A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator  (Read 76690 times)

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2015, 11:13:13 PM »
Just be gentle with the tri tip. Go with something similar to what Paul did with his ribeye. Tri tips as you know are pretty lean so I wouldn't go past 5-6 hours, chuck of course can handle longer, go for the fatty ones. Tri tip sounds great though!

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2015, 01:06:46 PM »
Just be gentle with the tri tip. Go with something similar to what Paul did with his ribeye. Tri tips as you know are pretty lean so I wouldn't go past 5-6 hours, chuck of course can handle longer, go for the fatty ones. Tri tip sounds great though!

jon

Hmmm....maybe not Tri tip.  We have made it 4 or 5 times.  Most of the time, my wife does not like it - "too fleshy"  I asked her last night what she means and she thinks it is too lean.  Similarly, neither of us like sirloin very much. 

Follow up - Have you tried a brisket flat??  Seems like something amenable to sous vide.  I have read a few very positive posts from FeChef in which he puts it in the sous vide and then finishes in a smoker.  Any other approaches worthwhile?
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2015, 03:07:04 PM »
Hmmm....maybe not Tri tip.  We have made it 4 or 5 times.  Most of the time, my wife does not like it - "too fleshy"  I asked her last night what she means and she thinks it is too lean.  Similarly, neither of us like sirloin very much. 

Follow up - Have you tried a brisket flat??  Seems like something amenable to sous vide.  I have read a few very positive posts from FeChef in which he puts it in the sous vide and then finishes in a smoker.  Any other approaches worthwhile?
I followed the Serious Eats sous vide procedure for corned beef and really enjoyed it. I made Reubens instead of a dinner and scaled back the cloves because I'm not a big fan of them.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/03/homemade-corned-beef-brisket-with-potatoes-cabbage-carrots-recipe.html

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2015, 03:43:08 PM »
I'll bet corned beef was great in there. If I'm going to play with the smoker I'm usually all in the smoker. I may try to fuse the 2 someday
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2015, 07:20:36 PM »

Lately I have been going the reverse route where i smoke first till 155F (for beef brisket and chuckies) Then finish off in my outdoor sous vide cooler rig. Reason being is no matter how many times you vacuum bag smoked meats, that smoke smell will permeate the bags and stink your entire house up. I have sinusitis so that smoke smell will get stuck in my sinus for days to the point where i hate even the thought of delishious smoked meats.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:22:11 PM by FeCheF »

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2015, 08:18:25 PM »
These were some reverse beef ribs i did last year.

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2015, 10:53:51 PM »
I picked up a 6 pound brisket flat at Costco to give it a try.  I found a recipe approach on the "Sous Vide Supreme" website:
- season the meat with a rub
- 135 degrees for 48 hours
- smoke with chips for 10 minutes
- sear

Although there was room for improvement, I was very pleased with the results - very tender, good flavor, not dry (but could have been more moist).

It came looking more medium than I expected and that was OK.  Probably the result of the 10 minute smoke and the sear.  We really enjoyed it and had fun making sandwiches with fun trimmings and freshly baked Kaiser rolls.

Given I have been generally unsuccessful with flats in the smoker, I can easily see doing this again.  Next time, more seasoning and maybe start out at 132.  I also may give FeCheF's approach a try and smoke it at the beginning.  The 10 minute smoke with chips was a waste of time.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 10:57:24 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2015, 11:07:11 PM »

I picked up a 6 pound brisket flat ...

Did the fat break down the same as if you smoked it to an internal temp around 200f? 

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2015, 09:18:25 AM »
There was not a lot of fat when I started and, when finished, there was pretty much nothing there except for the remnant of the small fat cap I started with.  Hard to tell since so little was there - I would be interested in FeChef's observations and others.  In my web browsing, I did see a bunch of people arguing about it - there various temperatures at which different types of fat melted, etc.

I would guess, with all these caveats, that it was not the same.  It was cooked differently, so I would think it did make a difference.  When I made the short ribs, there was much more fit than I was used to having when finished.  Mostly because of the particular cut, but I also think that, although the fat was gelatinized, less of it actually dripped off.
Mitch

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2015, 10:39:33 AM »
but I also think that, although the fat was gelatinized, less of it actually dripped off.

Fat does not gelatinize. The tough, collagenous, connective tissue in the flesh, when exposed to enough heat for enough time is converted to luscious gelatin. Too much time and heat can destroy the delicate gelatin leading to dry, stringy meat.   

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2015, 11:04:42 AM »
So with regard to short ribs, they are often packed with a few meaty ones mixed with some smaller pieces that are often tougher. Some may have lot of marbled fat and others may have larger gobs of fat. I try to select them as uniform as possible, large, meaty, with lots of marbled fat. .

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2015, 11:26:38 AM »
Fat does not gelatinize. The tough, collagenous, connective tissue in the flesh, when exposed to enough heat for enough time is converted to luscious gelatin. Too much time and heat can destroy the delicate gelatin leading to dry, stringy meat.   

Bill: Thanks for the correction and clarification.  In the direction of PrimeRib's question - do you see differences in the fat, gelatin or other (especially that would be unfavorable) when using sous vide instead of a more traditional approach in a smoker?
Mitch

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2015, 11:35:47 AM »
Bill: Thanks for the correction and clarification.  In the direction of PrimeRib's question - do you see differences in the fat, gelatin or other (especially that would be unfavorable) when using sous vide instead of a more traditional approach in a smoker?

Absolutely. A brisket (whole packer cut!) for 15-20 hours in a smoker is a very different animal than an SV rendition. Three very important things happen in the smoker:

1. Smoke flavor infused deep into the meat.
2. Collagen converted to gelatin for tender, juicy unctuousness.
3. Excess moisture very slowly driven off to given concentrated beefy flavor. Just compare the volume and mass of an uncooked brisket to one that has been in the smoker for 15+ hours. I measured starting weight, endging weight, and weight of juices (mostly fat) in the drip pan once and calculated ~30% loss. You do not get this effect in SV. Very different texture and flavor, IMHO.

The advantage of SV is that you can turn a relatively lean brisket flat into something luscious. Much harder to do this in the smoker. I'll take a whole packer-cut brisket from the smoker any day - but it is a lot more effort.

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2015, 12:22:28 PM »
Thanks Bill.

Although focussed more on corned beef, this article may be of interest.  He makes several pieces of brisket in sous vide at different temperature and time combinations.  Seems to like 180 for 10 hours.  He graphs out weight loss at the different points, shows the conversion to gelatin, and (you can't taste it, :)  ) the tenderness/moistiness.

I have had some good results with whole packers.  The point always comes out great and the flats are "iffy" at best.  That is why I decided to experiment with just a flat to see what would happen.  If I could learn the magic of making a good flat in the smoker, I would stick with that.  So, far, not so good.  :(
Mitch

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2015, 12:27:43 PM »
If I could learn the magic of making a good flat in the smoker, I would stick with that.  So, far, not so good.  :(

Try this: buy a packer cut. Cut along the fat vein the separates the point from the flat. Use the point for smoking or curing/smoking. Grind the flat for some of the best burgers in the world. Or use the flat for braises, stews, etc. in SV or pressure cooker, etc. This is what I usually do.

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2015, 12:37:46 PM »
Good idea.  The past couple of smoked brisket attempts resulted in something like that by default.
a We devoured the point
b ate some of the flat
c used the vast majority of the flat to make a smoked brisket chili. 

Everything was good and well used (well a and c were good).  Just frustrating.  I think burgers will be next!

Thx.
Mitch

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2015, 01:58:40 PM »
I did my first SV short ribs this week. I put a bit of garlic, thyme and black pepper in the bag with them. Cook time was 50 hours at 133F and then immediately browned with a Searzall (next time I think I'll deep fry them to brown). There were very tender and tasted great, but they had kind of an strange smell when I first opened the bag. To me it was a bit of a "bloody" smell. It mostly dissipated after browning. Nobody got sick, so I guess it was nothing bad. Served with green beans sauteed in rendered salt pork fat, caramelized tomato from the garden, and mashed potatoes. Cakebread Benchland Cab '07 to wash it down.

In the second picture, you can see the 'cellos waiting to be cut to 40%ABV and bottled. All the citrus is from the trees in my yard, so they have been sitting there for a while...
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2015, 08:51:38 PM »
I think that off smell is from the inability of the meat and other additions to naturally dissapate and concentrates in the bag, but as you noted, shortly after opening is fine. Open cooking OR covered, fills the kitchen with with great smells, sous vide.....not til it's opened, stays in the bag. Same with much of cryovaced meat when it's first opened. Makes sense to me anyway.

jon
Jon

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2015, 09:18:11 AM »
...but they had kind of an strange smell when I first opened the bag..

Check out the comments from this page, particularly the last few (starting with Elias) regarding lower temps;
http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/short-ribs-time-and-temp
Practice makes pizza

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2015, 10:16:06 AM »
SV is one fine way to cook salmon. These were brined for 10 minutes (next time I'll do 20) and cooked for 30 minutes at 122F. The skin was removed after cooking, broiled, then finished with the Searzall and a bit of salt. It's fish bacon.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage