A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Burgers!  (Read 23442 times)

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Burgers!
« Reply #280 on: November 08, 2018, 08:10:59 PM »
Adding breadcrumbs or other starches is not necessarily a bad thing - it's called a panade. The panade coats the proteins and prevents them from linking too tightly, which would make the burger tough and squeeze out the juices. That's the reason meatloaf and meatball recipes almost always call for some sort of starch. I use a panade when making burgers from commercially ground beef, as I want to cook them well done. When making burgers from home ground beef, I cook to medium and don't bother with a panade.
I am pro-panade/breadcrumbs  in meatballs and meatloaf, but I'd skip it for burgers.

Online wotavidone

« Reply #281 on: November 08, 2018, 09:23:04 PM »
I am pro-panade/breadcrumbs  in meatballs and meatloaf, but I'd skip it for burgers.
Sounds fair. When I went looking for a recipe to show how we use the beetroot, I didn't notice the breadcrumbs.
If I was using them at all, I'd probably use those Japanese Panko crumbs.
They make the best schnitzels too, IMO.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #282 on: November 08, 2018, 11:20:49 PM »
Panades are wet, correct?
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Online wotavidone

« Reply #283 on: November 08, 2018, 11:59:16 PM »
I wasn't fibbing when I said I hadn't noticed the breadcrumbs in that burger recipe I linked.

My wife just got home from work. I asked her if she ever used breadcrumbs in her hamburger patties.
Very occasionally, if she had to make the minced meat go a little further, she said, :o
Usually she uses an egg to help bind her patties together. On the odd occasion where she was out of eggs, she might use breadcrumbs moistened with a little milk, she said.

There is a product over here called Hamburger Helper Seasoning Mix. The biggest single ingredient is bread crumbs. At least I've managed to get that stuff evicted from the pantry.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #284 on: November 09, 2018, 08:45:59 AM »
Panades are wet, correct?
Yes. My understanding was that a panade is dried, crumbled bread (not necessarily toasted) that is moistened with milk. I just looked online and it seems other combinations can be used and still considered a panade but I think of it as bread and milk.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #285 on: November 09, 2018, 08:50:44 AM »
My mother used to make something she called a French Hamburger. I think she got the recipe out of a magazine. It was seasoned ground beef with a panade mixed on that was formed into burger shapes and pan-fried. Seemed like a pan-fried meatloaf without a glaze. No doubt that they were good but I just never considered them burgers. Maybe because they weren't on a bun. Definitely going to try some beets the next time I grill burgers though

Offline bregent

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #286 on: November 09, 2018, 01:18:26 PM »
Yes. My understanding was that a panade is dried, crumbled bread (not necessarily toasted) that is moistened with milk. I just looked online and it seems other combinations can be used and still considered a panade but I think of it as bread and milk.

Yeah, I think they work best when it forms into a gel that coats the protein - so fresh bread and milk work best for that. But I think any kind of starch added will work to some extent when it combines with moisture in the meat.
I'll also say that lately all I've been making are smash burgers, which stay moist and tender even when cooked well done - no need for panade in those.
Bob

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #287 on: November 11, 2018, 08:14:34 PM »
Man these things are addicting... 2 oz hamburger with a slice of white American on a fresh baked bun. Topped with rehydrated minced onions and a pickle.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #288 on: November 12, 2018, 09:58:58 AM »
Baby burger crack  :-D
Norm

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #289 on: November 13, 2018, 08:46:03 PM »
Man these things are addicting... 2 oz hamburger with a slice of white American on a fresh baked bun. Topped with rehydrated minced onions and a pickle.

Oh yeah!  Can you get Martin's dinner rolls in your neck of the woods?  That's where it's at.
John

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #290 on: November 13, 2018, 09:31:06 PM »
Oh yeah!  Can you get Martin's dinner rolls in your neck of the woods?  That's where it's at.

I've never seen them, Orowheat makes a potato roll but that's the only one I recall seeing. Those fresh buns I made were good but there's something about that softness of a commercial roll that really works with these thin diner burgers.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #291 on: November 13, 2018, 10:47:09 PM »
I've never seen them, Orowheat makes a potato roll but that's the only one I recall seeing. Those fresh buns I made were good but there's something about that softness of a commercial roll that really works with these thin diner burgers.

Potato roll - probably close enough.  2 oz. patties are perfect.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 10:49:30 PM by jkb »
John

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #292 on: November 13, 2018, 11:16:05 PM »
Potato roll - probably close enough.  2 oz. patties are perfect.

I might have to do malted milkshakes next time to seal the deal!

wordpress