A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina  (Read 337878 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina
« Reply #860 on: September 15, 2019, 11:37:30 AM »
Well, I gave this recipe a try and I must say it is really good. I especially love how easy it was to form the dough in the pan. I used the butter flavored crisco in the pan and that dough held like glue. I used the recipe with the 15% semolina and made enough for two 9" pies.Anyway, kids and I both enjoyed it very much.

Looks great Calli..... And welcome to the forum!!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Mjs16

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #861 on: October 21, 2019, 06:38:24 PM »
Do you simply omit the semolina or do you compensate with more flour?

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #862 on: October 22, 2019, 12:39:24 PM »
Do you simply omit the semolina or do you compensate with more flour?

If you are asking about the recipe in post #1 of this thread, you need to compensate.  You need the flour total to add up to the bigger number.  That is how the recipe was written if you go back and re-read it carefully, including the note marked with three asterisks (***).  Yes, it's hard to understand without the explanation in the notes.  HTH.

IOW, using that example, you actually need the total listed in the asterisked note, 190.25 g (161.71 g all-purpose + 28.54 g semolina = 190.25 g; or if you are not using semolina, 190.25 g all-purpose + 0.00 g semolina = 190.25 g).

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 12:44:19 PM by Garvey »

Offline camanodawg

« Reply #863 on: January 24, 2020, 04:07:32 PM »
You may have heard Mama (Donna Marie) Malnati passed a couple of days back - nice NPR remembrance...
https://www.npr.org/2020/01/23/799004204/remembering-mama-malnati-matriarch-of-chicago-deep-dish-pizza

Offline RHawthorne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #864 on: July 22, 2020, 04:40:20 PM »
Hey, everybody. Looks like I'm pretty late to this conversation, but I thought I'd throw in something I think others here might find interesting. A few years ago, I visited a Lou Malnati's location, and made my attempt at replicating their crust at home within a couple of days later. I, too, considered using semolina flour, but I settled on using a flour that I've never heard of anyone on this forum suggesting, and that is pasta flour. I know it sounds a little crazy, but I swear by the stuff in crusts like this, and I think it's something worth experimenting with in pizza dough in general. I felt that my Lou Malnati's 'clone' came off very well on the very first try, and I never really tweaked it after that, because I don't make Chicago deep dish style pizza very often. Anyway, I dug into my old recipes (as in, before I stared using weights and just used volumes), and found my recipe for Chicago deep dish crust a la Lou Malnati's, and here it is:

1 cup pastry flour (preferably) or all-purpose flour
cup pasta flour
cup warm water
cup corn oil
stick (6 Tbsp.) of butter
2 tsp. active baking yeast or 1 package quick-rise yeast
tsp. sea salt
tsp. sugar

Chill the butter well. Mix all ingredients except butter and knead for no more than five minutes by hand or on low speed in a mixer. Cover the dough in a bowl and let it rise in a warm place for 3 or 4 hours. When you're ready to make your pizza, preheat a baking stone or steel for 30 minutes in your oven at 425 degrees, and use olive oil to grease a 16" deep dish pizza pan (or a 14" pizza pan, and trim excess dough from the rim). Once the baking stone or steel is adequately heated, roll out your dough to the desired diameter, then cut the butter up in very small cubes. Distribute the butter cubes evenly in the pan, then press the dough directly into it, spread the dough as needed to fit the pan, and fill the dough with desired toppings. Place the filled pizza pan on the baking surface, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
I hope somebody will give this a try and tell me what they think. Trust me, the pasta flour really does the trick nicely in this application. It's not necessarily easy to find in a store, but it's worth seeking out.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #865 on: July 22, 2020, 05:57:50 PM »
Great report, RHawthorne!

Can you please tell us more specifically which pasta flour you're using - brand, etc.?  When I googled pasta flour, "semolina" came up, so I figured you must be using something more specific.  Thanks!

Edited: that question mark was supposed to be an exclamation point!  Lol
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 07:40:21 PM by Garvey »

Offline RHawthorne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #866 on: July 22, 2020, 07:02:15 PM »
Great report, RHawthorne?

Can you please tell us more specifically which pasta flour you're using - brand, etc.?  When I googled pasta flour, "semolina" came up, so I figured you must be using something more specific.  Thanks!
I don't recall the exact brand of pasta flour I used in the past. It's usually a blend of flours, including some durum semolina, hence the golden color. In my town, I don't really see it on store shelves any more. It's something you'd probably have to order online, unless you can find it locally.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #867 on: July 22, 2020, 10:00:59 PM »
Pastry flour?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline RHawthorne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #868 on: July 22, 2020, 11:37:52 PM »
Pastry flour?
Yes. That helps give it that biscuity flakiness we want, while the pasta flour gives it a little crunch.

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #869 on: July 23, 2020, 07:11:59 PM »
I don't recall the exact brand of pasta flour I used in the past. It's usually a blend of flours, including some durum semolina, hence the golden color. In my town, I don't really see it on store shelves any more. It's something you'd probably have to order online, unless you can find it locally.
In addition to using it for pasta, I sometimes put a little durum flour in pizza dough and no-knead bread. Good for dusting a peel or the top of a loaf of bread too. Love it. Good call!
-Tony

Offline RHawthorne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #870 on: July 23, 2020, 07:27:15 PM »
In addition to using it for pasta, I sometimes put a little durum flour in pizza dough and no-knead bread. Good for dusting a peel or the top of a loaf of bread too. Love it. Good call!
I regularly go with about 13% coarse ground semolina in my pizza dough for a little extra crunch. I used to use it at 25%, but I cut back to make it a bit softer. The stuff labeled 'durum flour' is supposed to be different, though. That's the fine ground stuff, and I really like that, too. Gives the crust a nice golden color and I think it's got great flavor.