A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sauce Recipes for Chicago Thin Crust  (Read 35477 times)

Offline nick57

• In Memoriam
  • Rest In Peace - March 2020
Re: Sauce Recipes for Chicago Thin Crust
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2014, 12:36:49 PM »
I went a different route and contacted the local rep for Classico...(Heinz). I guess they are not making any canned products. I thanked him for his quick response, but did not mention that Great Value was almost a good as the Classico. I am taking his advice and I am going to order a 6 pack of Escalon crushed tomatoes. Here was his response.....

Unfortunately Wal Mart has discontinued that line of Classico products. We do have an exceptional product called 6 in 1 ground tomatoes in 28oz. cans but no one in the Tulsa Market stocks it. You can order on line - See web site attached - Thanks

Chris Craig
Sales Manager
Escalon Premier Brands
985.807.5192 - Cell
[email protected]
www.escalon.net

Offline Chicago 67

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2014, 02:34:07 PM »
Nice! Thank you. ill try it this week end. Very close to Aurillio's. Aurillio's is a bit sweeter.

Offline CMC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2020, 04:37:22 PM »
Red:

I may post this as a separate thread, to make it easier for people to find later, but here is the explanation.  Where I grew up, there were certain joints that did the crumbled sausage.  Still do.  It gives great coverage, and its saltiness is a counterbalance to the sweet sauce.

It had long stumped me how these places got the sausage to a format that would go on a pizza.  Like you said, you can't exactly "crumble" raw sausage.  It would just be a sticky mess.  And I've never seen a rangetop in one of these pizza joints, where they could be frying up the sausage beforehand.  I've tried that method, and it is terrible.  There is too much flavor loss, since frying renders out too much fat.  Ultimately, I don't know how we stumbled upon this method.  Someone might have tipped me off over at slice/seriouseats (Kenji or another commenter?), or my buddies and I just talked it through and figured it out.  It had to be accomplished by oven alone.  So the method is to make a thick, hamburger-like patty and bake it in the hot pizza oven (e.g., in a cutter pan or whatnot) for 5-7 minutes, which is just enough to get it to set but still raw enough that you're not losing too much flavor before going onto the pizza.

Crumbled Pizza Sausage
  • Remove sausage from casings or use bulk sausage
  • Form into large, thick hamburger patty, 8-12 oz in weight
  • Place in cutter pan or pie pan, etc.
  • Bake in hot pizza oven for 5-7 minutes until outside is browned a bit.  Do not overcook: the meat will be just set but still underdone and pinkish throughout the patty--no longer raw but not truly cooked, either.
  • Let cool for a few minutes until it can be handled or until room temp (your choice)
  • Use your hands to break it up or crumble it into the pan or directly onto a pizza (I prefer the latter)

Cheers,
Garvey

Not this style of pizza, but this weekend I did make pizza with a batch of crumbled sausage using the procedure above, using this sausage recipe:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17662.msg171285#msg171285

and a slight riff on this sauce recipe (more dried herbs, more black pepper, add a little red wine vinegar):
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=29780.msg298339#msg298339

The actual pie was a 12" pan pizza with a 24 hour, 70% hydration no-knead dough as discussed here:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=23064.0

I made it cheese-heavy with 12oz total: 4oz each of Chellino scamorza, LMPS mozz, & WMM.  Seriously good pizza, but sorry for no photos.

I apologize for necro-posting and for being a little off topic.  The pizza itself would be out of place in the Chicago forum, so it seemed wrong to start a new thread here, but I've been wanting to try this crumbled sausage procedure and I enjoyed the result immensely.  Thinking about that crumbled, fennel-heavy sausage has me salivating even now.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 08:54:06 PM by CMC »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2020, 06:17:39 PM »
I'm glad you posted this CMC. I've never done sausage crumbles on chi-thin crust pizza and am now going to try it.

In the 70s I also liked the pork topping crumbles on the pizza hut thin and crispy.

Is pork crumbles just ground pork or do most joints add seasoning to the ground pork before turning it into crumbles.... Anyone know?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 08:05:50 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline CMC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2020, 07:47:22 PM »
BTW, in my post above, where I started off by writing "not this style of pizza," the style I was referring to (and the thread I meant to post this in) is the Calumet City / Quad City style discussed in this thread, where I first read about the sausage method.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=36778.0

I must have had too many windows open while collecting all the various links I used for the different components.

To elaborate a little on the procedure, as I interpreted it, I started with the oven at 500° for the pan pizza I was preparing to make.  I pressed the sausage into a large burger-like patty and put it on a Pyrex pie plate. I baked it for about 7 minutes at which point it was cooked similarly to a medium rare hamburger. I cooled it still in the pie plate, then cut it into smallish pieces with kitchen shears, and then crumbled those pieces as small as possible with my fingers. Before topping the pizza with it, I stirred it around the pie plate to collect any loose liquid fat, so essentially any fat that rendered out of the sausage during cooking made its way into the pizza. Good stuff!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2020, 08:07:47 PM »
Thanks CMC. 🍻

Anyone know how to make the pork topping crumbles? 🙈

Offline CMC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2020, 08:45:44 PM »
Thanks CMC. 🍻

Anyone know how to make the pork topping crumbles? 🙈

I'm not familiar with PH pork topping, but a web search turned up this among some other results. The sounds like a  breakfast sausage flavor profile, which seems a little strange to me for pizza topping. Then again, maybe it's delicious.

http://www.devinalexander.com/pizza-hut-pork-topping/

Does that sound way off base, Bob?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2020, 09:05:30 PM »
I'm not familiar with PH pork topping, but a web search turned up this among some other results. The sounds like a  breakfast sausage flavor profile, which seems a little strange to me for pizza topping. Then again, maybe it's delicious.

http://www.devinalexander.com/pizza-hut-pork-topping/

Does that sound way off base, Bob?
yeah, it's definitely not sage breakfast sausage . I believe places like PH and Domino's, Papa John's maybe, still do the pork crumbles as a default if you order "sausage" and don't specify you want Italian sausage (chunks).  🎰

Offline CMC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2020, 09:14:34 PM »
I'm sure it wasn't that way in the 70's, and I suspect it's not what you're looking to recreate (lol), but what some of those chains pass for sausage is barely even recognizable as pork. In fact, I think some % of it actually isn't pork, but TVP (textured vegetable protein).

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2020, 09:38:06 AM »
To elaborate a little on the procedure, as I interpreted it, I started with the oven at 500° for the pan pizza I was preparing to make.  I pressed the sausage into a large burger-like patty and put it on a Pyrex pie plate. I baked it for about 7 minutes at which point it was cooked similarly to a medium rare hamburger. I cooled it still in the pie plate, then cut it into smallish pieces with kitchen shears, and then crumbled those pieces as small as possible with my fingers. Before topping the pizza with it, I stirred it around the pie plate to collect any loose liquid fat, so essentially any fat that rendered out of the sausage during cooking made its way into the pizza. Good stuff!

Yes!  This sounds perfect!

In the ensuing years since I first wrote this up, I saw a cooking show where a pizza joint was making this style of suasage by filling a hotel pan with a couple inches of raw sausage, baking it off until it set, and then running it through a buffalo chopper or some such to break it up. 

So taking a cue from that, I now use a food processor to chop up my par-baked sausage patties.  HTH!

Offline CMC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2020, 09:49:56 AM »
So taking a cue from that, I now use a food processor to chop up my par-baked sausage patties.  HTH!

I absolutely thought about doing that, and I agree it would probably be the best home method of breaking up the par-cooked sausage, but in the moment I told myself I couldn't justify washing the 4 separate parts of the FP to save myself what was probably a 3-4 minute job breaking it up by hand.  I was happy with the fineness of the crumbles I was able to break it down to by hand... but if I was ever doing a larger quantity of sausage, I'd definitely consider using the FP to break it down.  Thanks for your reply!

Offline CMC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2020, 11:31:48 AM »
yeah, it's definitely not sage breakfast sausage . I believe places like PH and Domino's, Papa John's maybe, still do the pork crumbles as a default if you order "sausage" and don't specify you want Italian sausage (chunks).  🎰

I'm sure it wasn't that way in the 70's, and I suspect it's not what you're looking to recreate (lol), but what some of those chains pass for sausage is barely even recognizable as pork. In fact, I think some % of it actually isn't pork, but TVP (textured vegetable protein).

Still curious, I found a list of ingredients for Pizza Hut's dough and toppings.  This dives even further off topic, but I wanted to correct an implication I made above which I found to be incorrect.

https://d3ixjveba7l33q.cloudfront.net/mobilem8-php/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/PH-Ingredient-Listings-English-June-2014.pdf

Pork Topping: Pork, Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Salt, Seasoning (Spices, Sugar, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Torula Yeast, Onion Powder, Flavor, Modified Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Beef Broth Powder, Silicon Dioxide Garlic Powder), Potassium Chloride.

So at least at PH, they aren't using TVP.  They do list soy protein concentrate (which is also in their pepperoni, "beef topping," and meatballs, but not in their Italian sausage).

From https://www.sausagemaker.com/soy-protein-concentrate-1lb-12oz-p/11-1018.htm :
Soy protein concentrate for sausage is used in smoked or cooked varieties to improve the meat’s consistency and flavor. The concentrate binds the fat and meat for a smoother consistency and minimizes shrinkage in the smokehouse by increasing moisture retention. Because it contains seven times more protein than meat alone, it can help improve the nutritional quality of your foods as well.

From wikipedia:
Soy protein concentrate is used in meat and poultry products to increase water and fat retention and to improve nutritional values (more protein, less fat).

That's all.  I won't veer this thread any further off-topic, I promise.  :)

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2020, 03:30:51 PM »
I absolutely thought about doing that, and I agree it would probably be the best home method of breaking up the par-cooked sausage, but in the moment I told myself I couldn't justify washing the 4 separate parts of the FP to save myself what was probably a 3-4 minute job breaking it up by hand.  I was happy with the fineness of the crumbles I was able to break it down to by hand... but if I was ever doing a larger quantity of sausage, I'd definitely consider using the FP to break it down.  Thanks for your reply!

Same.  One pizza's worth of sausage is one thing, but multiple lbs for a pizza party calls for higher tech.  Plus, I'm not the one who washes the dishes.   ;D

Offline Wengerski

• Extra Large, Double Sausage
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2020, 04:55:34 PM »
1 #10 Can Pizzaiolo Autentico
1 #10 Can Full Red Pizza Sauce with Basil
About 1/4 Cup finely chopped fresh Basil
2 Tbsp Oregano
2 Tbsp Dried Basil
1 Tbsp Marjoram
1 Tbsp Thyme

Offline md8232

« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2020, 10:40:29 AM »
1 #10 Can Pizzaiolo Autentico
1 #10 Can Full Red Pizza Sauce with Basil
About 1/4 Cup finely chopped fresh Basil
2 Tbsp Oregano
2 Tbsp Dried Basil
1 Tbsp Marjoram
1 Tbsp Thyme

Is there an easy way to scale down recipes like this one?
I make 2 pizzas Max and my freezers are already full of tasty meat.

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2020, 11:08:26 AM »

A #10 can is 109 fluid ounces.

If you're starting with a single 28 fl oz can of tomatoes like I often do, divide the other ingredients by approximately 3.89

That should get you in the range of a recipe that can cover 3 to 4 pizzas, depending on how much you use on each pizza.
 :chef:

* edit - additional info:
For the recipes that call for more than one kind of canned tomatoes, you might need to work with 15oz cans or half of a 28oz for each kind.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 11:13:25 AM by vcb »
-- Ed Heller - aka VCB (virtual cheeseburger)
-- Real Deep Dish Dot Com
https://www.realdeepdish.com/
https://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
https://www.twitter.com/RDDpizza

Help Me Pay the Bills:
https://paypal.me/edheller
https://cash.app/realdeepdish (or use the CashApp mobile app)

MAKING PIZZA AT HOME?
USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!
https://www.realdeepdish.com/deep-dish-equipment/

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2020, 11:25:52 AM »

For a single 28 ounce can of tomato product it roughly translates to:

1-1/2 tsp fresh basil
3/4 tsp oregano
3/4 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp thyme
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 11:28:11 AM by jsaras »
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2020, 12:11:21 AM »
I mentioned it on another thread but as much as I've experimented, I've gone simple/lazy lately but like the results...1/2 Pastorelli Pizza Sauce, 1/2 crushed tomatoes (don't have a favorite brand but use Cento a lot), and some Penzey's Pizza seasoning mixed in. Stir and refrigerate. Good to go!

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2020, 01:22:28 AM »
I mentioned it on another thread but as much as I've experimented, I've gone simple/lazy lately but like the results...1/2 Pastorelli Pizza Sauce, 1/2 crushed tomatoes (don't have a favorite brand but use Cento a lot), and some Penzey's Pizza seasoning mixed in. Stir and refrigerate. Good to go!

I often use Pastorelli, not bad for a prepared sauce!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali