A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Malagueta Chilis = Hot Honey  (Read 10149 times)

Offline Serpentelli

• Bat Man vs. The Penguin
Re: Malagueta Chilis = Hot Honey
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 12:22:48 PM »
Sounds great! My friend Van was going on and on last night about how bad his stomach hurt after eating a burrito with Fresh Trinidad Scorpions on it. Hopefully your honey ain't quite that ferocious!!

I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Online Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 12:36:59 PM »
Not at all...Scorpions are superhot. Beyond habanero hot. 300k+ Scoville units
These malaguetas are 60k-100k.
Practice makes pizza

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2016, 11:34:03 AM »
Old thread, but you could probably substitute Thai chile's and get a similar result.

Offline psedillo

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2016, 02:30:33 PM »
Old thread, but you could probably substitute Thai chile's and get a similar result.
Thank you for bringing this thread back up. I've been looking at ways to infuse chile's into all sorts of things. Honey is an excellent idea!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 02:33:00 PM »
I was lucky enough to be a recipient of a bottle of Mmmph's hot honey - awesome.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline psedillo

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 02:45:42 PM »
I've got to imagine the honey/chili combo was delicious. Over the weekend we received an order of seeds and a good part of the order was chili seeds.

Looking forward to growing them this year, but definately going to try this honey idea before then.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 02:51:01 PM »
Finding Malagueta Chilis is a pain in the rear. I could probably find thai chilis from a local vendor, pickle in vinegar, and infuse.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2016, 03:00:12 PM »
I don't think you need to go to the trouble; it would work great with regular crushed red pepper flakes with a bit of vinegar added.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2016, 03:48:57 PM »
We also have access to dried Birdseye chili. Maybe I'll try a little of both. What about regular whole dried chile? I assume just enough vinegar to turn it into a paste?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2016, 03:53:36 PM »
Taste some Mike's before you start to get a sense for the vinegar component. You don't need a liquid/paste to infuse honey with dry chilies. The vinegar is important to the flavor all on it's own.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2016, 04:25:56 PM »
50-50 honey and sriracha is in the neighborhood flavor-wise, but it thins out the honey a little too much and the color becomes a dark rust hue.  It might be just the thing for a commercial operation as it's a lot cheaper than Mike's.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2016, 12:50:21 AM »
I worked with Kurtz at Paulie's. I never tried to make his honey, though. I've eaten so much of his hot honey I never wanted to have honey on pizza again. That being said, if I am going to have the stuff on pizza (and many places do it now,) I think hot honey is the way to go. Clover honey just tastes odd on its own to me

Taste some Mike's before you start to get a sense for the vinegar component. You don't need a liquid/paste to infuse honey with dry chilies. The vinegar is important to the flavor all on it's own.

Offline psedillo

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2016, 01:22:38 AM »
I worked with Kurtz at Paulie's.

Apologies for a side conversation on the thread, but I am very curious on how it was to work at Paulie Gees. I went there for the first time last year and had an exceptional experience. It felt like Paulie spent our entire meal sitting there talking with us. Impressive man, very humble and engaging.

I've often kicking around the idea of heading up there to apprentice with him.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2017, 11:07:13 PM »
Craig,

Any recommendations on how one would use dry chilis and add vinegar? I am considering trying that method, or grabbing a case of Thai chilies (same as malagueta in scoville units,) pickling them in plain vinegar and using the mash to make honey.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2017, 09:09:01 AM »
Craig,

Any recommendations on how one would use dry chilis and add vinegar? I am considering trying that method, or grabbing a case of Thai chilies (same as malagueta in scoville units,) pickling them in plain vinegar and using the mash to make honey.

I'd do it pretty much the same with dry or fresh chilies though I think fresh would be better. I think you could make something great with all sorts of different fresh chilies - and I don't think they necesarily need to be a red chilie. I think serrano would be worth trying. I'd do it pretty much the same as Mmmph did here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=27223.msg292408#msg292408 though I might skip the pickling stage and just add vinegar into the chopped chilies or even to taste at the end. I had one of the bottles you see in his picture, and it was excellent - and very hot - much hotter than Mikes. As the bottle got to about 1/3 left, I cut it back to full with honey, and it was still hotter than Mike's.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2017, 12:10:46 PM »
I think the pickling mellows out the heat a bit. I used to pickle jalapenos for pizza pretty frequently and the pickled stuff was always a little smoother.

If I wanted something closer to Mike's, how would you adjust the ratios? Half the amount of chili?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2017, 12:23:25 PM »
I might even go with 1/3 to start. Of course, you can also just make a small batch of his recipe then cut it with pure honey until you get it where you want it and then work out the ratios.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2017, 12:37:36 PM »
Great stuff I'm excited to try it out. Wondering what else I can infuse into honey....

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2017, 01:10:28 PM »
- herbs

- vanilla w/ or w/o citrus peel

- White truffle infused honey is to die for.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2017, 01:37:46 PM »
Any concerns with botulism in a honey infused with fresh truffle?

wordpress