A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator  (Read 71974 times)

Offline mitchjg

Re: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2015, 09:22:59 PM »
Craig,
   I'm only mentioning this because I can't tell from your picture, but a Sous Vide in a flat bottom pot can and will crack a hard surface countertop.  If you aren't already, something underneath the pot will save you from my disaster.

Also, I've been putting the meat with marinade in the  bag overnight in the fridge and then just popping the bag in the Sous Vide and it really amps up the flavor.

Sorry that happened.  Can you share how that occurs?  A Sous Vide temperatures are around 140 ish.  How does that crack a counter?  What type of counter was this?
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Matthew

« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2015, 04:58:39 AM »
One of my favorite ways to do beef short ribs - Korean Kal Bi. Just pop some short ribs and some of this mix into a pouch. Finish over coals or hit with a Searzall. Serve with sticky rice. This batch will go for 36 hours. I prefer a bit lower temp, but my wife prefers them this way.

Bill,
Are you using a notched flip lid?  Is the yellow piece something that you made?  If so, what did you use?

Thx,
Matt

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2015, 06:51:29 AM »

Bill,
Are you using a notched flip lid?  Is the yellow piece something that you made?  If so, what did you use?

Thx,
Matt

Matt:

I got tired of fiddling with foil or plastic wrap, so I fashioned two of these lids from an old plastic cutting board rather than try to cut a notch into the more brittle (and expensive) sliding lids. Works perfectly to reduce evaporation and stays in place when I slide the lid open.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2015, 07:05:50 AM »
Genius Bill; I am happy to see you back!

Matt

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2015, 07:13:39 AM »
Thanks, Matt!

One other mod that I have found useful: I use a pair of Neodymium disc magnets for each pouch - one on the inside of the Cambro and the other on the outside - to keep them from clumping together. You can see that in the first photo I posted above.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2015, 07:25:46 AM »
Great tip; thank you.  I was wondering what it was.

Matt

Offline bradtri

« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2015, 02:01:58 PM »
Sorry that happened.  Can you share how that occurs?  A Sous Vide temperatures are around 140 ish.  How does that crack a counter?  What type of counter was this?

Hey Mitch,
  Well, it's a bit of a complicated story.  My countertops are quartz.  I use a stainless steel stockpot with an aluminum bottom.  I put on a batch of flank steak and set it to 134 for 24 hours.  After the meal, I happened to notice a crack in the countertop exactly where the stockpot with sous vide was at.  In a couple hours, after the countertop cooled down, the crack closed back up and was almost unnoticeable.  A couple days later though, I happened to look under the countertop and I could tell where an attempt to repair the crack previously had been done.  (my countertops had just been installed a month prior).  So, I then figured out in this case, the sous vide only exposed an existing crack.  The manufacturer agreed that they had delivered a countertop that was already cracked and replaced it for free. 

However, I did some research and found that this had happened to others, so I staged a test.  The company had provided a couple smaller pieces of the quartz to use as "cheese boards", so I set the stock pot with sous vide on it.  About two hours later, I heard a loud "pop" and went over and sure enough, the stone had cracked.

So, you would think that 135 degrees would be no big deal.  But, what happens is you are heating up a very specific area of the countertop while the surrounding area remains cool over a long period of time.  Eventually, the stress from the small, warm area trying to expand will force a crack.  Plus, the steel stock pot with the flat aluminum bottom is an extremely efficient conductor of heat to the countertop. 

From now on, I always put my sous vide set up on the stove or on top of a cutting board or trivet.  I looked up my warranty and it did exclude "cooking" on the countertop and specifically mentioned certain types of crock pots. 
A Taste of Naples Pizza
www.atasteofnaplespizza.com
https://www.facebook.com/ATasteofNaplesPizza/
"Let Us Bring A Taste of Naples To Your Next Party"

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2015, 09:06:14 PM »
Craig,
   I'm only mentioning this because I can't tell from your picture, but a Sous Vide in a flat bottom pot can and will crack a hard surface countertop.  If you aren't already, something underneath the pot will save you from my disaster.

Also, I've been putting the meat with marinade in the  bag overnight in the fridge and then just popping the bag in the Sous Vide and it really amps up the flavor.

I had a small towel under it.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2015, 09:36:03 PM »
Hey Mitch,
  Well, it's a bit of a complicated story.  My countertops are quartz.  I use a stainless steel stockpot with an aluminum bottom.  I put on a batch of flank steak and set it to 134 for 24 hours.  After the meal, I happened to notice a crack in the countertop exactly where the stockpot with sous vide was at.  In a couple hours, after the countertop cooled down, the crack closed back up and was almost unnoticeable.  A couple days later though, I happened to look under the countertop and I could tell where an attempt to repair the crack previously had been done.  (my countertops had just been installed a month prior).  So, I then figured out in this case, the sous vide only exposed an existing crack.  The manufacturer agreed that they had delivered a countertop that was already cracked and replaced it for free. 

However, I did some research and found that this had happened to others, so I staged a test.  The company had provided a couple smaller pieces of the quartz to use as "cheese boards", so I set the stock pot with sous vide on it.  About two hours later, I heard a loud "pop" and went over and sure enough, the stone had cracked.

So, you would think that 135 degrees would be no big deal.  But, what happens is you are heating up a very specific area of the countertop while the surrounding area remains cool over a long period of time.  Eventually, the stress from the small, warm area trying to expand will force a crack.  Plus, the steel stock pot with the flat aluminum bottom is an extremely efficient conductor of heat to the countertop. 

From now on, I always put my sous vide set up on the stove or on top of a cutting board or trivet.  I looked up my warranty and it did exclude "cooking" on the countertop and specifically mentioned certain types of crock pots.

I never would have thought that something like that could happen.  Sorry again.

My countertops are soapstone (the stuff they use in chem lab in high school).  It is supposed to be impervious to heat, blah blah.  Now, I dunno.  But, when I use my sous vide on the counter, it is in a big plastic Cambro bucket, no metal.   Maybe I will add a towel, too.

Thanks for the warning!

PS I just did a quick Google search.  First hit: http://www.home-style-choices.com/quartz-countertops.html  It says "Not Heat Tolerant
Although it's hard and feels like stone, quartz countertops aren't tolerant to a lot of heat. In other words, don't expect to put that hot pot or pan down on your quartz countertop without the possibility of some damage occurring. You'll need to use trivets and hot pads to protect the surface."
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 09:38:46 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2015, 01:00:25 PM »
Denver chuck roast, 2.3 lbs. Seasoned with Montreal seasoning and lemon pepper. Made a jus out of butter, 4 fat garlic cloves, some pinot and brandy reduced down and a little reconstituted beef base paste. All into a vacuum bag and in the Anova bath for 12 hrs at 130-131°. Now into an ice bath for a quick cool down and going over some blazing hot lump and hickory later tonite. Here's a couple pics so far.......

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2015, 08:49:30 PM »
Nice work on the chuck roast.  I have been doing the reverse because it is easier to fit in my schedule, but decided it is not working out all that well.  For pork ribs,  I had been applying a rub, resting, smoking for about 45 minutes, then into a bag and sous vide for about a day and a half, then eating or freezing for later.  I found that the long sous vide ending up diluting the smoke flavor.  I just did ribs tonight with sous vide first for a day and a half, smoked 45 minutes, then refrigerate and reheat ( sous vide for about 20 minutes ) and the smoke flavor is much more pronounced.   

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2015, 10:47:18 PM »
The final result. It was served with nuked Stove Top stuffing and nuked frozen corn, got lazy on the sides :-[  Steak was awesome though, reduced the jus a bit and tossed with the sliced meat, some nice buttered toast, put maybe a tsp of 57 sauce on the side, most went unused........YUM :drool:

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2015, 12:55:04 PM »
This thread motivated me to go at the sous vide again - it was a long time.  I have some short ribs going at 136.5 and my plan is 48 hours.  So far, all I have done is put on pepper and (lightly) salt.  I plan on searing them when they come out either in my broiler or on the grill.

Can you folks give me any suggestions on finishing spices/ sauces?  I found one recipe for 5 spice powder and honey.  I like it asian style and I like it sweet, but I am fearful the honey will burn and blacken like sugar. 

I thought that, perhaps, I would dust off the gas grill, fire up one side, finish them very hot on one side of the grill and then brush them with honey and put on the cooler side until the sauce sets and starts to caramelize.

Does not have to be asian style, just has to be good!!!!

BTW, here is my setup.  I simply cut the corner off of a Cambro lid where the machine goes.  So far, it has lost one pint (filled to the 10 qt line) in about 18 hours.

Thanks.

Mitch

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2015, 01:53:08 PM »
I didn't spend a lot of time looking but this looks pretty good, love lemon grass and I'd add some fish sauce too. Something you could certainly play with and 'ad lib' a bit

jon

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/asian-style-braised-short-ribs-recipe.html
Jon

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2015, 02:18:01 PM »
I made this modernist cuisine sauce once. I skipped browning ground beef for a little fat. I think I used some butter instead. Also used some shank i had instead of the beef knuckle. I thought the sauce was delicious (hell, it's got a whole bottle of wine reduced in it-how bad could it be?), but the short ribs I cooked were just so-so.

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/red-wine-glaze/

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2015, 11:13:49 AM »
Tomorrow this will be smoked beef cheek marmalade tartines with the fixin's:

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2015, 09:52:10 PM »
We had the Sous Vide Short Ribs (cooking away in reply #92 above) after they went for 50 hours at 136.5.  I shook a good amount of garlic salt on them and then grilled them on the gas grill for about 3 minutes or so.  Basted them with a BBQ sauce (not sweet) and let it set for another 3 or 4 minutes on low.

The good - The meat was done the way we like it, a nice medium rare.  Very, very tender and tasty.  Different than when I slow cook in the smoker  for 6 or 8 hours - I would say equally good.

The not so good - The ratio of meat to fat and bone was terribly low.  The meat that we had was like candy.  But, the amount was miniscule.  It made the overall expense high and too messy for guests.  I had better results, in terms of attractiveness/messiness with smoked ribs because the fat melts off more.

Anyway, I would definitley sous vide beef again, but I think I need to try another cut that will be tender and tasty but will not be a messy king's ransom.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome!

The first shot is without the bone but untrimmed of fat while the second is nicely trimmed for a plate we put away for our son.....

Mitch

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2015, 11:37:51 PM »
Sounds like you got some that were over trimmed, that's the way they usually are at a regular grocer. Get them from Sam's, Costco or RD, and ask to see them if you buy a case, they are usually untrimmed and very meaty. Some of those over trimmed one I've seen I wouldn't hardly get for soup bones for the prices they charge. Here's a pic of the last short ribs I did, 2nd is a pic of over trimmed ones with that nice meat cap taken off leaving you with only the meat between the bones

jon
Jon

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2015, 11:56:46 PM »
You folks inspired me, and these things were $50 off.  First attempt was a boneless rib eye.  Two hours at 130 deg.  Served up with a simple green sauce (parsley, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, S&P).  Pork belly next.....

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2015, 05:13:12 PM »
Sounds like you got some that were over trimmed, that's the way they usually are at a regular grocer. Get them from Sam's, Costco or RD, and ask to see them if you buy a case, they are usually untrimmed and very meaty. Some of those over trimmed one I've seen I wouldn't hardly get for soup bones for the prices they charge. Here's a pic of the last short ribs I did, 2nd is a pic of over trimmed ones with that nice meat cap taken off leaving you with only the meat between the bones

jon

Thanks Jon, that sounds right.  I will look around Costco and Cash & Carry to see what they have.  I may take a shot at a chuck roast like yours or, perhaps, some Tri Tip.
Mitch