A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: How can I make my dough puff like this?  (Read 371 times)

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
How can I make my dough puff like this?
« on: April 13, 2017, 02:26:28 AM »
I've been making pizzas at higher temps for a couple of weeks now and little by little I've been getting better. I do manage to get about 700 to 800 degree floor temps with close to 1000 ceiling temps and I love how my crust puffs ridiculously when I use 00 flour.

Then the wife comes and says "hey! you are so into pizzas right now, right? then why don't we make this at home since you have the equipment and ingredients?"

It's a place in NY that makes Neapolitan style pizzas but they also have crazy desserts and one of those is a pizza ice cream sandwich. In the video you can see he is using probably bread dough on a wood fire oven and the way it puffs in there is crazy. You can see the shape he gives his dough before it goes on the oven and I am pretty sure if I shape it like that it won't puff that way. It becomes like a football, completely hollow on the inside, then they make a hole in it and add all sorts of things that shouldn't go in there... like popcorn and ice cream and toffee... the wife now challenged me, she said she will take care of the filling, she will even make some toffee but I have to get the bread to puff like that.

How can I do this?

One problem will be that in my kettle pizza, the mouth of the "oven" isn't that big and the ceiling isn't that high, especially because I am using the baking steel attachment. I could remove that attachment and the ceiling would be high enough but the top heat would be horrible and the bread just wouldn't puff, so I need the baking steel to reach the crazy 900+ degree temps but when I use the baking steel up top, my setup basically looks like this.

https://kettlepizza.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/kp-set-steel.jpg

You can tell there isn't much height. It still should be enough, maybe I'll have trouble removing it from the mouth of the oven but I'll figure something out, my real issue is I don't know how to make it puff like that, I figure I would use a regular caputo recipe, last time I made pizza I went with this recipe and followed it to the letter with an electric scale. https://www.fornobravo.com/pizza-oven-library/article/pizza-sequence/pizza-dough/

It was delicious and the outer crust of the pizza puffed like crazy, so I know I can pull it off, I just have no idea where to begin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! And when we do make that thing and it resembles something edible I will post the pictures of it here to see what you guys think!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 02:28:43 AM by kuhne »

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
Re: How can I make my dough puff like this?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 06:14:07 AM »
High hydration, no toppings, very high heat.

Shouldn't be to hard.

How high is the ceiling?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 06:16:04 AM by Minolta Rokkor »

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 01:48:14 PM »
High hydration, no toppings, very high heat.

Shouldn't be to hard.

How high is the ceiling?

Thanks! The ceiling is not very high, it's designed for pizzas only but it should be high enough for a loaf like that to fit. Here is a picture of my setup, you can give yourself an idea of the size. The ceiling is pretty much where the letters in the front end, you can see the flames hitting it directly. The ceiling is not the outer dome, it's not that high.

So high hydration is the trick? Any recommendation? A specific recipe?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 01:49:58 PM by kuhne »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 01:55:24 PM »
There really is no trick to it. Just do like you see in the video - open the ball by pressing - not stretching. I don't know where the hydration cutoff is, but I'm typically at 62%, and it will puff like that no problem. Just make a typical Neapolitan dough: unmalted flour, water, salt, yeast.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 02:04:34 PM »
Thanks Craig! So you are saying use 62% water on my dough recipe (I'm new at this still and baker terms are still fuzzy) that's out of 100% of the caputo flour, 62% should be water?  And instead of stretching the dough I should just push it down like play doh?

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • BakersCalc
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 02:17:23 PM »
I had a lemon pizza with smoked scamorza, garlic, chili, & basil from here, I didn't think it would taste good but boy was I wrong! These guys like to play with their food :D
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 02:18:24 PM »
Yes, water = 62% of the flour weight. You might go a bit higher - maybe 64% - so it opens a bit easier.

When you stretch, it's easy to end up with thin spots that probably won't puff. You want a bit of thickness in the dough. The video is a good example of how to do it.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 03:44:35 PM »
I had a lemon pizza with smoked scamorza, garlic, chili, & basil from here, I didn't think it would taste good but boy was I wrong! These guys like to play with their food :D

In that "Parlor" place in the video? Did you also have some more "typical" stuff? Like a regular pizza? Are they good? It looks good but yeah their creations seem a bit crazy, they also seem to have ice cream cones but the actual cone is just pizza crust as well, they take the triangle slice and cut the crust then open it in the middle and put ice cream there.

Yes, water = 62% of the flour weight. You might go a bit higher - maybe 64% - so it opens a bit easier.

When you stretch, it's easy to end up with thin spots that probably won't puff. You want a bit of thickness in the dough. The video is a good example of how to do it.

Excellent, let me give that a try when we get around to making it and I'll keep you posted here whatever happens! My worry is that the mouth of my setup is a bit too narrow and if the bread does puff up like that then I wont be able to pull it out but I guess there are ways around that.

Thanks again, seriously :)

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • BakersCalc
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 04:00:21 PM »
Yes I've been to that exact spot, it's got a trendy hipster vibe to it and the staff is nice, only downside is the restaurant is very small. I think we also ordered a sausage pie and it was good too, no leftovers!
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 01:22:36 PM »
So I am going to have my sisters in law come over in about a week and apparently the two of them, my wife and daughter all unanimously want pizza, so there's a chance to pull this baby off for the desert. I hope I don't make a mess of things.

Lately Ive been managing to cool my deck temps off a bit in my grill attachment. I was getting up to 900+ and even higher on the dome and it was very difficult to control the pizza from not burning. It's probably due to the cordierite stone. I was getting bakes in about a minute, sometimes it felt like less but I wanted to try cooler temps, eventually I managed a combination of coal and wood that gets me a consistent 690 to 790 kind of temps, while sometimes going above 830 or so but still manageable, I just need to have the thermometer handy. The ceiling does get around 1000 pretty consistently.

I will make the pizzas under those temps, then when its time to make the desert, I am going to go full crazy and add more firewood and charcoal right under the stone and a lot of firewood to the firebasket to heat the ceiling, then I will put in the grill dome. Usually that combination of things makes the thing get so hot that I accidentally melted the plastic container where you store charcoal, simply because it was a couple of feet away from the spit.

When the oven grill gets at that temp, I will launch the high hydration dough and hope for the best.

For the pizzas I will use a regular caputo recipe with 60% hydration as Craig recommended in an older post but for the dessert I am actually going to open up a pack of delallo dough I have and try to hydrate it a bit more than the instructions say. Makes sense to me that the delallo dough would make a better dessert pizza because usually the taste is blander but it's great at puffing up.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:27:20 PM by kuhne »

wordpress