Author Topic: Lorenzo's - Oberlin, OH  (Read 618 times)

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
Lorenzo's - Oberlin, OH
« on: July 29, 2016, 06:46:53 PM »
We made a day trip on Tuesday to Cleveland to visit the Rock Hall of Fame. On the way back we had the pleasure of stopping in Oberlin to see Larry (thezaman) and have dinner.

Larry has a great downtown location. We arrived at 5:00, it was filling up fast. The staff is well trained and the service was great. Larry loaded us up with appetizers, wings, ricotta cheese and bruschetta!! They were all really good. We each ordered pizza. My girlfriend and her daughter have to eat gluten free. Over the years they have tried just about every commercial pie sold. Most GF pizza is a dry thin cracker crust so they were surprised to see that their pizza looked almost identical to mine. They were actually a bit afraid to eat it because it looked like a normal pie. They both said it was the best GF pizza that they have ever had. My pizza was really good too. Nice crust, well made with what tasted like top quality ingredients.

Larry is a great host! It was good to see you again and have some great pizza. Thanks so much!!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 08:25:17 PM by HBolte »
Hans

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Lorenzo's - Oberlin, OH
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 08:14:32 PM »
Jealous  ;D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 09:13:59 PM »
Larry's joint is on my bucket list too!  Hopefully, late September.

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 07:47:02 AM »
Larry's "joint" Lorenzo's is the best!  Always have a great time there, the food is so balanced and tasteful and I sure enjoy talking with him!  He helped me understand so much about how to make good pizza.

I agree with all HBolte said, plus Larry makes some great in house salad dressings, you don't want to leave without a take home container.   

A great gentleman that runs a fabulous restaurant, who is always working on some new menu item or two! ... reminds me, it's been too long since the wife and I have been there.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 07:49:53 AM by bigMoose »
All the best, Dave

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 11:41:13 AM »
Larry's "joint" Lorenzo's is the best! 

I'm sure it is, that's why I want to visit!  My use of the word "joint" wasn't meant in a disparaging way.  I think you'll find "pizza joint' is commonly used term.  Even by Larry.  My deepest apologies if it offended you, Larry of anyone else.....
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 11:44:18 AM by parallei »

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 05:06:47 PM »
No, no didn't offend me at all.  Sorry if I gave that impression.  On a trip we took, Larry referred to his place as a joint, just like you said.  To me it is a term of endearment, as I grew up with my Italian side calling pizza shops joints all the time.

Again, sorry that I wrote so poorly...
All the best, Dave

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 01:52:53 PM »
Hans, thanks for the visit!!!! i am in the habit of calling businesses joints and homes dumps. only if it is defiantly just the opposite. we did a wood fired party at a home this weekend and it was a very beautiful home and i told the home owner he had a beautiful dump. he laughed and thanked me.

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 07:03:33 PM »
Hans, thanks for the visit!!!! i am in the habit of calling businesses joints and homes dumps. only if it is defiantly just the opposite. we did a wood fired party at a home this weekend and it was a very beautiful home and i told the home owner he had a beautiful dump. he laughed and thanked me.

Maybe it's an Italian-American thing.  My father and uncles referred to houses as dumps too.  A line I heard all too often was, "When you get your own dump, you can (insert adolescent indiscretion here) all you want.  But not while you are living here.  Capisce?!"  Sure Pops!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:47:01 PM by parallei »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 08:49:59 PM »
Maybe it's an Italian-American thing.  My father and uncles referred to houses as dumps too.  A line I heard all too often was, "When you get your own dump, you can (insert adolescent indiscretion here) all you want.  But not while you are living here.  Capisce?!"  Sure Pops!
  yes i think you are right!!! as a kid my mom would say "ill give you a dump, go sleep in the street"