A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: From Key Lime Pie to Pizza  (Read 285 times)

Offline JF Priest

• I Love Pizza!
From Key Lime Pie to Pizza
« on: April 25, 2020, 06:47:38 PM »
      Hello everyone..My name is Dave. I live in Central Pennsylvania via Marion, Montana. I am new to Pizza Making but not new to baking. I have come up with several recipes.(working on each for over a year to perfect)  Key Lime Pie and Chocolate Chip Cookie. If anyone would like to try either of these I will gladly share my recipe. My interest in pizza making started when the owners of my favorite shop retired. I then went out and started to pick up some items to help me try and recreate my favorite pie. Including a Pizza box for the gas grill, A wooden and Metal peel, a pizza stone and cast iron circular pan. With your help i hope to come close to reliving the memories of eating my favorite Pizza pie. 
      Thanks
            JFP

Offline JF Priest

• I Love Pizza!
Re: From Key Lime Pie to Pizza
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 06:54:59 PM »
Key Lime Pie

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 06:57:28 PM »
Key Lime Pie

Have you seen my other website, keylimepie.com? lol

I jest, but that's another one of my favorite foods!

Offline JF Priest

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 07:02:22 PM »
Have you seen my other website, keylimepie.com? lol

I jest, but that's another one of my favorite foods!

Wow..Small world.. will check it out.. if I had found it sooner my journey to recreate a Key Lime pie from a local bakery (Who got way to expensive) ..May have been a lot shorter in duration.

Offline Kappy22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 07:07:32 PM »
Hey Dave! I'd love to get your Key Lime Pie recipe!
tom

Offline JF Priest

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 07:10:14 PM »
Hey Steve I also Make a Killer (Or so I have been told) Key Lime Sugar Cookie..(Do you also own the Domain Keylimesugarcookies.com)  ;D

Offline JF Priest

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 07:18:00 PM »
tom

Please make sure your oven Temp is Accurate ...

Key Lime Pie

Crust
I Pack Graham Crackers (9 crackers)
1/4 cup  White Sugar
4 Tablespoons Melted butter
Process Graham crackers Then add sugar. Stir in the Melted butter.
Press into a 9" pie pan
Bake in oven (Center Rack) 350 for 8 min

Filling
 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
 Zest of 1 Lime. Then add its juice to the mix
 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
 Nellie and Joe's Key West Lime Juice (5 ounces)
1  Heaping Teaspoon of Cornstarch (To keep the filling from weeping)

Combine 2 cans of Sweetened Condensed milk. Stir in Zest of one washed Lime. Stir in 1/2 Cup Sour Cream. Add 5 ounces of Key West Lime Juice with the Juice of the fresh lime. This should give you about 5 1/2 ounces total. (Or just below the 3/4 Cup mark on your Measuring cup). Stir in the 1 Teaspoon of Cornstarch. (To Stabilize)

Pour most of the Mixture into the Pie crust.(All of it will fit but I prefer to use about 3/4 of the mixture.. Trying to get the right amount of filling to topping ratio. Usually I can see about half inch of Graham Cracker crust left on the sides of the Pie Pan.)
Bake in oven 350 for 10 min.
Let cool to room temp. Place in Refrigerator at least 5 hours before putting on Topping.

Topping
One Pint Heavy Whipped Cream
2 1/2 Tablespoons of Vanilla Extract (Your Favorite) (I use Madagascar Organic Vanilla)
1/2 Cup Powered Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon of  Cream of Tartar (To Stabilize)

Place bowl and Whisks you are going use to whip the cream in the freezer for about one hour. Pour in cold cream start to whip. Add Powered Sugar, . then Vanilla and Lastly Cream of Tartar..

Lastly add some lime zest to the top of the pie after whipped cream is put on.
Place in Freezer for about 30 min then in Refrigerator. If I am going to transport the pie a short distance to an event. I will leave it in the freezer for up to one hour.

My Thoughts on the recipe..
I prefer a Key lime Pie that is not overly tart. (I do not want something that is going to have me make a "Sour Face"). I would say this pie gives a rich hint of Key Lime without overpowering. The Heavy Whipped cream topping is going to balance out the mild tartness of the filling. I prefer a topping that is mildly sweet and I also want to be able to taste the Vanilla. So to get to taste I  May add a little more powered Sugar than the 1/2C in this recipe..The same is true with the Vanilla (I sometimes add a little more than 2 1/2 Tablespoons that is called for)..Because this is "To Taste"

Offline JF Priest

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 07:30:46 PM »
So back to what brought me here..My favorite pizza shop as a kid was made by the original owners of a small local franchise Papa Dinos.. The husband and wife sold the franchise and then started their own shop. The crust was thin, firm and chewy. The pizza had a sharp or sour/tart taste to it. (Maybe they used a Sourdough type crust..Or even let the dough sit for a few extra days in the fridge..) Could have even been a cheese blend..Something a little Sharp maybe)..First Pizza I ever had with the sauce on the Top.. .

Good times
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 07:39:35 PM by JF Priest »

Online Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 03:51:41 AM »
I'd love the recipe for the key lime sugar cookies, I'm going to make your pie soon, last pie I made was a Pumpkin. It was for a friend and her family, I'm not a fan of pumpkin pies so it would be nice to make something I'd like to eat.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 03:56:22 AM by Quebert »

Offline JF Priest

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 10:54:07 PM »
Key Lime sugar cookie RECIPE  ;D

Here is the Key Lime Sugar Cookie Recipe.. My personal preference with this cookie is a thin cookie firm on the outside and chewy in the middle. The bottom will be golden brown. As always make sure your oven is the actual temp that the dial is set at.
2 1/4 C All Purpose Flour (11 1/14 oz)
1/2 t baking soda
1 t Baking Powder
1/2 t salt
1 1/2  C  Sugar
1/3 C Bob's Red Mill Decorative Sparkling Sugar
2 oz cream cheese (cut into 8 pieces)
1/2 C sweetened flaked coconut, chopped fine
1 t lime zest
6 T warm melted unsalted butter
1/2 C vegetable oil
2 t Nielsen-Massey Organic Fairtrade Madagascar Vanilla Extract
1 large egg
1 T milk
1 T Nellie and Joe's  Key West Lime Juice

Baking Temp oven 350
Line cookie sheet with parchment paper

in med bowl whisk together the flour, coconut, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. (set aside)
Combine  1 1/4 cups of the Sugar, Lime Zest, and cream cheese in a large bowl.  pour the warm butter over the cream cheese mixture and whisk.
whisk in the oil, then the egg, milk Organic Vanilla and Lime Juice.. Mix until smooth.  Fold in Dry ingredients until you get a soft dough.

Using a medium cookie scoop (about 2 T worth) Scoop and Roll the dough into balls. Roll into the Red Mill Sparkling Sugar. Place on baking sheet. Taking the bottom of a glass flatten the balls into discs. Sprinkle more Red Mill Sugar on top.
Put 1/4 C Red Mill Sparkling Sugar in a pie plate to roll the cookie balls in. set aside

Bake 11 to 13 min in a 350 degree oven (Middle rack). Rotating the sheet halfway through.
Out of the oven let sit on hot tray for 5 min. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool

Notes:
 The cookies again should be thin..Golden brown on the bottom and chewy..I have added more that 1 T of Nellie and Joe's Lime Juice..Sometimes you just want a little more flavor.  I also vary the amount of Organic Vanilla I add in. This is a good place to start. I have also messed around with the size of the cookie.  Sometimes you just want a larger cookie Baking times will vary. (Look for the golden brown firm bottom)

Offline JF Priest

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 10:59:14 PM »
If there is a request for it I will gladly post mu Choc Chip Cookie Recipe. This took me over a year and a half to perfect. I will say this is very ingredient specific. So you will have to do a lot of shopping.

Offline JF Priest

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 11:06:57 PM »
tom
Manhattan Key Lime Juice is also highly rated if you can not find Nellie and Joe's...

Offline JF Priest

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 11:14:19 PM »
Small slice before anytime..

Offline JF Priest

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2020, 08:17:27 AM »
My Sister and I making Grandma's Silver Cake topped with Coconut and "Marshmallow Fluff" cooked icing..

Offline JF Priest

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2020, 08:32:10 AM »
Silver Cake my favorite as a kid. I had better get back to talking pizza..I have ordered and still waiting for Antimo Caputo Lievito Active Dry Yeast..(To go with the Antimo Caputo Chefs Flour) I will start with this combination along with filtered water. I may go to a mountain Spring to get some water to test in another batch. I believe good water is a key....I have made Sourdough bread and sticky buns before (with my Grandfather back in my childhood) so I am not a total Dough Newb. I will take one Shortcut in my first Pizza attempt. That will be Godfather' Pizza Sauce. (in a Jar)..Used to love their pizza as a kid..See they still market the Sauce so I ordered some. BTW I am still looking fou Silver Dollar sized Peoeroni..does anyone have any info on where I can get some that I can put on top of my first  Grill baked pizza?

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2020, 09:10:36 AM »
Key Lime sugar cookie RECIPE  ;D

Notes:
 The cookies again should be thin..Golden brown on the bottom and chewy..I have added more that 1 T of Nellie and Joe's Lime Juice..Sometimes you just want a little more flavor. 

JFP,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for taking the time to share your recipes.  The Key Lime sugar cookie sounds delicious and I will definitely give it a whirl, as I really like both citrus and coconut desserts.  One tip I've learned on how to boost the citrus flavour in a dessert is to take some of the zest and sugar and pulse them together in a food processor.  The essential oils permeate the sugar and intensify the citrus flavour and aroma.  This also works well with the decorative sugar that you sprinkle on top of a cookie. 

Quote from: JF Priest
If there is a request for it I will gladly post mu Choc Chip Cookie Recipe. This took me over a year and a half to perfect.

Would love to see your chocolate chip cookie recipe also, whenever you have the time.  I know it's gotta be good if you've spent all that time perfecting it.

Hopefully, we can help you out with your pizza quest in return.

Cheers and thanks again.

Rolls
Getting old, memory is the second thing to go......Can't remember the first.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2020, 09:13:57 AM »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline JF Priest

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 04:36:40 PM »
JFP,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for taking the time to share your recipes.  The Key Lime sugar cookie sounds delicious and I will definitely give it a whirl, as I really like both citrus and coconut desserts.  One tip I've learned on how to boost the citrus flavour in a dessert is to take some of the zest and sugar and pulse them together in a food processor.  The essential oils permeate the sugar and intensify the citrus flavour and aroma.  This also works well with the decorative sugar that you sprinkle on top of a cookie. 

Would love to see your chocolate chip cookie recipe also, whenever you have the time.  I know it's gotta be good if you've spent all that time perfecting it.

Hopefully, we can help you out with your pizza quest in return.

Cheers and thanks again.

Rolls

Hi Rolls,
 You are so correct about adding Zest..A lot of people omit it from the recipe thinking what difference can this make)..Next time I will try adding Lime Zest to the Sugar and give you a report on my findings.
I will gladly post the Choc Chip Cookie recipe..
I just ask for constructive feedback on anything that you try..(That is the only way I can improve these recipes) Whether it is Baking Time, Temp, Better ingredients,(or any other tricks like adding Zest with Sugar).
Another example in the Key Lime Pie Recipe was trying to figure out what to use to stabilize the Key Lime Filling (To keep it from weeping) and to Stabilize the Heavy Whipped Cream Topping. (Corn Starch and Cream of Tartar)..(And the appropriate amounts of each.)

Here is a list of ingredients for the Choc Chip cookies
On the Types of Chocolate originally I mixed 50/50  "Callebaut Belgian Dark Couverture Chocolate Semisweet Callets", with "Nestle Semi Sweet Chocolate Morsels".
I found out that My favorite Local Homemade Chocolate Shop was using "Peter's Gourmet Semisweet Chocolate Chips - 62% Pure Chocolate Baking Chips". So I dropped the Nestle altogether and went with a 50/50 on the Callebaut and Peters. (On the Peters you can find it in 5 pound bags..)

1 C cold Butter cubed or 2 Sticks of Butter  (Thinner cookie Microwave for 7 seconds)
1 C Full Circle Market Organic Light Brown Sugar
1/2 C + 2 T Domino Organic Raw cane Sugar
2 Large Eggs (Room Temp)
2 t Nielsen-Massey Organic Fairtrade Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
1/2 t Anthony's Espresso Baking Powder or 2 T Black Coffee
2 3/4 C All Purpose Flour (Just under 11.75oz)
1 t Cornstarch
3/4 t baking soda
3/4 t sea salt
1 1/4 cups of Belgian Dark Couverture Chocolate Semisweet Callets, 54.5%
1 1/4 cups of Peter's Gourmet Semisweet Chocolate Chips - 62% Pure Chocolate Baking Chips

Mixing Directions to Follow

Notes:  My goal is a thin cookie with a crunchy caramelized bottom with a chewy (Not under done) middle..
wrap and Chill Cookie Dough for 24 hours..
Place a small amount of Sea Salt on top of the cookie Ball (This will enhance the flavor of the Choc Chips)
Bake 400 degree oven for 9  to 11 Min Turning the cookie sheet 180 degrees at halfway through baking time
Baking time will vary depending on the size of the cookie..In the Pic below I made some larger cookies using an Ice Cream scoop. I ended up buying a Jenaluca Cookie Scoop - Mini Cupcake Scoop - 18/8 Stainless Steel - Medium  to keep everything uniform.
Flatten out dough balls on Cookie Sheet This will help with a thinner crispy cookie that is chewy in the inside
Try a sheet with Parchment Paper and a cookie sheet without (See what you prefer) I preferred with Parchment paper
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 05:00:32 PM by JF Priest »

Offline JF Priest

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 04:45:40 PM »
Here is my initial pizza baking setup..
My 25 year old Weber gas Grill with a Pizza cooking steel insert/ and a baking stone
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 04:49:27 PM by JF Priest »

Offline JF Priest

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2020, 05:07:07 PM »
One of my favorites too:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=24963.0

Great..I see you used Eggs..That is something I have never tried.. Thanks so much for the forum link