A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Baker's yeast quantity prediction model - please compare to your results  (Read 213344 times)

Offline frankie_knuckles

• Supporting Member
The dough is holding up nicely right now after balling at the 3 hour mark. Here's the recipe:

500g Marino Manitoba Bio (13% protein)
61% Water
2% salt
.052% ADY

Here's the pizza!  It turned out so well considering I balled it later than I was supposed to and had to change plans (park beers for Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day!)
 and started to open up the pizza about an hour earlier than I had made the recipe for.  This was obvious in that the final of the four pizzas opened up and turned out the best.  Thanks Craig. What an excellent chart.  I will definitely try out 24hr and 48hr batches in the next week.

This one had spicy Calabrese,  mushroom, sweety drop peppers (peru) and basil.

Frank
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 05:48:02 PM by frankie_knuckles »

Offline skzbr

• I Love Pizza!
Instructions: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22649.msg230690#msg230690

I swear I tried to understand, but I didn't understand!
Using only a set temperature and time, ok, it's easy, just cross the table and choose the amount of yeast.

But it goes for multiple times, I didn't understand your example, sorry for my stupidity  ;D ??? ???

Could anyone explain to me with the example I gave? or some other?

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Baker's yeast quantity prediction model - please compare to your results
« Reply #522 on: August 02, 2020, 11:15:21 AM »
EDIT: The latest yeast quantity prediction model can be found at Reply 188 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26831.msg349349.html#msg349349; for a version of the chart with the yeast percents stated out to three decimal places, see Reply 202 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg355933#msg355933; for a further expanded version, see Reply 399 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg511590#msg511590; for a 48-hour chart, see Reply 406 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg511818#msg511818; beyond 48 hours, see Reply 202 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg355933#msg355933

The model works the same way as my sourdough starter predictive model (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22649.0.html) except it's for baker's yeast (ADY, IDY, and CY). It's still in the developmental stages, so please don't rely on it yet.

What I'm hoping you will do at this point is tell me where the predictions differ from your proven results. For example, it predicts 0.05% (0.048% column on the chart) IDY fermented at 70F will take 12 hours. Maybe you've done something similar, and it only took 8 hours - please post what you did - your yeast%, temperature(s), and time(s), so I can fine tune it.

Thanks in advance.
Is this the latest version of the calculator? I printed out one that is stated to be more in line with cold fermentation but can't find it in the posts here. The other problem is that when printed out it is too blurred to read. Is there a clear version that is legible when printed? 

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #523 on: August 02, 2020, 01:10:39 PM »
Thanks. I found it and solved the reading problem.

Offline Komarzer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #524 on: September 08, 2020, 05:12:32 AM »
I'm about to start my Neapolitan pizza making journey, I have some questions though.

I made a sourdough starter, but I don't want to start using it right away. I'd like to experiment the dough making process with ADY and CY until I'm good enough before going next level with SD. I want to notice the taste difference between each type of yeast too.

In order to determine how much yeast I should use, my question is: The RT at my place is 23.5 - 24 degrees Celsius. I also have a fridge with a 7 degrees Celsius setting. From your experience, with ADY and CY, should I go towards longer fermentation time by using the fridge and RT, or should I go RT entirely? My instinct woud say that longer fermentation time is better, but at what point does it become too much? What is the impact on taste and chewiness on the dough?

I'll try something like:

100% Caputo Pizzeria
63% Water (I'll try between 60-65%)
2.8% Salt
??% ADY/CY
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 05:17:33 AM by Komarzer »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #525 on: September 08, 2020, 07:42:16 AM »
There aren't simple answers to those questions. Longer is different, not necessarily better, and an hour in the fridge is not the same as an hour at room temp. My general rule of thumb for flavor/aroma development is 1 hour at room temp ~ 4 hours in the fridge, but that doesn't necessarily mean the same even if at the same level of flavor development because the byproducts of fermentation are different at different temps. The rheology of the dough is different too. At the end of the day, on'y testing, tweaking and testing again is what will give you the answers to what works best for you.

If your ambient room temp is pretty stable, I'd suggest testing 6, 12, and 24 hour room temp and 24 and 48 hour CF. Do each a couple times and take notes. Compare flavor, aroma, texture, etc. Post pictures.

This table can help you find a place to start with the yeast: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg511590#msg511590

For the 24 and 48 hour CF, you might try 0.5% and 0.2% respectively.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Komarzer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #526 on: September 08, 2020, 09:11:10 AM »
I think you're completely right in advising to experiment things and take notes. I'll start this Sunday with either the 6 or 12 hours ferment, and maybe, MAYBE, I'll create a thread and post pictures haha.

My ambient room temp seems to be stable at 24 C these days. I'll need to mesure the fridge to see if it's a stable 7 C

If I read the chart correctly, would these ADY % be correct?:
  • RT 6 hours : 0.09%
  • RT 12 hours : 0.042%
  • RT 24 hours : 0.018%
  • CT 24 hours : 0.5%
  • CT 48 hours : 0.2%

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #527 on: September 08, 2020, 10:00:17 AM »
Correct.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Kralle

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #528 on: September 20, 2020, 01:15:38 PM »
Hi is there a calculator version of this model, like the one you made for the Sourdough starter?

This one:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UEj7IApIauBjj_9d3jdWrbjOjnWu5FICcgAFZY6p8Oc/edit#gid=0

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #529 on: September 20, 2020, 02:20:50 PM »
No.

Offline Kralle

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #530 on: September 20, 2020, 02:23:48 PM »
Ok, could you make it? Or could you provide the equation, then i could make it.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #531 on: September 20, 2020, 02:28:58 PM »
There are plenty of calculators out there. I like this one: https://calbal.altervista.org/

Offline Kralle

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #532 on: September 20, 2020, 02:49:17 PM »
Thanks for the link. I have just been getting very good results using this prediction model.
I just made some pizzas that turned out really great using this table, so i was just interested in having a tool that could make the process easier.

I tried putting in the data for the pizzas i have made in the calculator you shared and it resulted in having 25% more yeast than i used.

Offline erik nj

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #533 on: September 24, 2020, 12:55:25 PM »
yo this chart is amazing. maybe i should be posting this somewhere else, but hoping to just get some quick confirmation that i was doing it wrong before.

i've made a few batches of neop dough 1.5kg caputo blue, 65% hydration, 2g active dry yeast 30g salt.  24 hour bulk ferment @ like 70F, then 24 hrs in the fridge.  Balls were SUPER flat pretty quickly. i believe this was due to way too much yeast, though my buddy swears this works for him. im almost positive it overproofed at room temp, but i've only tried 3 batches so far.  not getting much rise on the crust either even though i'm super careful to not bother it when shaping.

based on the chart, i should probably be using more like 0.5g active dry yeast - is that right?

looking forward to posting some pics of more successful dough with your help!

Offline Sapp

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #534 on: October 06, 2020, 11:11:11 AM »
There is so much helpful info and members it is almost overwhelming.

Tom Lehman had suggested I reduce my yeast % in my N.Y. dough recipe because I am fermenting in my wine cellar at 55 instead of fridge. The chart says I should reduce from .5% to .05%. Thats 1/10th the yeast and barely registers on the digital scale. Is that correct?

Offline Sapp

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #535 on: October 06, 2020, 11:18:34 AM »
Forgot to add 48 hours to my post

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #536 on: October 21, 2020, 05:05:38 AM »
I did 0.040% yeast at around 20c should be 19 hours according to table but pretty much doubled after 12.     :-[  Anyway it could last a couple hour longer at RT  imo so I quickly threw it in the fridge as I need it in about 6 hours.

[edit]  found a word doc from end of 2019 that says I did a pizza with 0.040% yeast and should take 19 or so hours. I'll go look at my old message history I probably mentioned it before. ;)

Looks like I found it

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg602835#msg602835

it looked ready by 15 hours   

:-\

I'm using this chart it seems to be a be 1 hour out from the first one posted 19 hour vs 17 hour for 0.040% at 20c

I think the water I used was quite warm that probably sped it up a bit but still seems to be quite far out compared to outhers I've used on the table.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 05:19:41 AM by MadMatt »

wordpress