A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator  (Read 71214 times)

Offline Irishboy

• Always do it with passion
Re: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator
« Reply #760 on: December 28, 2019, 12:35:42 AM »
I see you also have a Big Easy! What kind of burner wand do you have lying there?

Yeah I have the propane big easy to be honest if you don't really use it that much, I usually use my pellet grill now but we'll use it for chickens and stuff like that.

That torch is from harbor freight it works amazing and very cheap
Josh

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #761 on: December 28, 2019, 01:47:37 PM »
The kind you can bring back da bark with... Good ole harbor freight!!  🍻
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #762 on: December 28, 2019, 02:28:36 PM »

Yeah I have the propane big easy to be honest if you don't really use it that much, I usually use my pellet grill now but we'll use it for chickens and stuff like that.

That torch is from harbor freight it works amazing and very cheap

I like mine a lot! Great for smaller batches that I don't want to start The Beast up for!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #763 on: December 28, 2019, 10:25:10 PM »
Sous vide brisket wasn't a hit for me again, like last year when I did it the flat was dry the point was better but not comparable to when I do it on the smoker.

It was the right fit for me at this point because I wasn't able to be home.
Josh

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #764 on: December 28, 2019, 10:31:46 PM »
Sous vide brisket wasn't a hit for me again, like last year when I did it the flat was dry the point was better but not comparable to when I do it on the smoker.

Sorry to hear that as I have been looking forward to seeing your results. Thanks for taking one for the team. I hope it was an otherwise enjoyable evening.
-Tony

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #765 on: December 28, 2019, 10:55:47 PM »

Sorry to hear it didn't give you the results you wanted. It looks pretty good from my view. Where did you probe the flat? I usually probe the flat in the middle somewhere between the thinest and thickest section. Sometimes i have had to cut the flat off before the point reached 175F. My guess is the thin part of the flat went well above 175F and would have been dry regardless of sous vide temp/time.

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #766 on: December 29, 2019, 12:31:54 AM »
Sorry to hear it didn't give you the results you wanted. It looks pretty good from my view. Where did you probe the flat? I usually probe the flat in the middle somewhere between the thinest and thickest section. Sometimes i have had to cut the flat off before the point reached 175F. My guess is the thin part of the flat went well above 175F and would have been dry regardless of sous vide temp/time.

I think you are correct the flat obviously got dried out and I am almost 100% positive the tip of the flat definitely got to a higher internal temperature than the thickest part of the flat (I probed between the point in the flat and another in the semi thick area of the flat.)

With that being said I have done a decent share on the smoker with no problems wrapping around that internal temperature.

Last year I did one at 155 for 36 hours and it was the same outcome. I have no doubt that I messed up somewhere from my lack of experience with sous-vide.

by the way it was just a flat the point wasn't as bad.

Obviously plenty of people have had great luck including you, I just rather play it safe next event.

If I tried it again I think I would either do two things different one sous-vide 1st then hit it with smoke on the tail end.

But mainly I think I would try hey more lower temperature like 135 for a great longer time to get it medium rare brisket and have that experience. To me that's where it would really shine because there's no way you could eat tender brisket at that temperature.

I'm not sure if if that would really render given enough time at that temperature?

Regardless unfortunately I had some family emergency come up and I would have had to toss it anyways so the sous vide saved the day anyway

This is what I was hoping to replicate on the smoker.

To be clear again for everyone I think both times it was lack of experience on my end the first time I made pizza was also a epic fail it definitely took practice and a learning curve, even though a lot of people in here made it look easy.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 12:36:56 AM by Irishboy »
Josh

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #767 on: December 29, 2019, 12:39:58 AM »
I always do a reverse cook...SV first at a temp that gives me a lil wiggle room for the relatively quick time in the smoker. You can get a lot of smoke on anything in an hour or less....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #768 on: December 29, 2019, 12:54:01 AM »
I always do a reverse cook...SV first at a temp that gives me a lil wiggle room for the relatively quick time in the smoker. You can get a lot of smoke on anything in an hour or less....

I think that method would be more reliable for me because I could always cut off a piece and check the doneness before even touching the smoker to narrow down the issue. If it's dry read out of the water bath then that tells me where the problem is if not then that also tells me where the problem is.

FYI everybody said good things about it I am definitely my own worst critic but I also know pi track record what I've done in the past on previous brisket
Josh

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #769 on: January 04, 2020, 02:31:27 PM »
Pork butts (deboned)

- Hard apple cider brine for 48 hours
- Smoked to 160F
- SV 135 for ~20 hours
- Searzall

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #770 on: January 04, 2020, 03:31:45 PM »
Pork butts (deboned)

- Hard apple cider brine for 48 hours
- Smoked to 160F
- SV 135 for ~20 hours
- Searzall
Beautiful. I bet that made a lot of people happy!
-Tony

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #771 on: January 04, 2020, 03:37:56 PM »
You betcha. A quick shot of some slices before they all disappeared:

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #772 on: January 05, 2020, 12:22:22 AM »
You betcha. A quick shot of some slices before they all disappeared:
I would like to try a serving of that with a warm fennel slaw. It looks tasty and tender.
-Tony

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #773 on: January 12, 2020, 02:32:35 AM »
Char Sui

Sous vide 6 - 8 hours 165F Then deep fry for 3 minutes. I havent deep fried them yet, they are in the fridge till tommorow. A few will get deep fried, the rest will get wrapped and saved for SB Sunday.

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #774 on: January 12, 2020, 07:50:41 AM »
This was my first go at sous vide a few days ago-  Bought a loin roast that was reduced and cut it into 3 large 15oz chops. 60c for 3 hours for this one, was very succulent and tender. Could have seared it a bit better, but the best cooked pork chop i have made  ;D

Also got a bunch of lids for the mason jars i found in my attic, so made three simple vanilla cheesecake jars today, will see how they end up. One lid leaked a bit

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #775 on: January 12, 2020, 10:10:13 AM »
This was my first go at sous vide a few days ago-  Bought a loin roast that was reduced and cut it into 3 large 15oz chops. 60c for 3 hours for this one, was very succulent and tender. Could have seared it a bit better, but the best cooked pork chop i have made  ;D
Every time I SV pork I feel like you did. In addition to having the confidence the temp will be enough without being too much, SV makes just about any piece of pork, as you said, succulent and tender. When I plan far enough ahead brining improves the flavor even more. Yours looks great!
-Tony

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #776 on: January 12, 2020, 10:50:56 AM »
Thanks! I was expecting it to be better than the last chops i made which were about a half inch thick and rather dry :-D but not as good as they were.

Trying some carrots and fennel tonight to go with a venison stew, first time trying vegetables in it.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #777 on: March 21, 2020, 08:03:50 PM »
Smoked Brisket Point.
SV @ 135F 24 hours. Smoker @ 250F for ~ 6 hours.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #778 on: March 21, 2020, 09:59:02 PM »
Ohhh my....I think I went into some kind of fugue state, then woke up in drool!!!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #779 on: March 21, 2020, 10:45:05 PM »
Ohhh my....I think I went into some kind of fugue state, then woke up in drool!!!!!
^^^  That was nearly tortuous to watch but, man, did it look good! Thank you for sharing that Bill.
-Tony