A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator  (Read 71331 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator
« Reply #720 on: August 25, 2019, 12:28:50 PM »
Good eye Tony.  👀. 🤑
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #721 on: August 26, 2019, 02:59:08 AM »
Best deal you'll get is buy a whole chuck roll and break it down into it's different cuts. The extra trim grind into burger of cube for stews, soups and chili! Several videos on how to break down a whole chuck roll, well worth the effort!!!
Jon

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Irishboy

• Always do it with passion
« Reply #722 on: December 16, 2019, 05:22:23 PM »
Has anyone tried sous vide brisket? if so anybody have a recommendation on a temperature that will really render down the collagen? I've seen 155 get thrown around but just not that impressed compare to my smoker I'm just finding lack of motivation for getting up at 3 in the morning.
Josh

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #723 on: December 16, 2019, 08:47:41 PM »
I have not made brisket yet myself but have seen several that used 135 for 50 hours.
Hans

Offline boalpd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #724 on: December 17, 2019, 07:09:20 AM »
Im m doing 4 hours on pellet smoker at 180 degrees and 34 hours at 147 degrees. It yields a juicy, pull apart, tender brisket on the well done side of meat color. Sorry I dont have any pictures.
Phil

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #725 on: December 17, 2019, 10:59:42 AM »
Has anyone tried sous vide brisket? if so anybody have a recommendation on a temperature that will really render down the collagen? I've seen 155 get thrown around but just not that impressed compare to my smoker I'm just finding lack of motivation for getting up at 3 in the morning.

If you want it rendered down like traditionally probe tender, smoke it @ 250F-275F till it reaches 175F, then wrap it in BP, then vac seal it, then sous vide @175F for around 8-12 hours. You are basicly using the sous vide as a holding oven with the benefit of not losing any moisture. When you smoke a brisket tradtionally to 205F it goes from 175F to 205 in 4-8 hour window, and that temp range is what breaks the collagen down the most and gives you that probe tender texture but you end up losing a lot of moisture in the process. The reason i suggest wrapping in BP is it helps the bark stay on the meat, and wicks away what little amount of juice expels from the meat keeping the bark from getting soggy.

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #726 on: December 17, 2019, 12:39:33 PM »
If you want it rendered down like traditionally probe tender, smoke it @ 250F-275F till it reaches 175F, then wrap it in BP, then vac seal it, then sous vide @175F for around 8-12 hours. You are basicly using the sous vide as a holding oven with the benefit of not losing any moisture. When you smoke a brisket tradtionally to 205F it goes from 175F to 205 in 4-8 hour window, and that temp range is what breaks the collagen down the most and gives you that probe tender texture but you end up losing a lot of moisture in the process. The reason i suggest wrapping in BP is it helps the bark stay on the meat, and wicks away what little amount of juice expels from the meat keeping the bark from getting soggy.

I was thinking about doing that but not the butcher paper that's pretty interesting but wouldn't it still lose some oyster from The Purge of the sous vide and wouldn't the butcher paper get soggy? I know there's always a lot of purge coming out of cooked meats when I sous vide?

Do you by chance have any pictures of the finished product done this way?

You also feel that 175 is better for breaking down collagen than 165?

That's a pretty cool method and interesting
Josh

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #727 on: December 17, 2019, 01:58:26 PM »

I was thinking about doing that but not the butcher paper that's pretty interesting but wouldn't it still lose some oyster from The Purge of the sous vide and wouldn't the butcher paper get soggy? I know there's always a lot of purge coming out of cooked meats when I sous vide?

Do you by chance have any pictures of the finished product done this way?

You also feel that 175 is better for breaking down collagen than 165?

That's a pretty cool method and interesting

You dont have to use BP, i use it because my roll of vac bag material has a smooth side and a rough side that tends to take seasonings and in this case bark off of meats when removing it. The bp also works great for meats with bones like short ribs and spare ribs so the bones dont poke holes in the bags.

165F would work as well but takes a lot longer to get the same results. And i personally feel 175F breaks certain stubborn connective tissues down better.
Short clip of the last brisket me and the wife did with this method.
https://streamable.com/s/2b54s/wxwapc

I actually had turned down the sous vide from 175 to 135 for a few hours after the initial 8-12 hours due to timing restrictions and re wrapped the bisket in fresh BP and poped in the oven for 30 min at like 300F to dry the bark up a little.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 02:01:39 PM by FeCheF »

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #728 on: December 17, 2019, 03:26:39 PM »
You dont have to use BP, i use it because my roll of vac bag material has a smooth side and a rough side that tends to take seasonings and in this case bark off of meats when removing it. The bp also works great for meats with bones like short ribs and spare ribs so the bones dont poke holes in the bags.

165F would work as well but takes a lot longer to get the same results. And i personally feel 175F breaks certain stubborn connective tissues down better.
Short clip of the last brisket me and the wife did with this method.
https://streamable.com/s/2b54s/wxwapc

I actually had turned down the sous vide from 175 to 135 for a few hours after the initial 8-12 hours due to timing restrictions and re wrapped the bisket in fresh BP and poped in the oven for 30 min at like 300F to dry the bark up a little.

I love it!

Do u feel any negative effects if I smoked the day before to 175f then shock and bag and sous-vide the following day to 175f for 8-12hrs?

Or maybe do the whole process a few days before they reheat sous-vide to a certain warming temp the day of for a few hours to serve?

Any advice?

Josh

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #729 on: December 17, 2019, 03:52:31 PM »

I love it!

Do u feel any negative effects if I smoked the day before to 175f then shock and bag and sous-vide the following day to 175f for 8-12hrs?

Or maybe do the whole process a few days before they reheat sous-vide to a certain warming temp the day of for a few hours to serve?

Any advice?

I have quick chilled a lot of smoked meats to sous vide at a later date/time. No negative effects other then needing to add more time to bring the meat back up to the original temp it was chilled at. You can esily do the entire cook a day or two ahead, then quick chill and reheat back up to 135F for a hour or two, then wrap in BP and pop in the oven to "rejuvenate" the bark.

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #730 on: December 17, 2019, 04:31:02 PM »
I have quick chilled a lot of smoked meats to sous vide at a later date/time. No negative effects other then needing to add more time to bring the meat back up to the original temp it was chilled at. You can esily do the entire cook a day or two ahead, then quick chill and reheat back up to 135F for a hour or two, then wrap in BP and pop in the oven to "rejuvenate" the bark.

That sounds great thank you for this advice this is exactly what I was looking for and I'll have to say that is the best-looking sous vide brisket I have ever seen that's actually very impressive if it was just done on the smoker completely the lower temperatures just don't seem to give that probe tender look and feel one year I did 155 for 36 hours and it did not impress me I got a little heavy on the fat cap so that could have been one of the reasons I didn't think it was really needed with the sous vide
Josh

Offline Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #731 on: December 17, 2019, 04:45:04 PM »
SV has it's place. I'm not convinced "smoked brisket" is one of them. Sounds like a lot of extra work/time/mess, to gain what exactly?

Then again, I have not had SV brisket. And I'm willing to try anything once.

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #732 on: December 17, 2019, 06:46:57 PM »
SV has it's place. I'm not convinced "smoked brisket" is one of them. Sounds like a lot of extra work/time/mess, to gain what exactly?

Then again, I have not had SV brisket. And I'm willing to try anything once.

While I agree with you to some degree it does have its place for 1 like this instance where I could do the brisket a few days in advance then just drop it in the immersion circulator a few hours before serving time and I don't have to get up at 2 or 3 in the morning to put on the smoker and stoke the fire. Pretty much an easier way about doing things with more precision.

Just all depends what you're trying to get away with. I usually just do it all on the smoker but this time I don't feel like doing it because it's not going to fit my schedule. I would say that that is the main advantage but the proof would be in the end result if it's worth it?
Josh

Offline Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #733 on: December 17, 2019, 10:19:34 PM »
I gotcha. Makes sense, and I'm curious to hear what you think in the end.

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #734 on: December 17, 2019, 10:28:57 PM »
I gotcha. Makes sense, and I'm curious to hear what you think in the end.
Hopefully it works out good and we're all going to be satisfied for a Christmas dinner for many people. Lol

I'll post pictures of the results for everyone.
Josh

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #735 on: December 18, 2019, 08:09:27 AM »
I finally got round to getting a SV machine, or at least will get it as an xmas present, so will go through this thread soon ;D

We eat a lot of lamb, has anyone had much success with it?  I usually slow roast bone in shoulders for six hours or so and it's fine well done, but I'm quite looking forward to having it less done but just as much collagen/fat rendered down

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #736 on: December 18, 2019, 08:24:10 AM »
I finally got round to getting a SV machine, or at least will get it as an xmas present, so will go through this thread soon ;D

We eat a lot of lamb, has anyone had much success with it?  I usually slow roast bone in shoulders for six hours or so and it's fine well done, but I'm quite looking forward to having it less done but just as much collagen/fat rendered down

I have done a butterflied leg of lamb sous vide once. I served it med rare (133F) it was bland, but the marsala wine reduction sauce was the star of the show. In my opinion, meats that are better served in the rare to med-rare range are better done in an grill/oven using a reverse sear method or vise versa.

I would imagine well done for long periods of time using a lean meat like lamb would end up dry with a mealy texture.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 08:31:48 AM by FeCheF »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #737 on: December 18, 2019, 08:52:55 AM »

Moisture.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline wolfamongscrubs

• Slice of Life
« Reply #738 on: December 18, 2019, 10:14:43 AM »
I use the Anova to finish all my homemade venison bologna products now.  After stuffing, I smoke at very low heat for about 2 hours, then vac seal each ring or stick, and sous vide to bring them to final target temp.  Ice bath when they are done.  Best part is they are already vac sealed and ready for the freezer when they come out of the bath.

Good pizza takes days to make

Offline Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #739 on: December 18, 2019, 10:26:42 AM »
I use the Anova to finish all my homemade venison bologna products now.  After stuffing, I smoke at very low heat for about 2 hours, then vac seal each ring or stick, and sous vide to bring them to final target temp.  Ice bath when they are done.  Best part is they are already vac sealed and ready for the freezer when they come out of the bath.

I've briefly looked into doing this, as well as actually fermenting the SS in the SV for 24-48 hrs around 80 degrees.
Trying to figure out the best steps to get smoke, fermentation, and SS up to proper IT.

Do you end up with a wetter SS when you SV in vac sealed bags and go right into the freezer?