Author Topic: Brad's Pizzone Pizzas  (Read 5924 times)

Offline Pizza Baker

• I Love Wood Fired Pizza!
Re: Brad's Pizzone Pizzas
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2016, 08:13:08 AM »
Just found this thread, nice job on the Pizzone mods.
Jim

Online bradtri

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2016, 11:15:56 AM »
I call these pizzas "the case of the cold sourdough attempt".  I forgot to get my sourdough out of the fridge and feed it prior to making pizza dough, so I decided to experiment and see what would happen if I used sourdough starter directly out of the fridge.  It had only been in the fridge for a few days and hadn't collapsed down yet or developed a liquid layer.  The SD went straight to the bottom of the water when it was added ... no floating at all.

Dough was 65% hydration, 2% oil, 2.7% salt, 3.5% SD, 24 hours (16 bulk/8 balls) at 70F

I think things still turned out relatively good.  My biggest expectation was that it would be under-fermented. Not sure if they were or not ... I thought they turned out decent

My biggest problem is trying to figure out how to "scoop" out doughballs that have grown together when I put six in a doughmate plastic tray.  Any advice?  Even the plastic dough scraper sticks tremendously to the bottom of the dough balls...

1. Pepperoni
2. Tomato sauce and goat cheese for the bake, prosciutto, arugula and grated parm post-bake ... one of my new favorite pies

« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 11:22:23 AM by bradtri »

Online bradtri

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2016, 11:25:39 AM »
Just found this thread, nice job on the Pizzone mods.

Thanks Pizza Baker.  The only difficulty I introduced with the taller frame is that I'm a bit on the short side and it's a little bit of a stretch for me to lift the oven onto and off of the frame. 

Offline pizza party

• Vendor
  • The original Wood fired oven most versatile!
    • Pizza Party wood fired pizza oven
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2016, 07:19:43 PM »
 :chef: :pizza: :drool:
Simone
UK/US site: Wood fired oven Pizza Party
New shop online, save money by direct sales: Excellent offer home delivery to USA/CANADA + Wood fired oven Pizza Party + all taxes
Pizza Party facebook fans: Forni Pizza Party customers
italian official web site: Forni a legna Pizza Party

Online bradtri

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2016, 06:30:18 PM »
Some of this weekend's results:

1.  Had some leftover Ricotta cheese, so this is Ricotta with a little Monterey Jack and Prosciutto post-bake
2.  Nutella and Marshmallow pizza after the second bake.  (first bake is to inflate the dough and then put Nutella and Marshmallows on the inside) The shiny surface is the melted powdered sugar.
3.  Nutella and Marshmallow slices ... lots of gooey goodness
4.  Started making some extra doughballs and making these Ciabbata sandwich thingies ... really make for some great sandwiches

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:32:45 PM by bradtri »

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2016, 03:47:25 AM »
2nd & 3rd picture  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Please elaborate further how you made that pie - I have to try it.
Regards Mo

Online bradtri

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2016, 10:29:16 AM »
2nd & 3rd picture  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Please elaborate further how you made that pie - I have to try it.

Thanks PizzaManic.  It's definitely our "go to" dessert pizza these days.  Below is a picture containing some of the intermediate pics. 

Take a regular doughball and press it out flat edge-to-edge.  I'll generally leave it slightly thicker than for a pizza.  i.e. if the doughball normally makes a 12" pizza, I'll flatten it out to 10" for this.  You want to end up with a skin that is evenly thick.  I generally have to do a fair amount of pressing on the perimeter.

I'm successful about 80% of the time in getting the dough to inflate completely as shown below.  Sometimes, a leak will develop on the surface and it won't inflate all the way, but you can still use it.  After inflating, take it out of the oven, cut around the perimeter leaving about 2" attached to function as a hinge.  Spread Nutella and marshmallows and then close the lid.  Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar then back in the oven for a while to melt the insides and also to produce the "sugar shell" on top by melting the powdered sugar.  You can see in the pictures below was back when I was putting some powdered sugar on at the very end and not melting it.  But I prefer it melted.

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2016, 03:21:03 AM »
Thank you bradtri - appreciate the detailed instruction.
I will definitely give this a try.
Regards Mo

Online bradtri

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2016, 10:40:21 AM »
A couple pizzas from tonight.  Same recipe that I've been using for a while with Caputo, 65% hydration, 2.7 salt, 2% oil and 24 hour ferment at 65F with 10% Ishcia.

But, the crust was definitely more tender than normal.  Only thing I did different was move to the doughballs to a slightly warmer area as I thought they weren't fermenting fast enough.  Also went with 250g doughballs instead of 220g for our 12" pizzas.

First pizza is a brand new set of toppings for a SW style flavor.  Sauce was mayo/Sriracha with some other seasonings, toppings were black beans, shoepeg corn, Chorizo sausage, Monterey Jack cheese and some fresh cilantro applied post-bake.  Pretty tasty!!!

1. SW pizza
2,3. Pepperoni (does anybody else favor the larger sandwich-style pepperoni?   I get this from Walmart and we really like it)

Offline pizza party

• Vendor
  • The original Wood fired oven most versatile!
    • Pizza Party wood fired pizza oven
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2016, 11:16:46 AM »
awesome pizzas  :drool: :drool:
Simone
UK/US site: Wood fired oven Pizza Party
New shop online, save money by direct sales: Excellent offer home delivery to USA/CANADA + Wood fired oven Pizza Party + all taxes
Pizza Party facebook fans: Forni Pizza Party customers
italian official web site: Forni a legna Pizza Party

Offline pascom

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2017, 04:05:35 AM »
Cool!  :D

Online Ogwoodfire

« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2017, 11:27:21 PM »
Good looking pies Brad. I'm supeised how well the "cold" sourdough came out. Earlier in the thread you were speaking about extraction from the dough tray, in this video there's a quick example that helped me around 2:50 maybe you have seen it already.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 08:07:14 AM by Ogwoodfire »

Offline SAUZER.ITALY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2017, 03:06:14 AM »
good video !! Cirý is the number one  ^^^I had the honor to exchange a few words with him at the opening of the pizzeria 50 kalo. Great teacher .

Online bradtri

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2017, 12:20:33 PM »
Good looking pies Brad. I'm supeised how well the "cold" sourdough came out. Earlier in the thread you were speaking about extraction from the dough tray, in this video there's a quick example that helped me around 2:50 maybe you have seen it already.

Thanks Jay, great video, although he was moving pretty fast for me to get a good understanding.  I had three plastic doughmate trays with 5 balls each a couple days ago.  They came out of the trays real nice, but the dough was somewhat stiff for some reason and the doughballs were just touching each other a little bit so it was easy to cut them apart.  If I try to do 6 doughballs in a tray, they generally are sticking together too much for me to not mangle them.

I am totally lost with how to deal with very soft dough that has completely expanded together as per this example from Antlife:  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=40885.msg454992#msg454992

I use a plastic dough scraper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044FIYXW/?tag=pmak-20  but it still seems to stick quite a bit to the doughballs when I am trying to cut them apart. 

Would my metal scraper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HU1GII/?tag=pmak-20 be better?

I had some improvement the other day when I sprinkled flour over the whole box of doughballs.  Is that something that people normally do?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 12:48:37 PM by bradtri »

Offline robertscalchi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2017, 01:38:19 PM »
I have the doughmate trays and the pizzaone. If anything I find it much easier to lift the balls from the tray with the plastic doughmate utensil, rather than a 4 inch spackle knife. First if the balls grow together and touch. Take either utensil and come in on an angle, lever down, cut, lift and pull away rather than coming in flat to separate, lift, and pull away. You will get 3/4 of the pickup of the ball without disturbung the shape or air/inflation too much. Second. I've proofed with flour on bottom and proofed with light rub of oil on bottom and sides if container . Oil works better in my opinion in a plastic tray because of pooled condensation whether warm or cold rise.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 01:41:01 PM by robertscalchi »

Online bradtri

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2017, 04:43:54 PM »
First if the balls grow together and touch. Take either utensil and come in on an angle, lever down, cut, lift and pull away rather than coming in flat to separate, lift, and pull away.

Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure I'm completely visualizing what you are describing above.  Does this make sense?

Come in on angle:    utensil at 45 degrees
lever down:              reduce angle of utensil to 20 degrees
cut:                          push the utensil in underneath the dough ball
lift and pull away:     lift the doughball up and out of container

But, when the dough balls have grown together, this needs to be done at least on all three sides where other doughballs are being touched,no?

Do you do the above process on two of the seams and then on the third one remove the dough ball?

Online Ogwoodfire

« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2017, 11:05:23 PM »
I do sprinkle flour if necessary and use a metal spatula. I try to cut the dough ball so it seperates from the hemmed dough balls even if involves cutting some of that dough ball off. I than pick the doug ball out by essential scooping it from the tray while it lays flat on the spatula, flour, than reshape.