Author Topic: Storing leftover tomatoes from #10 can  (Read 78 times)

Offline peetzabone

Storing leftover tomatoes from #10 can
« on: Yesterday at 06:21:48 PM »
I couldn't find a post that speaks to this. How do folks recommend storing the unused portion of the #10 cans in the home? I took a flyer on a  can of "Nina" "sort of San Marzano" tomatoes because I was in Costco (and I'm desperate for decent tomatoes).  I"m making pasta sauce tonight and want to use the rest for the next few batches of pizza sauce.  How long do you think they'll keep stored in fridge? If I freeze- do they deteriorate from the process terribly?

Offline Jackitup

• Supporting Member
Re: Storing leftover tomatoes from #10 can
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 07:10:02 PM »
Ziplock freezer bags, squeeze air out just before you finish the zip shut, freeze flat. Thaw, whisk a bit, as good as before. Me, Chau and others tested this with little to no loss of quality.

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline peetzabone

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:19:34 AM »
Ziplock freezer bags, squeeze air out just before you finish the zip shut, freeze flat. Thaw, whisk a bit, as good as before. Me, Chau and others tested this with little to no loss of quality.

jon

Perfect!!  Thank you for the intel and that's as I suspected.  8)

Offline Jackitup

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:58:52 AM »
They do waterout a bit but as I said, a quick whisk brings them most of the way back. But sometimes I'll take the opportunity to drain them when thawed and reduce only the liquid and add back to the tomato pulp, concentrates things a bit and I can add other things also at that point without cooking everything. Mushroom powder, anchovie, fish sauce, wine, etc etc. Just some thoughts for you. It's been talked about in the sauces thread about adding that umami thing
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady