house, then water from the buried main in the street will reach your faucet.  I doubt the water in the buried street main is at 110F.  Perhaps your faucet is inadvertently mixing hot and cold water when you put it in a certain position.
Potentially.  Neither here or there, I just adjust it to what I want my final dough temp to be

Offline pizzainthe6ix

• I Love Pizza!
I don't remember exactly why I started doing it that way. Been doing it for as long as I can remember. I was probably trying to end up with a dough that was near the low-60's fermentation temp.
Maybe this way it would end up lower than the temperature you are proofing at?  Why do you sue 7XF with IDY?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
Why do you sue 7XF with IDY?

Because it's easier.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline pizzainthe6ix

• I Love Pizza!
Does anyone know if I can use this for bagels? It seems to work out but I was curious if anyone else had tried it.

I found what seems to be a nice recipe, but I want to adapt with a poolish, longer ferment and CY.

Some recipes below:
A King Arthur Recipe calls for 1.6% ADY for a 2hr RT ferment
Another recipe calls for a 2hr RT bulk ferment and another 8-12hr bulk cold ferment using .36% IDY (they say dry instant yeast)

I have Ken Forkish's bread book that makes a white bread with a Poolish that uses .34% of IDY (where 11% is in the Poolish, the rest in final dough).  This is a 3hr RT bulk ferment, 1hr RT when shaped.

The Ken Forkish recipe and the others are pretty similar RT fermentations so does putting it in the fridge really stop the fermentation 100% where it can take the 8-12hrs?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:48:32 PM by pizzainthe6ix »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
I don't think this would be a good reference for bread which usually is a very different fermentation workflow. I think as a general rule, bread would need more yeast for a similar time ready-to-bake because of the punch downs and multiple rises.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:09:25 PM by TXCraig1 »

Offline pizzainthe6ix

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Baker's yeast quantity prediction model - please compare to your results
« Reply #486 on: August 16, 2019, 09:36:18 AM »
Just finished one of my best ferments with .040% CY and just under 24hrs:
Mixed Poolish at 9am (with 100% of the total formula yeast) - left outside at 78F
Mixed Final Dough at 9:30pm and let bulk ferment inside around 72F (moved outside to warm up a bit to speed things up)
Divided and balled at 11:30am and fermented inside around 72F
Put in the fridge at 7pm because it looked and felt right
Removed at 8pm
Baked at 8:30pm

The only thing I am confused about is if the time the poolish fermented would be included in the total fermentation time?? ???

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #487 on: August 17, 2019, 09:45:54 AM »
The table wasn't intended to apply to indirect (poolish, biga, etc.) doughs. It may help you find a starting point with them - or it may not - lots of variables.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #488 on: September 26, 2019, 03:19:01 PM »
👍
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #489 on: September 26, 2019, 07:52:54 PM »
The table wasn't intended to apply to indirect (poolish, biga, etc.) doughs. It may help you find a starting point with them - or it may not - lots of variables.

That said, if you want to do some type of preferment (poolish, biga, etc.), try 1/3 of the total yeast in the preferment and add the final 2/3 of the yeast in the final dough.

Offline dmaclaren

« Reply #490 on: November 02, 2019, 08:36:40 AM »
Because it's easier.

what is "7xf"?
Don.

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #491 on: November 02, 2019, 11:05:57 AM »
I always used warm to touch water and found with that it worked best with the chart, but if I used colder water I'd have to add extra yeast

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.