A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Trying to get the taste of 4-5 day dough into a 3 day cold ferment  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Jim Diggy

• I Love Pizza!
So I have been trying to perfect my dough recipe for about two years now.  Slightly tweaking the recipe here and there by experimenting with different processes and variants of ingredients.  Finally, I have the exact taste I am looking for but it takes a little to long to arrive at that taste.

I use a cold ferment and the day 4-5 Dough has the best flavor.  I am trying to get the best taste dough to be ready in 3 days instead of 4-5 days.  Ive experimented quite extensively but the day 4-5 dough is still better.

1 Ball weighs 12oz for an 11 pie
55% hydration = 3.8oz
.47% IDY = .03oz

Room humidity level is usually 25-35 deg
Dough is always cold when I place in refrigerator
Refrigerator temp is about 35deg

I have tried to adjust the yeast, hydration, refrigerator temps, placing balls in bread bags, etc.

Any help would be appreciated

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
Re: Trying to get the taste of 4-5 day dough into a 3 day cold ferment
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 08:47:59 PM »
Hey Jim, not to be flip, but well...just make your dough 2 days sooner or wait 2 more days before you bake. . This one seems to be easy. Fermentation does what it does...

That said, there are some pretty good fast doughs on here. Mike (Essen 1) has a 5 hour dough that has a really good flavor for something so fast. But that's not 5 days nor is it 3.

Happy pizza making!

Offline tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 08:58:20 PM »
Maybe go with a 24 or 36 hour room temp ferment.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 09:10:53 PM »
It's a good idea, Tin...but for me,  even that doesn't rival the long slow time frame. It's good, really good...but not the same..at least to me.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 10:49:14 PM »
You might also try increasing the finished dough temperature by a few degrees too, or if you don't want to go that route experiment with letting the dough sit out at room temperature before going into the fridge. If you go that route use test increments of 15-minutes.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline woodmakesitgood

• You gots to cook it strong!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 11:22:32 PM »
You and me both diggy.  :D
there's a sweet spot at that 4-day mark.

I like the idea of trying a partial rt ferment and then into the fridge for 2 days.

A poolish is a good way of getting some more flavor in a 1-day dough, but I don't think it is quite the equal of a long CF.
Charles

Offline woodmakesitgood

• You gots to cook it strong!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 11:24:00 PM »
It's a good idea, Tin...but for me,  even that doesn't rival the long slow time frame. It's good, really good...but not the same..at least to me.

That is contrary to the scientific literature...but I agree with you.  :-D
Charles

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 12:33:34 AM »
Of course it's totally personal..but I've tried a long RT ferment, and I still don't love it unless it's had a few days in the fridge. But I do  I think, now that I mention it so I can correct my above comments, that I liked it at 3 days;...so a 24 hour RT (approximately) followed by 2 days in the fridge might work,

And to take it a little further, I noticed my doughs were getting wet after a long RT and a few fridge days..Tom said that was to be expected..so I tried reversing the process.  I know Tom is following this thread so he may well tell me I'm missing the boat, but my taste tells me my new technique for this is effective:  For the 3 day time frame I would do a 2 day CF, followed by a one day RT. When I did  it this way (I was  using  4 or 5 day time frames) I found the flavor was still there, the dough wasn't wet and the OS was very good  to excelllent.

Offline Jim Diggy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 06:43:33 PM »
Tin, My original process was a 24hr RT ferment but the taste was never as sweet as the CF. 

Wood, Jersey early on during experiment with my process I was using a 24 hour poolish followed by a 48 hour CF.  The taste still wasnt as good as the 4-5 Day CF dough.   

I also experimented with a 48 hour CF followed by a 12hr RT 70 deg, later experimented with the 12 hr at 50,55,60,65 degrees rigging my refrigerator.  The dough turned out very runny and extensible for some reason and the dough taste was still not great.  I do have to admitI have a high sugar content in my dough

Tom, I will use your advice in my next experiment.  I place ice into my total water % to lower the finished dough temp and promptly place them in the fridge to maintain the temperature.  I estimate my finished dough balls are about 60 deg going into the fridge. 

Just curious, Im thinking of buying a commercial refrigerator as my dough fridge is giving me problems.  The fridge Im looking into allows programing from 33 38 deg.  Do you think adjusting to 38 deg would help or hurt what Im trying to achieve?

Thank you guys for the advice!     

wordpress