A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: A Blackstone Down Under  (Read 155219 times)

Offline dylandylan

Re: A Blackstone Down Under
« Reply #140 on: February 18, 2014, 04:03:53 AM »
Thanks, I'm enjoying trying a few odd toppings,  but finding you can't beat the classics too.   Hmmm wonder if you can make sheep mozz? 

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2014, 04:36:34 AM »
Thanks, I'm enjoying trying a few odd toppings,  but finding you can't beat the classics too.   Hmmm wonder if you can make sheep mozz? 

https://www.google.com/search?q=sheep+milk+mozzarella&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&safe=strict

I think that would be great!

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #142 on: February 18, 2014, 02:59:58 PM »
Hah it does look feasible.  My cheese making ability is very basic but I'm always up for an experiment.  If I can track down a local farmer willing to part with a few litres I'll try my luck.   

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2014, 02:25:04 AM »
Well I didn't manage anything as adventurous as home made sheep's milk mozz, but acquired my first actual pizza plate, and also finally put together my pizza peel... no more shuffling a pie around with a little BBQ tool.  Have to say a pizza peel really is the right tool for the job... funny that.

This week a Filetti and what turned out to be something nearing a New York style Margherita.  The Mozz this week was really wet and did not hold form at all.   Added a little parmesan to each pie pre-bake too.   

Formula: 2x 240g Champion balls. 62% hydration, 2.8% salt, 2% starter.  24h+16h ferment.
Flour:    291.23 g | 10.27 oz | 0.64 lbs
Water:    179.45 g | 6.33 oz | 0.4 lbs
Salt:    8.24 g | 0.29 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.48 tsp | 0.49 tbsp
Preferment:    5.88 g | 0.21 oz | 0.01 lbs
Total:    484.8 g | 17.1 oz | 1.07 lbs  | TF = N/A

The purple basil I thought might be a nice variation.  Turns out it doesn't bake especially well.  My wife plucked it off before even eating it.   I was nearly offended that she didn't even try it, but she has a keen sense of smell and of course she was right - it really wasn't a great tasting herb when cooked.  I'll turn the remainder of the plant into fresh salad then.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2014, 02:27:57 AM »
And the Marg

Offline waynesize

« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2014, 08:11:56 AM »
The pies look fantastic!  Note to self: get a Blackstone.  :drool:

Wayne

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2014, 12:57:57 PM »
Thanks Wayne.  I'm loving the Blackstone for sure.   Every now and then in bad weather my wife suggests that I could cook a pizza in the regular oven in the kitchen like I used to.  There's no going back!

On the topic of getting one - I'm loathe to recommend the oven without reservation due to all the shipping and QA type faults a number of folk have had, and their ovens don't arrive in working order.

Every time I use the oven I thank my lucky stars that mine worked from the get-go.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2014, 01:43:24 AM »
Something I'm noticing is that the maximum temperature seems to drop as I near the bottom of the gas tank, last week and this week I can get a good pre-heat, but when it comes time to crank the gas during the bake the temperature isn't quite there.  It's taking bake time out just past the two minute mark and makes for more chew.  Still nice but I'm looking forward to the gas refill. 

This week 4x 240g Caputo balls:  63% hydration, 2.8% salt, 3% starter.  24h+16h ferment @ room temperature.

3 pies and a spontaneous calzone as a result of attempting to rectify a mislaunch.  After launching it with about a third hanging over the edge, I managed to flip it back onto the stone and for some reason saw the bake through to its conclusion.   Funny thing is the calzone was probably the best tasting thing I've pulled out of this Blackstone, it was freakishly good.  Wish I could do it intentionally without all the cursing.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #148 on: March 01, 2014, 06:49:44 AM »
Goes to the old adage......."Better lucky than good" :-D  Might say I've been lucky a few times too and still trying to duplicate them!!!
 All pies look fantastic though, as usual. GREAT job!
jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2014, 02:39:42 PM »
Beautiful pies there Dylan.  It is hard to look at your signature rim coloration and not exclaim your trademark z word. ;D
Dave

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #150 on: March 06, 2014, 01:00:08 PM »
Thanks Jon, Dave.   Lucky indeed with that one.

I'm also starting to wonder if the wartz are in part due to my starter.   After this weekend's pies I'm planning on doing a few cake yeast pies, I'm expecting they'll look a bit different.   And sadly as I scooped out some Caputo last night I realise that my supply is nearing an end so I'll be back to using local flours for a while which might also change things up.

Offline Davydd

• Supporting Member
« Reply #151 on: March 06, 2014, 05:30:23 PM »
All I can say is I spent the last hour catching up in this thread and never saw so many perfectly puffy cornicione outside a wood-fired oven. Bravo! As I was going through I was noting there was not much mention in the thread until recently as to how you achieved such. Could you care to describe your techniques for pizza stretching a little more?

Also, I should say I admire your toppings creativity and artistry. Truly inspiring.
Davydd

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #152 on: March 06, 2014, 05:58:19 PM »
All I can say is I spent the last hour catching up in this thread and never saw so many perfectly puffy cornicione outside a wood-fired oven. Bravo! As I was going through I was noting there was not much mention in the thread until recently as to how you achieved such. Could you care to describe your techniques for pizza stretching a little more?

Also, I should say I admire your toppings creativity and artistry. Truly inspiring.
I wish you hadn't written that.  The more you encourage Dylan, the more pictures he posts, and the more frustrated some of us become.  I was kind of looking forward to him being out of Caputo ;D
Dave

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2014, 03:53:05 AM »
:)  Haha for better or worse that day will soon be upon me Dave.     In related news I made a gluten free pie for a friend last weekend and it looked truly aweful.    It was edible, apparently, but I couldn't bring myself to take a photo of it.

Thanks Davydd,  this whole thread is a continual work in progress.  My process has developed a wee bit since I started the thread so in the near future I'll look at posting a revised method that reflects what I currently do.

As far as stretching goes, I am truly no master and I'm experimenting to improve my stretching.  In short the process is:
  • press out ball from centre to edge forming the initial cornicione
  • counter stretch until I have a 7-8" round
  • pick the dough up and knuckle stretch until I have something close to 12"

That sort of describes it... but I often deviate and try things out, I've been doing some clumsy neapolitan slaps instead of counter stretching recently and that works, but I think I prefer counter stretching.   I guess more than anything I try not to mess with the cornicione through the entire process.  I'm not very fast or slick at it!   From there I dress the pizza on the counter and then drag it to the wood peel for transfer to the oven.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2014, 08:03:43 AM »
You know that it is all in good fun, Dylan.  Thanks for helping others understand your process.
Dave

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2014, 01:39:14 PM »
Awesome photos, and awesome pizzas!

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #156 on: March 07, 2014, 04:27:05 PM »
Thanks Steve!

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #157 on: March 08, 2014, 12:50:18 AM »
Today a couple of Filettis with a little pesto (garlic,parsley,evoo,chili).  We don't have a lot of summer left down here, hopefully I'll get a few more cherry tomatoes out of the glasshouse before the weather turns to custard.

Caputo 240g balls @ 63% hydration, 3% starter, 2.8% salt. 22h + 24h.

And an in-focus crumb shot continues to elude me. It's like the Loch Ness bloody monster.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #158 on: March 08, 2014, 08:00:56 AM »
Wow Dylan.  Love the pie, the tomato vine, the shed, and the haunting blurred background shot of the Blackstone reminding me that I need to up my game.
Dave

Offline Davydd

• Supporting Member
« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2014, 09:44:11 AM »
Sometimes when you try to take a close up crumb shot you get a little too close to focus with your lens capability. A macro lens or macro extender attachment can fix that if you are using an interchangeable lens camera or simply stepping back a few inches and shooting to bring the crumb in focus will do it. But then when you step back you then should do some post process cropping to get back to the close up effect you desire. Sometimes another thing that could be done for more critical focus is to use a tripod and remote shutter. Focus gets more difficult with extreme close ups and with telephoto shots. Sharp focus also goes hand in hand with light, as much light as possible, but that does not seem to be your problem.
Davydd

wordpress