Author Topic: Switching Flour - Changes?  (Read 203 times)

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
Switching Flour - Changes?
« on: January 14, 2017, 10:37:14 AM »
I know I've asked bits of this within another thread before, but it was buried and was perhaps incomplete to begin with. I hope asking this as a thread is OK.

I'm turning my focus towards different flour brands for my next set of NY tests. the question I have is more of a general type of question. Not a NY specific question. More of a mini-poll, really. Many here use various brands of flour. I was hoping that some of you had made the jumps that I will make in the coming weeks and hopefully give me a bit of a head start.

I want to know if going from one flour to another, or back, what changes you would make (or have made) to hydration levels and mix/kneading times. Any other changes you've made, too.  The flour I've used for almost a year is All Trumps, Bromated and Bleached. I will be trying:

Full Strength
KABF
Pillsbury Bread Flour

I may add others to the list, like the high protein King Arthur entry. Sir Lancelot, IIRC. Perhaps even another go at a re-packaged Caputo NY again. I may also make a selection at the Restaurant Depot for a high gluten un-bromated flour other than what I've mentioned.

I've tried Full Strength(FS) in the past and found it t be very thirsty. I think it's supposed to actually take les water to hydrate, but I seem to remember bumping it up 1%. Going to the others listed, I have tried the Pillsbury flour once with an older version of my method and missed my mark due more to user error than anything else, I suspect. I've not tried KABF.

Thanks in advance,

Roy

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
Re: Switching Flour - Changes?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 08:48:56 AM »
I've used KABF and Pillsbury bread flour.

I prefer KABF by a big margin.

Softer crumb
More oven spring
Tastier overall
Better browning

I would keep the mixing and hydration the same and see where you end up.
The only time I use Gold Medal Bread flour is when I do steel bakes with broiler.

To me KABF gets too soft Gold Medal is just right

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 08:53:00 AM »
Never mind, I confused Gold medal with Pillsbury.

Thought they where one in the same.

With that being said, I only used Gold Medal and KABF

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 11:25:32 AM »
Never mind, I confused Gold medal with Pillsbury.

Thought they where one in the same.

With that being said, I only used Gold Medal and KABF
General Mills acquired Pillsbury several years ago. They kept both brands. It's still confusing but it keeps their facings or shelf space high. I use UBAP and bread flour both Gold Metal.

I'm interested in this thread too as I have not done much experimenting among other AP and bread flours.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 11:51:23 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts so far, folks. If anyone is interested, feel free to expand to and from whatever flours you feel like.

I've done a ton of flour experimenting in the past, but never had a formulation and method with any sort of acceptable consistency batch to batch. As such, I can't rely on any specifics I got from it all. Some generalities, sure, but not so many specifics.

Online The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 12:53:06 PM »
There are great differences, aside from the obvious, between hockey pucks and flour. The main difference is that hockey pucks are always the same while flour  is in a continual state of flux (it keeps changing). Flour changes from one milling lot to another within a brand name and flour with the same general properties from one manufacturer to another will also change, add to that differences in protein level, where the flour was stored, how long it was stored and the temperature at which it was stored can add up to some pretty significant differences in performance. This is the reason why I always suggest that when changing to a different flour start out using the same absorption, pay attention to the way the dough mixes, handles, and performs all the way through being made into a finished crust and then ask yourself it the new flour is handling the same as your old flour had, if not, a change in absorption is probably needed to bring the new flour into alignment with your dough management procedure.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 01:45:53 PM »
General Mills acquired Pillsbury several years ago. They kept both brands. It's still confusing but it keeps their facings or shelf space high. I use UBAP and bread flour both Gold Medal.

I'm interested in this thread too as I have not done much experimenting among other AP and bread flours.
Tony,

You are part right on Pillsbury. If you look at the Pillsbury entries in the flour list at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=40212.msg401012#msg401012, you will see that the foodservice side of Pillsbury remained with General Mills, whereas the consumer Pillsbury flours are now part of the JM Smucker portfolio of products.

Peter

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 02:09:20 PM »
Tony,

You are part right on Pillsbury. If you look at the Pillsbury entries in the flour list at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=40212.msg401012#msg401012, you will see that the foodservice side of Pillsbury remained with General Mills, whereas the consumer Pillsbury flours are now part of the JM Smucker portfolio of products.

Peter
Good catch. I see now they triangulated with IMF and Smuckers sometime after the original acquisition around 2000. I'm sure it helped keep the anti-trust folks at bay. GIS still has other Pillsbury branded products in the refrigerated case section. It's still a little hard for me to believe that GIS got PB.

Tom/TDD made some great points, not surprisingly.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 02:17:59 PM »
Good catch. I see now they triangulated with IMF and Smuckers sometime after the original acquisition around 2000. I'm sure it helped keep the anti-trust folks at bay. GIS still has other Pillsbury branded products in the refrigerated case section. It's still a little hard for me to believe that GIS got PB.
Tony,

It can get a bit confusing. If you go to the General Mills website and type in Pillsbury in the search box, you will find a large number of Pillsbury products on the retail side. See, for example, the many Pillsbury bake products at http://www.generalmillscf.com/SearchResults?term=pillsbury&termDataSource=d6fb75f5-d19a-49cd-9ba0-c10a6e45afb2.

Peter

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 02:57:06 PM »
Tom/TDD made some great points, not surprisingly.
Indeed he does. I still encourage folks to post if they chose to do so. It helps to couple things that some folks have done with the guidelines Tom put forth. It helps me to circle back around or to visualize things maybe a little better. Maybe a confluence, of sorts, of theory, practice and reality?