A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My thoughts on 6 in 1 Tomatoes  (Read 4724 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: My thoughts on 6 in 1 Tomatoes
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 10:02:08 AM »
It looks like the crust was cooked with a bit of oil in the pan.  Do you care to share the recipe for it?

Thanks for the kind words. I use butter-flavored Crisco in the pan.

The like deb posted contains what little I know about DS.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 07:39:37 PM »
I finally got around to making NP with the 6-in-1 tomatoes. While they certainly were not bad, they were a bit out of balance for NP - not quite enough acid to balance the thick sweetness. I also just don't care for the skins. I hit it pretty good with the stick blender and that helped a bit, but not much.

On my pepperoni pie, they are pretty tasty, but it's a no-go for a Margherita, IMO.

Craig..thats EXACTLY what I thought would happen.  Im not expert....%$# im not even a novice on NEO, but, I always see neo sauce being thinner, less sweet.....as much as I love valorose oand 6 and one ( i use both) I never would think they would be appropriate for neapolitan.   Actually the characteristics of San Marzano actually are perfect, aren't they??

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 08:41:55 PM »
Actually the characteristics of San Marzano actually are perfect, aren't they??

I think so. You need some sweetness, but you need some acid too to cut through the fat in the (ideally) buffalo mozz. The 6-in1's and the NJ tomatoes I can't spell the name of both just hit me with sweet. For whatever reason, they really work for me on DS, but not so much on NP. I guess the sweetness pairs well with all that crust.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 08:56:17 PM »
Try the 7-11's they are my current favorite and I do not recall seeing any skins ever.  That said, I do like 6 in 1.

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 10:30:30 PM »
Try the 7-11's they are my current favorite and I do not recall seeing any skins ever.  That said, I do like 6 in 1.

I thought those are unpeeled then ground?
When we build, let us think that we build forever.
John Ruskin

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 05:44:32 AM »
stonecutter,

According to the Stanislaus website, you are correct:

http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/products/real-italian-products/from-scratch-products#Ground

Peter

Offline quixoteQ

• Give me Shackleton Every Time
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 08:44:28 AM »
stonecutter,

According to the Stanislaus website, you are correct:

http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/products/real-italian-products/from-scratch-products#Ground

Peter

I read the website description, and it seems that the only difference between the 7/11s and the Tomato Magic is the peel in 7/11s.  I personally find the 7/11s to be quite tasty. 
Josh

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 12:37:55 PM »
I just opened a can, and you are correct, there are bits of skin.  I never even noticed.

Offline drmatt357

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2014, 10:56:49 PM »
I just started going to my local RD where they stock Stanislaus and 6 in1 along with others. I decided to do a taste test with these two and a can of S&W I had laying around, all crushed tomatoes.

I knew which bowls were which but my wife or children did not. All samples were straight out of the can with no seasoning.

Results:
Tomato Magic was hands down the favorite.  My 19 year old daughter chose S&W but the others chose the TM. NOBODY chose 6 in 1.

Having said that, my wife really loved the 6 in 1 I used on the Malnatis DD earlier in the week.

IMO, they were all pretty close (I really thought the S&W would get killed). If all properly seasoned, I think it would be too close to even matter.