Author Topic: Inverted's Pie Barn  (Read 14443 times)

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
Re: Inverted's Pie Barn
« Reply #450 on: November 26, 2016, 05:26:14 PM »
I think Norma showed me/us a picture of a Cracker Barrel cheddar that was closest retail cheese to what she uses. Might be the white cheddar in the black packaging. Or maybe it was green. I'll try to remember where that was and do a search later this evening.   

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #451 on: November 28, 2016, 08:21:11 AM »
I recall Norma saying she tried a bunch of cheddars before landing on the one she uses at market. I'll have to keep my eyes out for mild white cheddar and see if I see anything.

Ryan,

If you might be interested in trying all white cheddar, there is a white cheddar that is very close to what I use at market.  It is cracker barrel sharp white cheddar.  It really isn't sharp although it says it is on the package.  The mild white cheddar I use at market is also labeled sharp when my distributor sells it for retail.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cracker-Barrel-Vermont-Sharp-White-Cheese-8-oz/20550648 and  http://www.target.com/p/cracker-barrel-vermont-sharp-white-cheddar-cheese-8-oz/-/A-12955120  It goes on sale around our area many times.  I used that on boardwalk pies and it melts almost like the cheddar at market.

Norma

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #452 on: November 28, 2016, 08:38:24 AM »
Ryan,

If you might be interested in trying all white cheddar, there is a white cheddar that is very close to what I use at market.  It is cracker barrel sharp white cheddar.  It really isn't sharp although it says it is on the package.  The mild white cheddar I use at market is also labeled sharp when my distributor sells it for retail.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cracker-Barrel-Vermont-Sharp-White-Cheese-8-oz/20550648 and  http://www.target.com/p/cracker-barrel-vermont-sharp-white-cheddar-cheese-8-oz/-/A-12955120  It goes on sale around our area many times.  I used that on boardwalk pies and it melts almost like the cheddar at market.

Norma

Perfect! Thank you - I'm almost positive I've seen it at Albertsons.
Ryan

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #453 on: November 28, 2016, 01:11:46 PM »
 :)  That's what I've been using and I like it a lot...I didn't even know I was using the right stuff!

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #454 on: December 03, 2016, 10:22:50 AM »
Ryan or anyone, we were talking briefly about Fontina. I got some a while back. What's the common or proper way to use Fontina for pizza? would it be best to use the very fine shaven-shred like Parmesan or pecorino, or would I do bigger shreds and use it like I would when I use sharp aged Cheddars for flavor accent?

btw - today we try 15-20g of aged Gouda. :)

Thanks,

Roy

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #455 on: December 03, 2016, 11:25:56 AM »
Roy......I hope Ryan doesn't mind me posting a link to a video in his thread.....I like to use chunks or cubes of fontina like the guy in this video does.

Bob

Offline Ovenray

« Reply #456 on: December 03, 2016, 11:50:10 AM »
In the video the chef said "in Naples the middle of the pie is like a soup" and that is exactly the experience I have with my own home-oven cooked 'Margherita' when using fresh mozz with an uncooked sauce. I used to dry the mozz between paper towels but somewhere along I decided that wasnt giving me the best results, the moisture really belongs on the pie.
I'm grateful for all things learned.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #457 on: December 03, 2016, 12:19:01 PM »
No way Bob, thanks for posting!
Ryan

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #458 on: December 03, 2016, 05:38:10 PM »
Precursor to my boardwalk test... I haven't done any shopping so this is all from stuff laying around the house. mozzarella, Asiago, cheddar, reggiano. Baked for 9 minutes on screen on the center rack. Thanks for looking

Ryan

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #459 on: December 03, 2016, 05:45:37 PM »
Hi Ryan, that looks really good - wondering what temp you cook at - when I do a bake any longer than 7 min my crust seems to (begins to) dry out too much - did you experience that with this 9 min bake - did you use a lot of oil and sugar to brown at a lower temp and keep the crust moist?

Thanks for any info you can provide!
Norm

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #460 on: December 03, 2016, 06:10:31 PM »
Hi Ryan, that looks really good - wondering what temp you cook at - when I do a bake any longer than 7 min my crust seems to (begins to) dry out too much - did you experience that with this 9 min bake - did you use a lot of oil and sugar to brown at a lower temp and keep the crust moist?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Hi Norm  :) - 1% sugar 1% LDM 2% oil 55% water
I bake at full blast  ;D 550
I just checked the leftover slices and if you push on the crust it springs right back up. Not brittle or crackly. You can see in the slice shot it's not a cracker either since it contours to the plate. Your oven may be hotter, perhaps convection? You also have the reduced size baking chamber to accommodate for the double oven range which might help.  I have to be careful if I use the broiler because it can dry out the crust quickly. I didn't get great top browning though, despite baking on the center rack. My top browning is so hit or miss. I need to re-read this thread and see what I was doing earlier lol.
Ryan

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #461 on: December 03, 2016, 09:11:50 PM »
Roy......I hope Ryan doesn't mind me posting a link to a video in his thread.....I like to use chunks or cubes of fontina like the guy in this video does.

Thanks for the link and tip, Bob! What's your favorite moz to Fotina ratio?

Roy

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #462 on: December 03, 2016, 09:20:41 PM »
Precursor to my boardwalk test... I haven't done any shopping so this is all from stuff laying around the house. mozzarella, Asiago, cheddar, reggiano. Baked for 9 minutes on screen on the center rack. Thanks for looking
Ryan, that looks quite nice. Still dialed in.  :chef:  I love the bottom. No soaking through or nothing. Nice. Probably held up very well.

I know this is a tough question to answer just because of the limitations of the written word, but how's the crisp layer on the screen? You obviously have enough lift to support the toppings. 

Roy

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #463 on: December 03, 2016, 11:06:08 PM »
Ryan, that looks quite nice. Still dialed in.  :chef:  I love the bottom. No soaking through or nothing. Nice. Probably held up very well.

I know this is a tough question to answer just because of the limitations of the written word, but how's the crisp layer on the screen? You obviously have enough lift to support the toppings. 

Roy

I had a nice stretch today, no real thin spots, even with 2 tosses. My opening isn't always so even, but I lucked out today.

This one right here was certainly a crispy one. Just enough give to not be an arrow, pretty sturdy. I'm not sure if it's a function of the screen or just the way it extends bake time that helps deliver that crunch. I also let it rest for 5 min on a cooling rack. I'm going to mess with smaller stone baked pizzas again next bake to think about it more and the texture. Dough is already in the fridge   ::)

Ryan

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #464 on: December 04, 2016, 09:01:15 AM »
I had a nice stretch today, no real thin spots, even with 2 tosses. My opening isn't always so even, but I lucked out today.

This one right here was certainly a crispy one. Just enough give to not be an arrow, pretty sturdy. I'm not sure if it's a function of the screen or just the way it extends bake time that helps deliver that crunch. I also let it rest for 5 min on a cooling rack. I'm going to mess with smaller stone baked pizzas again next bake to think about it more and the texture. Dough is already in the fridge   ::)
It's hard to get crispy or crunchy on on smaller pies. Seems like an arrow is inveitable for me by the time the 3rd slice is bitten into. I do like a little dip and crunch at same time. Happy times.  :drool:

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #465 on: December 04, 2016, 10:16:27 PM »
14" baked on stone. 4 oz cheese
Ryan

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #466 on: December 05, 2016, 07:06:46 AM »
It's hard to get crispy or crunchy on on smaller pies. Seems like an arrow is inveitable for me by the time the 3rd slice is bitten into. I do like a little dip and crunch at same time. Happy times.  :drool:
I left out an important part of that sentance. What I tried and failed to say was that it;s hard to get crisy and crunchy and get a big dip on smaller pies.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:13:38 AM by rparker »

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #467 on: December 05, 2016, 07:12:18 AM »
Ryan, those pies look very nice. I want some. Did you have to change much due to the stone verses screen, or notice any massive changes?

Man, you got this NY Slice style going on. :chef: :chef:

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #468 on: December 05, 2016, 12:04:27 PM »
I left out an important part of that sentance. What I tried and failed to say was that it;s hard to get crisy and crunchy and get a big dip on smaller pies.

I know exactly what you mean, the smaller slices have less weight to support.

Ryan, those pies look very nice. I want some. Did you have to change much due to the stone verses screen, or notice any massive changes?

Man, you got this NY Slice style going on. :chef: :chef:

Thanks Roy  :)
I didn't use any malt and only 1% sugar, that's the only change I made but I think it would have been fine with 1% malt too. The under crust could have used more color, but the texture and flavor did taste quite nice. Will have to make some more pies to compare. I wouldn't be surprised if I prefer the stone in the end. Like cooking a flour tortilla, theres probably some magic in the initial surge of heat.
I think I got a pretty nice melt on the cheese pizza, the sauce and cheese boil kicks in much sooner. It probably effects sauce flavor. I was a little nervous about launching... haven't done it for a while but did okay.
Ryan