A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator  (Read 71227 times)

Offline Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator
« Reply #740 on: December 18, 2019, 10:31:10 AM »
I have done a butterflied leg of lamb sous vide once. I served it med rare (133F) it was bland, but the marsala wine reduction sauce was the star of the show. In my opinion, meats that are better served in the rare to med-rare range are better done in an grill/oven using a reverse sear method or vise versa.

I would imagine well done for long periods of time using a lean meat like lamb would end up dry with a mealy texture.

Brother recently SV a venison roast for an extended period, going for med rare. It was tasteless, mealy mush. I have done one where I did it for a much shorter period ~6 hours, and finished on a grill and it was at least edible.. 

Offline wolfamongscrubs

• Slice of Life
« Reply #741 on: December 18, 2019, 10:37:26 AM »
I've briefly looked into doing this, as well as actually fermenting the SS in the SV for 24-48 hrs around 80 degrees.
Trying to figure out the best steps to get smoke, fermentation, and SS up to proper IT.

Do you end up with a wetter SS when you SV in vac sealed bags and go right into the freezer?

I never have issues with moisture (too much or too little).  I always use dry milk powder in my SS...which I believe helps retain moisture in the blend as well as act as a binding agent.  I've been doing that ever since I had a dry crumbly batch one time that was pretty much an embarrassment to serve to anyone.
Good pizza takes days to make

Offline TravisNTexas

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #742 on: December 18, 2019, 12:47:10 PM »
I use the Anova to finish all my homemade venison bologna products now.  After stuffing, I smoke at very low heat for about 2 hours, then vac seal each ring or stick, and sous vide to bring them to final target temp.  Ice bath when they are done.  Best part is they are already vac sealed and ready for the freezer when they come out of the bath.

That's an awesome idea, and one I had not heard of!  I picked up an Anova earlier in the year and have got to give that a try!
Cheers,
Travis

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #743 on: December 18, 2019, 02:40:18 PM »
I have done a butterflied leg of lamb sous vide once. I served it med rare (133F) it was bland, but the marsala wine reduction sauce was the star of the show. In my opinion, meats that are better served in the rare to med-rare range are better done in an grill/oven using a reverse sear method or vise versa.

I would imagine well done for long periods of time using a lean meat like lamb would end up dry with a mealy texture.
prime rib works good in sv....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #744 on: December 18, 2019, 06:21:22 PM »
prime rib works good in sv....

Yes, but prime rib isn't a lean meat. Even still, Prime rib roasts are much better done low and slow in a smoker, or oven. I mainly reserve sv for tough cuts like faux prime rib aka chuck roast. One exception is seafood, specificly salmon. Salmon SV @ 135F for 30 min is unreal.

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #745 on: December 18, 2019, 09:09:43 PM »
What do you put on your salmon when you SV?   I have a great recipe for salmon on a grill using paprika and brown sugar, and some spices, but not sure what I would put on it before going into the SV bag.  I have family coming into town in a few weeks, and SV salmon would be very convenient.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #746 on: December 18, 2019, 09:19:32 PM »
What do you put on your salmon when you SV?   I have a great recipe for salmon on a grill using paprika and brown sugar, and some spices, but not sure what I would put on it before going into the SV bag.  I have family coming into town in a few weeks, and SV salmon would be very convenient.

1 quart of water + 1/4 cup coarse Kosher salt. Brine for 1 hour. Pat dry and sprinkle fresh dill + 1 sprig on each salmon portion. Sous vide @ 135F for 30 min. Remove sprig of dill ,plate and top with hollandaise sauce. Serve with roasted asparagus and mashed potatoes.

I like to top the asparagus and mashed potatoes with hollandaise sauce. Yum

The best part of this dish is because of the brine and fairly low temp, you dont get much if any of that white stuff seaping out of the salmon, and the little bit that does is easily hidden by the drizzle of hollandaise. No need to pre or post sear. Simple, and delish.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 09:51:22 PM by FeCheF »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #747 on: December 18, 2019, 10:17:43 PM »
Yes, but prime rib isn't a lean meat. Even still, Prime rib roasts are much better done low and slow in a smoker, or oven. I mainly reserve sv for tough cuts like faux prime rib aka chuck roast. One exception is seafood, specificly salmon. Salmon SV @ 135F for 30 min is unreal.
oh...ok. thank you.

Offline Irishboy

• Always do it with passion
« Reply #748 on: December 18, 2019, 10:21:03 PM »
A question on this brisket cook? So basically I have found out I'm going to have to work up to the day of the party, I do have this weekend off so this is my chance to do the brisket do you recommend I just smoke it until 175 then vac-pac and store? Then sous vide the 175 on the day of the party?

Or should I go ahead and smoke and sous-vide this weekend then just reheat the day of the party?

I'm not sure if one of these methods will affect the juiciness and traditional melt in your mouth texture of brisket
Josh

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #749 on: December 18, 2019, 10:43:49 PM »
A question on this brisket cook? So basically I have found out I'm going to have to work up to the day of the party, I do have this weekend off so this is my chance to do the brisket do you recommend I just smoke it until 175 then vac-pac and store? Then sous vide the 175 on the day of the party?

Or should I go ahead and smoke and sous-vide this weekend then just reheat the day of the party?

I'm not sure if one of these methods will affect the juiciness and traditional melt in your mouth texture of brisket

The key is developing a bark before 175F. You can go 250F or hot and fast at around 275 to 300 and pull the brisket around 165F and immediate wrap in BP or foil and expect carry over to about 175F. At that point, you can choose to SV for 8-12 hours at 175F or chill and do 12-14 hours at 175F at a later date. I can't really explain this any easier. Bottom line, you need that 175F to break down those interconnective tissues and fat.

Keep in mind i am doing monster packers in the 15lb to 16lb range. I trim the outer fat agressively, and put a lot of rub on. My rub of choice is Plowboys Bovine Bold.

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #750 on: December 18, 2019, 11:40:50 PM »
The key is developing a bark before 175F. You can go 250F or hot and fast at around 275 to 300 and pull the brisket around 165F and immediate wrap in BP or foil and expect carry over to about 175F. At that point, you can choose to SV for 8-12 hours at 175F or chill and do 12-14 hours at 175F at a later date. I can't really explain this any easier. Bottom line, you need that 175F to break down those interconnective tissues and fat.

Keep in mind i am doing monster packers in the 15lb to 16lb range. I trim the outer fat agressively, and put a lot of rub on. My rub of choice is Plowboys Bovine Bold.

Cool exactly the answer I was looking for, I will do the 12 to 14 hours at a later date that will work perfectly with my schedule. I know some people say to do the whole process then shock and reheat later date at 135f, in my mind that probably wouldn't be the best results and I was leaning to something like you were saying just finish it the day of in the water bath at 175. I will lose some of my bark texture but I'm not really worried about that I could either reaffirm it up on the smoker or with my searzall.

I am also doing a 15 pound prime brisket, she's actually pretty good size where I'm going to have to use the ice chest as a vessel I might even daisy chain 2 circulators.

Wish I could have did it all in one shot but life gets in the way and that's the beautiful thing about sous vide.

I appreciate all your help and the knowledge you have passed down on the great method
Josh

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #751 on: December 19, 2019, 08:53:36 AM »

Cool exactly the answer I was looking for, I will do the 12 to 14 hours at a later date that will work perfectly with my schedule. I know some people say to do the whole process then shock and reheat later date at 135f, in my mind that probably wouldn't be the best results and I was leaning to something like you were saying just finish it the day of in the water bath at 175. I will lose some of my bark texture but I'm not really worried about that I could either reaffirm it up on the smoker or with my searzall.

I am also doing a 15 pound prime brisket, she's actually pretty good size where I'm going to have to use the ice chest as a vessel I might even daisy chain 2 circulators.

Wish I could have did it all in one shot but life gets in the way and that's the beautiful thing about sous vide.

I appreciate all your help and the knowledge you have passed down on the great method

If you are going to do the 175F SV the day of, play it safe and shoot for 12 hours instead of 8. And wrap in BP so the rub/bark stays on the brisket and doesnt end up mixing with the juices in the vac bag. I still suggest dropping the SV temp down to like 140F ish once the 12 hours is up for at least an hour (think of it as the resting period)

I think the searzall might work well but i would spray the bark after you pull it out of the SV bag with some cooking oil spray so the searzall doesnt burn the rub. You just want to basicly dry/firm the rub/bark up Thats about all the help i can give considering you are deviating from my method.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 08:55:26 AM by FeCheF »

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #752 on: December 19, 2019, 09:40:50 AM »
If you are going to do the 175F SV the day of, play it safe and shoot for 12 hours instead of 8. And wrap in BP so the rub/bark stays on the brisket and doesnt end up mixing with the juices in the vac bag. I still suggest dropping the SV temp down to like 140F ish once the 12 hours is up for at least an hour (think of it as the resting period)

I think the searzall might work well but i would spray the bark after you pull it out of the SV bag with some cooking oil spray so the searzall doesnt burn the rub. You just want to basicly dry/firm the rub/bark up Thats about all the help i can give considering you are deviating from my method.

I will do, thank you for the advice hopefully next time I could try your method fully unfortunately work gets in the way of this one. Not really too thrilled about having to do this ahead of time I always believed in fresher is better for the most part.
Josh

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #753 on: December 22, 2019, 09:01:35 PM »
Teriyaki Chicken sticks (just like, if not better then your local chinese takeout)
About 16 8 inch bamboo skewers (restaurant store cost about $2 for 100)
1lb boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1 inch strips ( i debone and remove skin myself)
1/4 cup Kikoman roasted garlic teriyaki marinade sauce
1/4 cup Kikoman Original teriyaki marinade sauce
1/4 tsp BTB roasted garlic base
1 TBSP honey
1/4 tsp minced ginger
1/4 tsp fine ground white pepper
1/2 tsp red powder food coloring
1/4 tsp orange powder food coloring

Poach ingredient: 1/2 cup Kikoman Original teriyaki marinade sauce

Combine everything BUT the poach ingredient to a bag and marinate for at least 12 hours in the fridge , 24 is better. Massage the bag every 6 to 8 hours. Thoroughly rinse until water runs clear, or close to it. Add 1oz to each skewer and place into a heavy duty ziplock bag. Once all skewers are in bag, dump 1/2 cup poach ingredient and submerge into sous vide. It should sink easily. Sous vide for 4 hours @ 165F. Remove and rinse each skewer again until water runs clear. Pat dry with paper towels and deep fry at 350F for 1-2 minutes depending on how much char you like.

NOTE: You can substitute the BTB roasted garlic base and the 1/4 cup original teriyaki sauce for another 1/4 cup of roasted garlic teriyaki sauce , or substitute the roasted garlic teriyaki for all original teriyaki and 1/2 tsp of the BTB roasted garlic teriyaki sauce. The reason i use half and half is the roasted garlic teriyaki (purple bottle) is expensive and only comes in small bottles. The Original teriyaki can be bought in 1 Gallon jugs for like $10. Where the purple roasted garlic teriyaki cost about $3 for a 10oz bottle. The stuff is amazing though. LOL.

I dont have any pics of the process, but i do have about 50 sticks that are post sous vide and packaged in the freezer. I will return to this thread with some pics of the sous vide sticks before and after a 1-2 minute bath in the deep fryer. Words just dont do my recipe justice.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 10:23:32 PM by FeCheF »

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #754 on: December 22, 2019, 09:39:16 PM »
Not really too thrilled about having to do this ahead of time I always believed in fresher is better for the most part.
I have changed my mind on that for braises after seeing an almost unwatachbly hokey Alton Brown episode twice. In it, he generally says tenderness increases if you finish the braise, cool then chill the meat and liquids, and gently reheat several hours later or the next day. Iíve found it to be true for pot roasts. The funny part is I often donít have time (or have not planned accordingly) to do it this way. It is good though so I think and hope yours will be too.
-Tony

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #755 on: December 22, 2019, 10:19:16 PM »
I have changed my mind on that for braises after seeing an almost unwatachbly hokey Alton Brown episode twice. In it, he generally says tenderness increases if you finish the braise, cool then chill the meat and liquids, and gently reheat several hours later or the next day. Iíve found it to be true for pot roasts. The funny part is I often donít have time (or have not planned accordingly) to do it this way. It is good though so I think and hope yours will be too.
interesting! Hopefully that works out for me
Josh

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #756 on: December 27, 2019, 10:50:17 PM »
Well here it goes,
Smoked until bark was set (couldn't scratch it off with my fingernail) which by the way was 170-175f

Now getting ready for the water bath for tomorrow.
Josh

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #757 on: December 27, 2019, 10:57:49 PM »
Well here it goes,
Smoked until bark was set (couldn't scratch it off with my fingernail) which by the way was 170-175f

Now getting ready for the water bath for tomorrow.
   So far so good... I'm anxious to see how this turns out. 🍻
That bark will be a lil wet.... Final finish on a hot grill with BBQ sauce added basted on last couple minutes might be a good way to go?    :chef:

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #758 on: December 27, 2019, 11:10:24 PM »
   So far so good... I'm anxious to see how this turns out. 🍻
That bark will be a lil wet.... Final finish on a hot grill with BBQ sauce added basted on last couple minutes might be a good way to go?    :chef:

Ya or >:D
Josh

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #759 on: December 27, 2019, 11:52:40 PM »
I see you also have a Big Easy! What kind of burner wand do you have lying there?
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

wordpress