A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Baker's yeast quantity prediction model - please compare to your results  (Read 194674 times)

Offline Zulu202

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Baker's yeast quantity prediction model - please compare to your results
« Reply #500 on: April 19, 2020, 03:26:23 PM »
Did I miss something out when doing the equation? I just multiplied the % at the top of the page with the flour weight. EDIT- I did not divide the percentage by 100 before multiplying with the flour weight. My bad. Thanks again
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 03:34:53 PM by Zulu202 »

Online skan

Hello

How do we need to modify these times or proportions depending on the type of flour? For example is it the same if it has 9% proteins than if it has 15% protein?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Hello

How do we need to modify these times or proportions depending on the type of flour? For example is it the same if it has 9% proteins than if it has 15% protein?

Probably not specifically for that, but some testing and tweaking will likely be necessary based on the sum total differences of your formula and workflow.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online skan

Probably not specifically for that, but some testing and tweaking will likely be necessary based on the sum total differences of your formula and workflow.

But will you need longer fermentation for higher gluten content?

Is there an equation to calculate this table or an Android app?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Is there an equation to calculate this table or an Android app?

No. Higher gluten may tolerate longer fermentation, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's needed.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline thowi

• I Love Pizza!

I believe (haven't tested) that the enzymes in the flour (e.g. "malted") can make a difference.
Enzymes break down starches into sugars, providing more/easier food for the yeast and can speed up fermentation.

With so many variables (yeast strain, flour, hydration, salt, acidity, time, temperature, workflow, ...) it's almost impossible to accurately predict your fermentation.
As Craig says, use the model as a starting point, but do take notes (temp/time/flour/yeast amount) and adjust going forward.

Online skan

Imagine I want to spend 25 hours fermenting my dough using IDY.
My fridge is 45F.  My kitchen is 77F.

Looking at the table I could choose between
- using 0.32%IDY at 45F for 25 hours
or
- using 0.01%IDY at 77F for 25 hours

What is the best option?
Using more yeast could give too much yeasty aftertaste and it's less digestive.
Then I don't understand the advantage of fermenting at low temperature, you can always choose to ferment at high temperature with less yeast instead, isn't it?
What is the dissadvantage of fermeting at higher temperatures?

(I know we don't have to rise the temperature above 40C).

Offline jsaras

Imagine I want to spend 25 hours fermenting my dough using IDY.
My fridge is 45F.  My kitchen is 77F.

Looking at the table I could choose between
- using 0.32%IDY at 45F for 25 hours
or
- using 0.01%IDY at 77F for 25 hours

What is the best option?
Using more yeast could give too much yeasty aftertaste and it's less digestive.
Then I don't understand the advantage of fermenting at low temperature, you can always choose to ferment at high temperature with less yeast instead, isn't it?
What is the dissadvantage of fermeting at higher temperatures?

(I know we don't have to rise the temperature above 40C).

You could probably produce wine in a week, but would you want to drink it?  Generally speaking, fermenting for longer periods of time will produce better results.  Where the sweet spot is for time and temperature is up for debate, but IMO 8 hours at room temp is the entry point to great dough. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online skan

You could probably produce wine in a week, but would you want to drink it?  Generally speaking, fermenting for longer periods of time will produce better results.  Where the sweet spot is for time and temperature is up for debate, but IMO 8 hours at room temp is the entry point to great dough.

That's why I was saying two options with a fixed fermentation time (moderately long, 25 hours), varying temperature vs yeast.

Then what's the advantage of doing a double fermentation instead of just using a low temperature fermentation?

When doing double fermentation is it better to do first the low temperature fermentation or first the high temperature one?

(And related to my other question... I've seen the graphics of yeast activity and it seems than its maximum activity happens at around 85F (30C), I guess it doesn't make sense to use higher temperatures.)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 02:23:49 PM by skan »

Offline brooklynguy

• I Love Pizza!
Hello, is there an excel version of this like the sourdough version! Thx

Offline thowi

• I Love Pizza!
Hello, is there an excel version of this like the sourdough version! Thx

I once copied the data into a Google Spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yOLUHuvG4jionoQ7fP0f-uDO7JrXRwcf0DR7nBss2Pw/edit

Offline brooklynguy

• I Love Pizza!

wordpress