A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator  (Read 71217 times)

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator
« Reply #780 on: March 21, 2020, 10:47:50 PM »
^^^  That was nearly tortuous to watch but, man, did it look good! Thank you for sharing that Bill.

He's all tease, probably tasted like crap!!!😉🤣
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #781 on: March 21, 2020, 11:32:30 PM »
Bill was that a corned point or rubbed up in another blend, any details you can share?!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #782 on: March 21, 2020, 11:41:13 PM »
Bill was that a corned point or rubbed up in another blend, any details you can share?!

Plain old moderately trimmed brisket point. Ancho/chipotle marinade in the SV bag. Dried off, rubbed with coarse mustard, and seasoned with a little Dizzy Pig spice. Smoked until fork tender. Chopped and mixed with beer-braised cabbage/onion/garlic mustard. Wrapped in dough and baked in Breville as a kind of bierock. Shot a bunch of footage, but doubt I'll have the time to cut and post. 

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #783 on: March 22, 2020, 08:35:40 AM »
This was 4 hours smoke @175-200F + 70 hours SV at 135F + 4 hours smoke @ 200-225F. I actually noticed very little, if any, difference compared to brisket that was only SV for 40 hours vs 70.

Not as pull-apart as a brisket you'd get in a top place here in TX which are on the edge of falling apart on their own, but it will pull apart with just a slight pressure. The moisture is off the charts. I'll lose less than a half cup during the SV.

S&P only.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:37:35 AM by TXCraig1 »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #784 on: March 22, 2020, 08:44:51 AM »
I built this box out of pine, and it's fully lined with aluminized 3/4" foam insulation. The exposed cut foam edges are covered with a layer of silicone which also works as a gasket around the machine. Once up to temp, the Anova hardly has to heat it at all and it loses zero water to evaporation - even at higher temps. It's so efficient, I think I can go 2x this big and build one for a full-size deep container and still just run one Anova.

The bottom has a thin board with aluminium foil glued to it on top of the foam so that the weight of the water is evenly distributed. The plastic container is inset at the top, but the edges are slightly above the foam so that all the weight is on the bottom. The openings for the handles are necessary to get the container out when full of water and also provide for a space for the old-style Anova to mount.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:50:47 AM by TXCraig1 »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Online barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #785 on: March 22, 2020, 10:09:22 AM »
Craig, nice SV set up.  I have been smoking and SV for some time, though not with brisket.  The SV moisture and texture are great, but I found I needed to smoke before and after SV to get a good smoke flavor.   A major difference, for me, is that when I smoke St. Louis Cut ribs,  usually 6 to 7 hours,  they lose a lot of volume compared to SV with only 1 hour in the smoker.  I can easily eat quite a few ribs cooked just in the smoker, but only a few SV ribs, because they are more filling.  It is not quite the same as comparing a slice of ham to a slice of bacon, but it is not that far off.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #786 on: March 22, 2020, 10:33:14 AM »
I built this box out of pine, and it's fully lined with aluminized 3/4" foam insulation. The exposed cut foam edges are covered with a layer of silicone which also works as a gasket around the machine. Once up to temp, the Anova hardly has to heat it at all and it loses zero water to evaporation - even at higher temps. It's so efficient, I think I can go 2x this big and build one for a full-size deep container and still just run one Anova.

The bottom has a thin board with aluminium foil glued to it on top of the foam so that the weight of the water is evenly distributed. The plastic container is inset at the top, but the edges are slightly above the foam so that all the weight is on the bottom. The openings for the handles are necessary to get the container out when full of water and also provide for a space for the old-style Anova to mount.

I love that! And looks great too!!
Jon

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #787 on: March 22, 2020, 11:02:27 AM »
I love that! And looks great too!!
I think I'm going to put some flame graffiti on it one of these days. Something like this maybe:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 11:06:28 AM by TXCraig1 »

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #788 on: March 22, 2020, 12:07:28 PM »
To my eye, those briskets (Craig and bill's) look better than 99% of what I'm asked to judge at bbq contests. One of the tell-tale signs of a great brisket cook is the ability to slice thin.  As Craig says, it should need a little tug to tear.

Here's my favorite brisket story. I was completely buried with a trading project for Merrill Lynch, working 80 hour weeks while managing a 100 person team of Merril and our employees. A colleague called and asked if I could run a two-day workshop in Boston in a couple of weeks. I laughed, thinking about my schedule, and told him no way. I took him through my schedule, he agreed it seemed improbable. Closing out the call, he said:

"too bad,  the weather in Austin is nice this time of year"
"Austin, I thought you said Boston?"  I replied.
"No, we're in Austin texas"
"hold on", I said while I googled the distance of lockhart tx from the austin airport 
"I'll be there!"
"What about your project?"
"I'll figure something out, F your project, I'm coming for the brisket"

So it was two weeks later  I found myself in Lockhart tx eating the best brisket of my life. I managed to get to Kruetz, Smittys and Brown's the same day. Also took a drive down to lulling city market.

And, in the bad deeds go rewarded column, ML re-upped our contract  ;D
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #789 on: March 22, 2020, 10:45:12 PM »
Smoked Brisket Point.
SV @ 135F 24 hours. Smoker @ 250F for ~ 6 hours.

Could you please slice up another one for us Bill... in slow mo ?   :drool:

I can't find the loop button..... 🙈🍻
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #790 on: March 22, 2020, 10:55:56 PM »
This was 4 hours smoke @175-200F + 70 hours SV at 135F + 4 hours smoke @ 200-225F. I actually noticed very little, if any, difference compared to brisket that was only SV for 40 hours vs 70.

Not as pull-apart as a brisket you'd get in a top place here in TX which are on the edge of falling apart on their own, but it will pull apart with just a slight pressure. The moisture is off the charts. I'll lose less than a half cup during the SV.

S&P only.
   Bookmarked.... Thank you pizza pal!  🍸

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #791 on: March 22, 2020, 11:09:17 PM »
Soooo, i finally had to toss my 1st gen Anova! Housing was cracked near the clamp, blown fuse was bridged because Anova would not fix nor send a part.........what's the best bang for the buck for a replacement, new gen Anova or other equivalent? Presently my Instant Pot is subbing in, but obviously is limited in volume/capacity!
Thoughts.........?
Thanks!
Jon

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #792 on: March 22, 2020, 11:17:28 PM »
I have the second gen Anova. It works great. I once overfilled the pot and the unit took in water and crashed. I though it was a goner, but I let it dry out for a few days and it has worked well since. Mine is Bluetooth, but I notice the newer ones are WIFI except for the lowest end model. I never used the connectivity features, seems pointless.

Online FeCheF

« Reply #793 on: March 23, 2020, 01:47:47 AM »
Soooo, i finally had to toss my 1st gen Anova! Housing was cracked near the clamp, blown fuse was bridged because Anova would not fix nor send a part.........what's the best bang for the buck for a replacement, new gen Anova or other equivalent? Presently my Instant Pot is subbing in, but obviously is limited in volume/capacity!
Thoughts.........?
Thanks!

I have had my 1st gen Anova for 4+ years. Still works better then the 2nd i bought a year ago. The 2nd one is made of some cheap SS metal that is starting to show rust spots.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #794 on: March 23, 2020, 01:36:25 PM »
I took the dive and went for the Anova Cooker Pro! Website had a 25% off sale, so $299 from $399. Supposed to be heavier duty and at 1200 watts, touts a 10,000 hour continuous usage thing! Should be more durable than the 1st gen anyway!?

https://anovaculinary.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiey99pCx6AIVlI3ICh110gfTEAAYASAAEgLgnvD_BwE&utm_home_exp=home14us_www&utm_config=false
Jon

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #795 on: March 23, 2020, 02:03:32 PM »
"Watertight Control Board" - good choice! I would surely go for that if I had to replace mine as I previously mentioned my inadvertent water issue. All of these devices should be watertight electronics.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #796 on: March 23, 2020, 03:21:21 PM »
If I SV a grocery store pre brined, packaged corned beef.... Will it not shrink like it's been skinny dipping in a icey cold pool?   ;D

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #797 on: March 23, 2020, 03:24:47 PM »
I used an instant pot for ours, came out great, no real shrinkage, done in 80 mins.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #798 on: March 23, 2020, 03:24:49 PM »
If I SV a grocery store pre brined, packaged corned beef.... Will it not shrink like it's been skinny dipping in a icey cold pool?   ;D
One of the advantages to SV is that you can cook at low temps for long time frames and keep shrinkage in check. At my age skinny dipping in a pool of any temp is probably not a good thing.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #799 on: March 23, 2020, 04:45:27 PM »

Many have and had pretty good results. I did, very good, only rinsed, sous vided overnite then smoked 👍
Jon

wordpress