A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Buffalo Mozzarella question  (Read 218 times)

Offline benny8

• I Love Pizza!
Buffalo Mozzarella question
« on: June 01, 2017, 06:53:02 AM »
I was able to purchase a case of Buffalo Mozzarella thru a friend who owns a local sandwich shop. It came in 12-7oz containers. It was Ovoli brand from Italy. It was frozen and has an expiration date of Dec 2018. I first had buffalo mozzarella at a Pizza place that first opened 3 or 4 years ago. Their pizza was awesome. The cheese had great taste and creaminess. The friend who owns the sandwich shop worked there and when he left, they did away with the buffalo mozz, and their pizzas went to hell. Anyway, what is the best way to apply the Buffalo Mozzarella to my pizzas? I had to try it this past weekend, so i thawed a container, drained the brine and just broke it into pcs. The taste was amazing. I was wondering if it could be shredded, or just continue to break it up by hand? I really can't wait to use it in the WFO. Could I mix it with another cheese to help compliment it? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Online foreplease

• Supporting Member
Re: Buffalo Mozzarella question
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 11:09:01 PM »
When I have used it, I have simply torn it as you describe. Several pieces did not make it to the pizza because I ate it. I am convinced that yields the best texture and appearance. I have to go 100 miles each way to get buffalo mozzarella so I don't get it often. Last time I thought 'what the hell' and bought one more than I could use and froze it. When I thawed and drained it a few weeks later, again tearing it, the texture seemed unchanged both raw and baked on pizza.

I have grated other soft cheeses, such as Gorgonzola, for a garnish on pasta dishes. Freezing it first makes this easy to do and makes it easy to use a small amount. With your buffalo mozzarella in brine, you may have to thaw, drain, and refreeze it if you want to try that method. For pizza, I'd be surprised if you like it better than what you are already doing.

Good luck to you - enjoy that cheese!
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream