A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator  (Read 71310 times)

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2014, 08:58:35 PM »
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2014, 12:06:58 AM »
The Anova has been going for 5.5 hours now and I've been up anyway so I have checked the temp with my Thermapen about 10 times and every time it has been 130-130.1F (mearsured at several spots in a 5 gallon kettle). The Anova has read solidly at 54.4C (130F), so it is thus far standing up to it's +- .01C accuracy claims! And you have to be standing right next to this thing to hear it running, SUPER smooth and quiet operation!

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2014, 12:35:57 AM »
The Anova has been going for 5.5 hours now and I've been up anyway so I have checked the temp with my Thermapen about 10 times and every time it has been 130-130.1F (mearsured at several spots in a 5 gallon kettle). The Anova has read solidly at 54.4C (130F), so it is thus far standing up to it's +- .01C accuracy claims! And you have to be standing right next to this thing to hear it running, SUPER smooth and quiet operation!

jon
Awesome...jus what I wanted to hear.......c'mon Fed Ex!! 
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2014, 12:46:10 AM »
Another thing for those that may not have picked up in the photos of the machine broken down/taken apart, is that it does NOT have a pump, but an impeller/prop to centrifuge the water. Thus, no need for distilled water as there are no internal parts in the water. Nothing gets pumped thru the machine.

jon
Jon

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2015, 06:47:52 PM »
On sale today for $99 on Amazon. Enter coupon at checkout "ANOVAONE".

Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator - 120V Circulator Cooker (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UET2UI2/?tag=pmak-20

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2015, 09:54:28 AM »

Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator - 120V Circulator Cooker (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UET2UI2/?tag=pmak-20

Thanks for posting that! I've been looking for an excuse to get one for a long time.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2015, 10:29:51 AM »

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2015, 10:38:52 AM »
There are a few differences between the original “One” and the new “Precision”.

The One is more powerful (1,000 watts vs 800 for the Precision), has better display/interface and can handle a larger amount of water.

The Precision has Bluetooth and a better clamp that also slides up and down allowing use in a shallower container than the One.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2015, 10:58:32 AM »
I own 2 of the Precision models as a KS backer. They are so good and precise that I have mothballed the DIY setup that I'd been using for many years. I'm just cooking "household" quantities and have never found the need for more than the 800 watts. Maybe the 1000 watt model would heat the water faster, but since the hot water out of my tap is very hot, it really isn't an issue. Once the bath is at SV temps, only a small amount of energy is required to maintain the desired temp.

I have never used the app.

Offline kiwipete

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2015, 06:25:49 PM »

Like Craig said: Thanks for posting that.  Been wanting one for quite some time now, and this gave me the perfect excuse!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2015, 08:03:17 PM »
My first sous vide attempt - the cheapest piece of beef I could find - select chuck @ $2.49/lb. 30 hours at 131F with a few peppercorns and garlic slices in the bag. It was as tender as you could ask for, but I was a bit underwhelmed with the flavor. I'll look for something with more fat next time. This piece was LEAN. Seared on a cast iron skillet after. Definitely better than making pot roast with the same cut of meat.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2015, 08:07:35 PM »
Here is the simple set-up - I was losing about 1/2cup water/hr until I put some Al foil over most of the pot then almost none.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2015, 09:20:53 PM »
NICE.....I do the same thing with foil or plastic wrap covered with a towel. Heats up to temp remarkable fast. Give the short ribs a go Craig, my favorite thing out of it, hands down!!!

jon
Jon

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2015, 09:59:09 PM »
Yep. Short ribs next week!

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2015, 12:08:58 AM »
Yep. Short ribs next week!

You'll love it. That collagen and connective tissue melts into that dense, creamy, gellatin stuff surrounded by hunks of meat.........I gotta get some soon. I liked them little pockets of soft tendon and collagen as much if not more than the meat. I know you know what I'm talking about, love that stuff. I'll be waiting to see your results.

jon
Jon

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2015, 07:44:00 AM »
One of my favorite ways to do beef short ribs - Korean Kal Bi. Just pop some short ribs and some of this mix into a pouch. Finish over coals or hit with a Searzall. Serve with sticky rice. This batch will go for 36 hours. I prefer a bit lower temp, but my wife prefers them this way.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2015, 10:19:46 AM »
Bill, are you using the clamp on the Anova, or just resting it in the hole?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2015, 10:22:28 AM »
Bill, are you using the clamp on the Anova, or just resting it in the hole?

Clamp. It almost fits perfectly on the Cambro.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2015, 02:41:56 PM »
Making chicken salad, en sous vide.

Cooking the chicken...Salt, pepper, tarragon and lemon.
150F for 2 hours for white meat.
160F for 2 hours for dark

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/sous-vide-chicken-salad.html
Practice makes pizza

Offline bradtri

« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2015, 04:44:58 PM »
Craig,
   I'm only mentioning this because I can't tell from your picture, but a Sous Vide in a flat bottom pot can and will crack a hard surface countertop.  If you aren't already, something underneath the pot will save you from my disaster.

Also, I've been putting the meat with marinade in the  bag overnight in the fridge and then just popping the bag in the Sous Vide and it really amps up the flavor.

A Taste of Naples Pizza
www.atasteofnaplespizza.com
https://www.facebook.com/ATasteofNaplesPizza/
"Let Us Bring A Taste of Naples To Your Next Party"

wordpress