Author Topic: Bacio Shredded Whole Milk Cheese  (Read 2125 times)

Offline TomN

Bacio Shredded Whole Milk Cheese
« on: February 07, 2014, 12:24:39 AM »
I got to try this cheese for the first time, at a local Pizzeria in my area. I really loved this cheese and might give it the edge over Grande. However, i have to do a side by side someday.

Has anyone on the forum done a side by side tasting of Grande and Bacio? I would love to hear your feedback on this! Thank you.

TomN

Offline JD

Re: Bacio Shredded Whole Milk Cheese
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 08:25:06 AM »
Ive done a side by side with the shredded provolone mix of both... bacio is much better than grande unless you want a very strong provolone taste. The bacio is very NY like to me.

JD's NY Style
JD's Neapolitan using my Pizza Party WFO

You cannot teach experience.

-Josh

Offline TomN

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 09:50:43 AM »
JD,

Thanks for the feedback. The Bacio cheese I had was Mozzarella. I really enjoyed it, enough to want to purchase a bag. Finding it, without going through a distributor or pizzeria friend, will be the real issue.

TomN

Offline JD

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 10:22:09 AM »
I agree, I used to get mine at a pizzeria but he recently switched to Grande so I cannot get it anymore.

Here is my thread from last year when I first tried the Bacio mix (it's half Mozz half Provolone)
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23484.msg238301.html#msg238301

Even though it's part skim, the flavor is great. If you compare the nutritional info, part skim is only 1 gram of fat less than the whole milk so it may only be 10% "part skim".
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 10:23:45 AM by JD »
JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline Zing

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 11:32:42 PM »
There is an older, 4 page thread on Bacio cheese here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19351.0.html

As for getting it, perhaps user Hobbs can weigh in if PFG's Chefmart's cash and carry stores sell  the Bacio line:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,29728.0.html

Bacio is a registered trademark of Leprino Foods.

EDITED to reflect that Bacio is trademarked by Leprino Foods, not PFG/Vistar/Roma Foods, but is exclusively sold by them.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:44:40 PM by Zing »

Offline TomN

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 01:37:30 PM »
Thank you Zing

Offline TomN

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 02:14:46 PM »
Visited Florida this week and hooked up with the same Pizzeria that sold me a bag of Bacio Cheese a year ago on my last visit. I noticed that they have gone to using the 50/50 blend of Bacio Cheese. I made pizza at the beach house for everyone and we all loved the pizza. I was really impressed with Bacio Cheese.

Offline JD

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 12:41:25 PM »
I used that cheese exclusively when I first got into pizza making, it actually is a surprisingly good cheese for part skim/pre-shredded. The provolone is very mild, almost undetectable.
JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline TomN

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 08:11:28 PM »
Just curious what cheese you use now and why you like it better? Thanks JD.

TomN

Offline JD

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 09:37:07 AM »
I use Saputo from Restaurant Depot. I can't say I like it better than Bacio, I wish I had a source here in NY so I can compare side by side.
JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 08:41:14 AM »
I get a block of Bacio downtown a few times a year and love it. I wish I could source online somehow. I've used with and compared against Grande and Saputo Gold that I get from Penn Mac. Bacio seems to me to be a best of both worlds.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 05:25:23 PM »
According to Sysco, Saputo Gold is a premium mozzarella designed to compete against Grande, Polly-O, and Bacio.

Ryan

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 05:50:23 PM »
According to Sysco, Saputo Gold is a premium mozzarella designed to compete against Grande, Polly-O, and Bacio.
Two 6lb'ers from Penn Mac due on door-step tomorrow.  ;D 

(Some Grande, too, though I wish they had the whole milk option. Not tried that yet.)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 06:29:48 PM »

(Some Grande, too, though I wish they had the whole milk option. Not tried that yet.)

What did you mean when you said Bacio was the best of both worlds? I have not yet tried Bacio. I like the Saputo Gold a lot.
Ryan

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 07:26:48 AM »
What did you mean when you said Bacio was the best of both worlds? I have not yet tried Bacio. I like the Saputo Gold a lot.
(disclaimer - Below is all me in my kitchen and my lack of skill. Some may find their experiences different. )
Ryan,
The Grande I use is the only one I can get for now. It's the Part skim one from PennMac. There is a taste to it that hits my palate in a certain spot with kind of a lingering bit of a savory factor. The texture isn't my favorite, and I have to be really careful to not turn my pie into a cheese cardboard thing. That happened to me just yesterday.

The Saputo Gold you know. Rich and keeps it's moisture better. Nice taste. Don't put too much on and the pie will likely be just fine. Etc , etc. It can be a bit too bland when not getting that fast NY rapid-rumble cheese and sauce boiling thing going. 

With the Bacio blocks I get, I get a similar palate to the Grande part skim that I described above. The texture, however, is more like the Saputo Gold for me. I'm much less prone to turning it into cheese cardboard. Coaxing that NY flavor out of it is very easy compared to the Saputo Gold.

So, that's my take on the three. The Bacio hits a similar flavor palate to the Grande (part skim) while getting my preferred texture out of the Saputo Gold. Perhaps even better. 

Roy

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 10:19:09 AM »
Thanks for the info and perspective Roy!
Ryan

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 03:23:13 PM »
Advert from this months PMQ - interesting they are using a little buffalo milk.

From their website:

Why is Bacio called “pizza cheese” instead of mozzarella?
Mozzarella, as defined by the FDA, does not include the mixing of cow and buffalo milk. However, our master cheese maker had a goal of creating the best pizza cheese in the world, and he found that it’s this very special combination that makes Bacio so exceptional.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 03:33:45 PM by invertedisdead »
Ryan

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 04:18:56 PM »
One of the owners of the place I get mine really talks up the point about the buffalo's milk moz in it. I'm sure I couldn't pick it out at gunpoint. Sure do like the whole product, though. :)

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 10:30:06 AM »
I got to try this cheese for the first time, at a local Pizzeria in my area. I really loved this cheese and might give it the edge over Grande. However, i have to do a side by side someday.

Has anyone on the forum done a side by side tasting of Grande and Bacio? I would love to hear your feedback on this! Thank you.

TomN

There are aspects of mozzarella cheese beyond just flavor, including melting, stretchability, texture and color.   I have only tried Bacio whole milk, so I cannot comment on the 50/50 or provolone mix. 

Both Bacio and Grande reside within top shelf pizza ingredients, sell for premium prices and are both IMO, excellent pizza cheese.  Differences are Bacio bakes a more pale white than Grande which bakes a yellow/orange hue producing visibly different pies  IMO, both have excellent melting and stretching and will sit and reheat well.  Bacio has a creamier flavor, and is made with whole milk supplemented with bufala milk, however know that the bufala is skim milk.   Grande tastes more aged.  Grande and Bacio also have different "tooth".  Grande has more body especially when cooling and will "sheet" and give the impression of thickness which allows operators to get away with less.  Other people may prefer the gentler, softer texture of Bacio.

Also, know that the shredded Bacio has powdered cellulose to prevent sticking.  Shredded Grande doesn't, but it doesn't stick either.  They pack in gas filled bags for shredded.  If going with Bacio, may want to go with the  loaf which has no powder.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 10:44:01 AM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline Don Cornicone

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 09:54:09 PM »

Awesome..how do you get the Bacio?  I have wanted to try that cheese, but they never emailed me back and I don't know of anywhere in central IL using it

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 06:17:50 AM »
Awesome..how do you get the Bacio?  I have wanted to try that cheese, but they never emailed me back and I don't know of anywhere in central IL using it
I lucked out. A Pizzeria located down-town has it and the owners let me buy a loaf when we go down there.

Offline Zing

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 10:29:24 PM »
One of the owners of the place I get mine really talks up the point about the buffalo's milk moz in it. I'm sure I couldn't pick it out at gunpoint. Sure do like the whole product, though. :)

To avoid rehashing the buffalo milk marketing hype, it was already discussed in these two threads:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=19351.0
I'm kind of proud of the posts I contributed to this thread.

and

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30138.msg303538

Forum member mivler posted a photo of a loaf of Bacio WHOLE MILK pizza cheese in this thread:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=19351.msg216495#msg216495

You will note that the last ingredient in the list is buffalo skim milk. Even the enzymes are above the buffalo skim milk.

EDIT:
I didn't notice the close parenthesis last night after "enzymes". Its pretty hard to tell what is in that cheese. They use the term "cultured milk", but I am unclear what the FDA will permit used in "cultured milk" when listed as an ingredient of cheese.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 08:49:22 AM by Zing »

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 11:49:52 PM »
To avoid rehashing the buffalo milk marketing hype, it was already discussed in these two threads:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=19351.0
I'm kind of proud of the posts I contributed to this thread.

and

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30138.msg303538

Forum member mivler posted a photo of a loaf of Bacio WHOLE MILK pizza cheese in this thread:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=19351.msg216495#msg216495

You will note that the last ingredient in the list is buffalo skim milk. Even the enzymes are above the buffalo skim milk.
No doubt it's hype. The odd thing to me is how some can say it's flavorless while others love the stuff. Different facilities making this stuff on low bid as you have said in other posts(IIRC), so what chance is there of rock solid consistency? I've lucked out.

Offline Zing

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 08:29:18 AM »
I had to correct my last post from tonight because I couldn't make out the ")" on the ingredients label.

However, PFG will not be able to find a lower price since Leprino owns the brand. Were PFG to drop Bacio, Leprino could always try selling to SYSCO or US Foods, now that their proposed merger was halted by a US District Court injunction, where upon they decided to call off the merger.

I did find a newer Vimeo video that no longer tries to conceal Leprino's involvement:

Source: vimeo video # 157164671

I am unaware of any other chilled pizza cheese offering  that Leprino markets through foodservice distribution under their own name. Sure, they bid on government mozzarella cheese procurement contracts all the time, and private label for foodservice houses. So like with any other halfway decent foodservice mozzarella put out by the likes of Lactalis (Sorrento, Galbani) Saputo, Kraft (Polly-O), etc. there will be legitimate differences of opinion. Some people may "love the stuff" because of something Leprino dumped into their "cultured milk".
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 08:42:22 AM by Zing »