A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tonight's Lou. Butter flavored crisco in the pan is night and day vs oil  (Read 93366 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
So Iíve been playing with this for years. I think I just had the best DD yet. The key is mixing the dough properly. Nate has a video of it somewhere.

7-28-2019
Updated recipe
325 g KAAP
5% semolina
50g oil - 1/2 evoo & 1/2 avocado oil - thatís ~15%
160g water - ~ 50%
2% salt
1% sugar
1/2t yeast
250g mozz
48 hour ferment

Painted unsalted melted butter on inside of crust, put regular sauce on bottom (I know this is not traditional but adds flavor and prevents dryness). Lined bottom(on top of sauce) with pepperoni, 6oz sausage (Garvey recipe), spread mozzarella over that then put small jar(12 oz) of drained 74/40 on top (no seasoning needed). Cook @425į- convection - for 15 minutes, rotate and finish for another 10 minutes. Da Bomb!

Yes, yes, yes.... Looks like just what I needed....I like the reverse method to keep away from a water bomb.... I'm on this one Doc...grasias pizza pal... Nice work!!   :chef:

She's a beauty. 👩‍🚀
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline drmatt357

• I Love Pizza!
Thanks there Bob. Good to be back and great to hear from you!

Offline novawaly

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Tonight's Lou. Butter flavored crisco in the pan is night and day vs oil
« Reply #402 on: August 01, 2019, 08:53:53 AM »
So Iíve been playing with this for years. I think I just had the best DD yet. The key is mixing the dough properly. Nate has a video of it somewhere.

7-28-2019
Updated recipe
325 g KAAP
5% semolina
50g oil - 1/2 evoo & 1/2 avocado oil - thatís ~15%
160g water - ~ 50%
2% salt
1% sugar
1/2t yeast
250g mozz
48 hour ferment

Painted unsalted melted butter on inside of crust, put regular sauce on bottom (I know this is not traditional but adds flavor and prevents dryness). Lined bottom(on top of sauce) with pepperoni, 6oz sausage (Garvey recipe), spread mozzarella over that then put small jar(12 oz) of drained 74/40 on top (no seasoning needed). Cook @425į- convection on a stone, middle rack- for 15 minutes, rotate and finish for another 10 minutes. Da Bomb!

Great looking pie. Do you mind going into a little more detail about mixing mixing process (tried to find the link to Nate's video that you referenced and couldn't)

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #403 on: August 01, 2019, 10:01:35 AM »
Avocado oil?  Is that like adding ginger?   :-D

Offline drmatt357

• I Love Pizza!
Tonight's Lou. Butter flavored crisco in the pan is night and day vs oil
« Reply #404 on: August 03, 2019, 12:45:23 AM »
Great looking pie. Do you mind going into a little more detail about mixing mixing process (tried to find the link to Nate's video that you referenced and couldn't)
[/quote]

I get all my dry ingredients in a bowl and mix them with a whisk. I then add oil. I then take a tablespoon and mix the dry ingredients from the side of the bowl to the center as I rotate the bowl around. DO NOT BREAK UP THE CLUMPS OF OIL!!!

Once the oil doesnít soak up any more flour, then you can add water. I then continue to mix the same way with the spoon from the edge of the bowl to the center while rotating. Thereís going to come a point where you will just have to use your hand. It will probably need about half a dozen squeezes and take the ball and wipe the sides of the bowl clean.

This is what the dough kinda looks like. This has risen but you can still see the clumps of oil and non homogeneous appearance.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 12:50:25 AM by drmatt357 »

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #405 on: August 03, 2019, 12:24:37 PM »
^^ this.  It's kinda like cutting fat into flour for pies, pastries, or biscuits.  Normally, those are solid fats (shortening, butter, lard), but it's the same concept here for deep dish.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #406 on: August 03, 2019, 12:35:16 PM »
It's how we made dough in the pizza joints back in the 70's...... Start out with only flour, salt and lard in the bowl and use the big wisk. Few minutes to pebble stage then switch to the hook, slowly add in the wet.

Offline ATLBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #407 on: September 09, 2019, 11:03:23 PM »
Gentlemen,
Itís been a while.  Life got crazy, made a few pizzas, lost my password, couldnít remember the email address I used and yada, yada, yada I finally got my hands on some fresh yeast.  Iím making my first fresh yeast deep dish this Friday.  Pics below are from a couple weeks ago.  Iíve added a bit of garlic powder to the crust.  It gives it a little something extra.

-The pizza maker formerly known as SDBob

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #408 on: September 12, 2019, 09:48:10 AM »

Welcome back Bob!
And good luck with the new yeast.  :chef:

Offline ATLBob

• I Love Pizza!
Thanks Bob!  Iím going to be making a Chicago thin pretty soon, so Iíve got to read through some of your threads.  I ended up getting a cheap version of the green egg (Acorn) and it has been awesome for making thinner styles.  It gets up to around 700F, so the crusts on my thin styles have turned out as close to a real pizzerias as Iíve ever been able to make.

So I went with 3tsp of the fresh yeast which is 3x what I use for ADY.  I honestly didnít see a big difference.  It tasted a bit better, but that may be in my head.  If I did a blind taste test Iím not sure Iíd be able to tell the difference.  I did a 14hr ferment at room temp then put in the fridge for 8hr.  Dough hadnít relaxed enough from when I kneaded it, so I had a bit off pull back (you can see it made for a lower and fatter top edge) when I was pressing it out in the pan, but other than that everything was normal.

wordpress